Trash,trash everywhere!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaldenPride. Show MaldenPride's posts

Trash,trash everywhere!

With the nice weather I have been taking walks around town and I can't believe how filthy this city really is! It's disgusting! Does anybody clean around their buisness or home?  Why do people have to throw their cans and bottles, cigarettes, gum wrappers, lottery tickets, etc. anywhere they want?  Wouldn't it be nice if everyone picked up after themselves so we could live in a clean city that everyone could be proud of?  Never mind the dog feces.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Re: Trash,trash everywhere!

In Response to Trash,trash everywhere!:
    [QUOTE]With the nice weather I have been taking walks around town and I can't believe how filthy this city really is! It's disgusting! Does anybody clean around their buisness or home?  Why do people have to throw their cans and bottles, cigarettes, gum wrappers, lottery tickets, etc. anywhere they want?  Wouldn't it be nice if everyone picked up after themselves so we could live in a clean city that everyone could be proud of?  Never mind the dog feces.
    Posted by MaldenPride[/QUOTE]

MaldenPride,

We have rising numbers of section 8 recipients and low-income folks flooding this city, not known for their cleanliness, neighborly attitude and social harmony in general. What do you expect from this crowd of misfits and truants?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MAJusticeOfThePeace. Show MAJusticeOfThePeace's posts

MaldenPride,

How funny that you posted this tonight. I just had a conversation tonight with my hubby and son tonight, after I took an hour long walk with my dog today, which started on Pierce Street, to Salem Street, Lebanon Street, Bainbridge, and many other side streets, etc. I was disgusted by what I saw! I had to drag my dog towards me so many times, either because he almost walked on broken glass, or he was going after the unbelievable amounts of dog feces left by pet owners! The filth that I witnessed was overwhelming! I wanted to give him a bath the minute I got him home!

Having said that, (I am speaking for myself) I honestly have no right to blame the city, nor the home owners, or business owners (YET!). I only say this because we are only now just heading into spring. We’ve no clue if it’s the city just not caring, if the homeowners or business owners are just not picking up their trash because it was too cold outside, or if it was people who walked by, or drove by, and tossed out their trash. We need to give everyone a chance to get outside now that it is getting warmer, to clean up their properties. I will say that my street was cleaned this week by the city, so they are on top of things.

Now, here is where I will probably tick people off!  If, on another walk, on the very same route that I took today, that there has been no progress of clean-up, then I say that the city should start fining them. There will be no excuse!

I also want to send out a message to dog owners who walk their dog(s) without bringing along what is called a “dog feces bag”. What right do you have to own a dog, if you do not care for them? Caring for them is not only loving them, but caring for them is also cleaning up after them when they have relieved themselves on other people’s property. A simple plastic bag in your pocket will do just fine. Just do the right thing if you care for your dog, or others for that matter. It is called CLASS and simply the right thing to do!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Amen. My daughter remarks daily how "people are wude - lookit dis trash, mummy!"

Sometimes she just calls them yucky.

And yeah. I stepped in a pile running on Monday night. I have to look down when I run to make sure I don't trip but it was dark and I missed the spot. We're always picking up other people's rubbish from our driveway and garden though. It's pretty appalling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from buddykerr. Show buddykerr's posts

if there is even a slight breeze on rubbish day, the 'guy' across the streets sidewalk fare will inevitably end up in my driveway. i'll not pay a fine for discarded products that were never in my home to begin with. take leaves. one side of the street has none, the other,my side, leafs from trees indigenous to the berkshires. i do'nt have any trees around my dwelling, just LEAVES! i am already subject to fines when i'm sloooow to clear the snow that blows and drifts from across the street to my side. the neighbor clears his snow with his kitchen broom, while i have to call in toro plowing services just to locate my sidewalk. fair? nobody said it was fair. however, i know one thing. i'll not blame 'low-income, or section 8', people for  making the streets of malden unkempt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Thank you, buddy!  I was a little put off by the comment about low-income section 8 people as well...there are some pretty well-heeled people who can be pretty sloppy.  A slob is a slob regardless of income level...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldengirl. Show maldengirl's posts

I think getting recycling barrels instead of those little recycling bins would do a lot to help the trash issue in Malden.  I believe that paying for trash bags has forced many to increase the amount they recycle. The little bin given to each household is simply not big enough.  This is apparent when you look at any given street in the city on trash day....a little wind comes and trash is all over the street. All the neighboring towns have big recycling bins, so why doesn't Malden? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

Maybe the city should start fining the offenders for littering the streets in Malden. Money talks.

And also have city representatives go to schools and hold sessions with students to teach them not to litter, and clean up after themselves when in public.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kkhath. Show kkhath's posts

Everyone talks of fining home owners and businesses for not cleaning the trash.  But the city has no moral standig since it is the implementing a short sighted trash policy.  Those tiny blue bins with no lids will result in trash and recycling blowing everywhere on trash day.

On top of that the trash hauling company does not bother to pick up anything that is not in the blue containers.  Can we review the city's actual contract with these guys?  What is their Standard Level of Service agreement with the city?

I agree with buddy.  If you gave ppl big bins with lids the trash problem will resolve itself. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

In Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere!:
    [QUOTE]... On top of that the trash hauling company does not bother to pick up anything that is not in the blue containers.  Can we review the city's actual contract with these guys?  What is their Standard Level of Service agreement with the city?... 
    Posted by kkhath[/QUOTE]

kkhath:

Once, JRM made a mess on my street while picking up the recycling bins on trash day. I called DPW the next day and complained about it. Guess what? The next time, JRM did a much better job and there has not been any more messy incidents on my street. It's a matter of picking up the phone and making your voice heard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KaysieMae. Show KaysieMae's posts

I believe it's everyone's responsibility to keep their lawn and sidewalks in front clean of rubbish.  I wonder when JRM will start taking brown bag recycling as the temps are like May weather and I  really can't start to clean my yard area until they start accepting leave bags.  And, just letting you know that some people have neighbors who never rake or do not own a rake even if there are trees in their yard.  What do you do about them?  They let their leaves blow all over during the winter months and if you are in one of those high wind areas that get their leftover leaves....I'm tired of cleaning up after them!   I am hearing that JRM is already signed with the city for 20 years with a new contract last year.    So where does that leave us for any new negotiations on a big recycling bin? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

KaysieMae,

Yard waste pickup usually starts in April and goes through November every year, you can check the city's website for more information at this link:

http://www.cityofmalden.org/Curbside-Yard-Waste-Pick-Up/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the house of seven porkshops. Show the house of seven porkshops's posts

Posted by anotherman:

We have rising numbers of section 8 recipients and low-income folks flooding this city, not known for their cleanliness, neighborly attitude and social harmony in general. What do you expect from this crowd of misfits and truants?

----------------------------

I guess in addition to your assessment, we should also add, "ignorant, snobbyass elitsts"?  What a fine example of citizenship.  I bet you're a wonderful example to your kids.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fiveof5. Show fiveof5's posts

I walk this city almost every night or day, it is a mess and it has been since PAYT has been implented and the reality of it is, nothing will change and the city will just continue to deteriorate.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

[QUOTE]I guess in addition to your assessment, we should also add, "ignorant, snobbyass elitsts"?  What a fine example of citizenship.  I bet you're a wonderful example to your kids.
    Posted by the house of seven porkshops[/QUOTE]

porkshops:

I don't have kids, but if I did, I would be a fine example of citizenship to them (no pun intended), as I would teach them not to litter in the streets and to respect private and public property, as I do, thank you very much.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the house of seven porkshops. Show the house of seven porkshops's posts

That's great to hear!  Will you also teach them to stereotype those that they'd consider lower-class?  Like, if there's trash laying around, it's gotta be anyone who lives in Section 8 housing, because they're poor and filthy.  Right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

porkshops:

Give it a rest, ok? What I do in my household, including teaching my kids proper behavior, is really none of your or other people's business, unless there is any negative consequence.

All I have to say regarding the trash littering the streets in Malden, is see for yourself, then drive to other places like Medford and Melrose, and do the comparison.

I'm done talking to you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the house of seven porkshops. Show the house of seven porkshops's posts

You think Medford and Melrose don't have section 8 housing?  HA HA HA HA

The point is that your post seems to blame all of the "lower-income" folks for the trash problem in Malden.  Unfortunately for your theory, there are thousands of non-section 8 residents, like, people who own their own houses, who are doing just fine littering the streets on their own:

- putting their trash bags out the night before so the raccoons and possums can tear through the bag

- stacking their recyclables up until the bin overflows, and when a minor gust of wind comes it blows all of the cans and bottles and boxes all over the place

- leaving their lawn waste bags in the same place for months

etc
    etc
    etc

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

^^^ Yup. I see these upstanding parents' kids tossing their trash all over the playgrounds too; middle/upper-middle class mums leaving water bottles behind when they take their kids home; home owners ignoring the trash that's blown out of their bins to the front of their homes.

But really, let's be honest. Malden was dirty before PAYT too. Stop kidding yourselves. That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved back - a year before PAYT was implemented.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the house of seven porkshops. Show the house of seven porkshops's posts

Hellgirl!!

I didn't live here before PAYT, so you're right, I have no frame of reference before then.  But before I lived here, I lived in Arlington, and we had the same problem without PAYT also.  Arlington is hardly a "section 8" or "lower-income" community.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

House - Yeah, I drive through Arlington each day on my way to work. In fact, I drive through the projects there...which is usually cleaner than most of the Malden streets around us. I know that I pick up trash that's definitely not generated by our household but has blown into our yard/drive/along our fenceline...as do our landlords who live below. Not everyone on the street feels compelled to do the same though. It's...sad. But then, I always have a shopping bag in my courier for when I go to the playground too, especially Trafton.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the house of seven porkshops. Show the house of seven porkshops's posts

Hellgirl, I probably know the area you're talking about.  I used to live in an apartment about a block away from there.  Now that I think back on it, that was a pretty clean area.... surprisingly so.

The thing is, that this is a city.  A city with over 60,000 people in it... trash happens.  Maybe less complaining and talking about how much this city sucks, and more suggestions or actions -- like, for instance, carrying a shopping bag around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

That's it. I'm sick to death of the way that the most vocal citizenry is the last to take practical action - and the first to blame everyone else "not from here". I've said it before and I'll say it again:

There is an element within Malden that treats the city like a bedroom community, some sleepy 'burb that's suddenly been overrun. The T has been here forever and a day, but it's all the T's fault. Downtown Boston is a few mile drive, but it's all Boston's fault. The truth is that a low property value and low tax base has made Malden profitable for absentee landlords who'll rent to anyone; that previous elected officials felt that sober homes were a Really Good Idea; that Malden, of all of the cities in the metro area of it's ken has been the last to embrace the arts or attempt to capitalize on it's proximity to the city or the T by revitalizing it's downtown and making it accessible and trendy for the demographic that's done so much to re-face other communities.

We aren't a 'burb. We also aren't affluent. We like to be lazy and whine instead of organizing and getting to know one another. And yep. Trash happens.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

[QUOTE]porkshops: Give it a rest, ok? What I do in my household, including teaching my kids proper behavior, is really none of your or other people's business, unless there is any negative consequence. All I have to say regarding the trash littering the streets in Malden, is see for yourself, then drive to other places like Medford and Melrose, and do the comparison. I'm done talking to you.
    Posted by anotherman[/QUOTE]
    other
    Pork needs to take his glasses off. You are 100 % correct. Malden has way too many section 8 vouchers. It is those who think they are entitled to all the social programs, but refuse to go along with what is good for our city. They will not do anything for Malden except take take take.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Uhmmm....are folks *listening* to hellgirl???