Trash,trash everywhere!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from porkshop, take the wheel. Show porkshop, take the wheel's posts

Re: Trash,trash everywhere!

Hellgirl was addressing my posts, but they were removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

hellgirl:

You talk about taking practical action, well, I do my part to keep my yard and driveway clean and free of debris and trash.

As far as organizing the community, I've written a number of times to my ward councillor regarding issues of crime and trash, but lately, he has not been responding to my emails. What am I supposed to do? Harass him? And I don't want to run for office, I just loathe the dirty game of politics.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

Dog feces in the streets is appalling, disgusting, reprehensible, a total embarassment to a community - AND only one of many issues I've been dealing with for more years than I care to count. Who's accountable? Certainly not absentee landlords who allow their tenants to do whatever they want because after all it's a guaranteed check in the mail at the taxpayers expense.  Where do I file for an abatement?!Yell

In Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere!:
    MaldenPride, How funny that you posted this tonight. I just had a conversation tonight with my hubby and son tonight, after I took an hour long walk with my dog today, which started on Pierce Street, to Salem Street, Lebanon Street, Bainbridge, and many other side streets, etc. I was disgusted by what I saw! I had to drag my dog towards me so many times, either because he almost walked on broken glass, or he was going after the unbelievable amounts of dog feces left by pet owners! The filth that I witnessed was overwhelming! I wanted to give him a bath the minute I got him home! Having said that, (I am speaking for myself) I honestly have no right to blame the city, nor the home owners, or business owners (YET!). I only say this because we are only now just heading into spring. We’ve no clue if it’s the city just not caring, if the homeowners or business owners are just not picking up their trash because it was too cold outside, or if it was people who walked by, or drove by, and tossed out their trash. We need to give everyone a chance to get outside now that it is getting warmer, to clean up their properties. I will say that my street was cleaned this week by the city, so they are on top of things. Now, here is where I will probably tick people off!   If, on another walk, on the very same route that I took today, that there has been no progress of clean-up, then I say that the city should start fining them. There will be no excuse! I also want to send out a message to dog owners who walk their dog(s) without bringing along what is called a “dog feces bag”. What right do you have to own a dog, if you do not care for them? Caring for them is not only loving them, but caring for them is also cleaning up after them when they have relieved themselves on other people’s property. A simple plastic bag in your pocket will do just fine. Just do the right thing if you care for your dog, or others for that matter. It is called CLASS and simply the right thing to do!
    Posted by MAJusticeOfThePeace

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

In Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere! : other Pork needs to take his glasses off. You are 100 % correct. Malden has way too many section 8 vouchers. It is those who think they are entitled to all the social programs, but refuse to go along with what is good for our city. They will not do anything for Malden except take take take.
    Posted by fscib52

yes, scib- totally agree - but they're here and it's like it or lump it, put up or shut up...you would'nt even believe what I've gone through...you just wouldn't even believe it...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fugghedaboutit. Show fugghedaboutit's posts

In Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere! : porkshops: I don't have kids, but if I did, I would be a fine example of citizenship to them (no pun intended), as I would teach them not to litter in the streets and to respect private and public property, as I do, thank you very much.
    Posted by anotherman

Well I do have kids and they've been witness to the likes of what the other "elitist" snobby people here are talking about - I am neither elitist nor snobby but I've surely got a different attitude toward a certain type element I've had the pleasure to deal with - never even knew what all these government programs were, but I do now -  I would aid/help/donate to anyone in need regardless of their bank account - My kids have seen way more than they should have - What it boils down to is a couple of little words - RESPECT - COMMON DECENCY - when you're dealing with a certain type of element you are not going to find anything remotely resembling those words. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mad dog. Show mad dog's posts

[Why is it section 8  or low income people are always blamed for everything in this city. First of all i am not on section 8 . I live in a very nice neighborhood in the maplewood section where there are several of my neighbors who are on section 8 that actually go out and sweep the sidewalks. I own my own home and have never swept my sidewalk so who would you like to blame section 8 or a homeowner that lives in the house. So before you shoot off your mouth look around its homeowners like myself that dont give the time to sweep up in front of our properties. Oh yes i forgot to mention that i am handicapped and cant do the clean up work so maybe you would like to put your energy to use and help the city come back to the all american city we had years ago.
    QUOTE]In Response to Trash,trash everywhere! : MaldenPride, We have rising numbers of section 8 recipients and low-income folks flooding this city, not known for their cleanliness, neighborly attitude and social harmony in general. What do you expect from this crowd of misfits and truants?
    Posted by anotherman[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

In Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere! : [Why is it section 8  or low income people are always blamed for everything in this city. First of all i am not on section 8 . I live in a very nice neighborhood in the maplewood section where there are several of my neighbors who are on section 8 that actually go out and sweep the sidewalks. I own my own home and have never swept my sidewalk so who would you like to blame section 8 or a homeowner that lives in the house. So before you shoot off your mouth look around its homeowners like myself that dont give the time to sweep up in front of our properties. Oh yes i forgot to mention that i am handicapped and cant do the clean up work so maybe you would like to put your energy to use and help the city come back to the all american city we had years ago. Posted by mad dog

mad dog:

The problem with Malden is that there are fewer and fewer homeowners who actually live here, and they rent their properties out to tenants who don't take care of the surroundings and contribute to the trash problem. Among these tenants are a cross section of section 8s, low income and recent immigrants.

In my case, two of my neighbors are homeowners and take care of their property just fine. Two others are tenants and they don't have any problem with disposing of their trash, as one has a landlord that hires a contractor to clean up. It's just that one multifamily next door, with an absentee landlord, that has transient tenants coming and going every year, who don't really know how to dispose of trash and recyclables. One time they put trash in multiple small plastic bags out in the open by their side entrance. I had to speak to one of them and tell him that these trash bags would attract rodents, and told him to put them in a large trash bin and cover them. He actually understood and made the effort to comply, but I'm sure that there are many other tenants in this situation who would not think twice about putting trash in little plastic bags out in the open. And the guy was Asian, did not speak English well, so I am assuming he's a recent immigrant to this country.

So, you mention about putting my energy to good use, well, I can assure you that I am doing my part in this whole thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

So by your census of 5 houses, both owner and tenant occupied, with only one of those 5 homes being an offender (and it sounds like at least one tenant in said home was humbled by your education), we can conclude that the trash problem is a direct result of immigrants and poor people and not contributed to, in any way, by people of all walks of life littering.

Oddly enough, given a census of 5 homes immediately surrounding my own, the largest trash generator is a single family, non-immigrant, owner-occupied home. After that are kids and some adults from all socio-economic strata in our neighborhood that throw their wrappers on the ground and leave drink bottles, cups, and cans on business windows and switchboxes or all over the parks. The third is from wind blowing recyclables out on trash day.

If I expand my census to include my entire street, the homes with the dirtiest fencelines from trash being blown around are also single family, owner-occupied, non-immigrant, with middle-class owners.

But your conclusion defnitely allows us to target specific groups which is a much nicer feeling, so we'll go with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mad dog. Show mad dog's posts

I drive through medford and melrose and see trash in different parts of there city all over the place. As far as malden i have been a resident for over 50years and this problem did not start with payt. We had this problem well before this program was implemented. If this bothers you and you are able to go out and help pick up the trash to help beautify malden once again then by all means do so. I myself would love to be able to do this but i cant because i am disabled. I have to rely on paying people to help me clean my property. So instead of people using their negativety to complain use it to help clean up this fine city and try to bring it back to the ALL AMERICAN CITY we once had. It can start with you and moving forward with others following in your footsteps.......n Response to Re: Trash,trash everywhere!:
    porkshops: Give it a rest, ok? What I do in my household, including teaching my kids proper behavior, is really none of your or other people's business, unless there is any negative consequence. All I have to say regarding the trash littering the streets in Malden, is see for yourself, then drive to other places like Medford and Melrose, and do the comparison. I'm done talking to you.
    Posted by anotherman

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fscib52. Show fscib52's posts

I have a trash story. I own a 3 decker in dorchester. i call it "the crack house" When i bought it, the basement door was kicked in. There were crack pipes, used needles, and even a sawed off shotgun in the basement. I went there Saturday for a spring cleaning. Trash littered the back yard. I had to shovel the debris. One pile stunned me. It was a bag of lobster bodies and shells. the bag came from the bad tenant. I had to go to a hearing with this tenant and her social worker. (non payment of rent)
    The social worker was trying to make her understand that her rent was a priority. I probably should not have heard this but she recieves $564/month food stamps, $506/month aid, has a car, has a free phone, pays under $100 in rent, told me she would pay her rent when her tax money came back.
    How does she get tax money back, when she does not work.
    And she buys lobsters for her and her two small children. i think that she is dropping her trash bags out of the 2nd floor window. They are broken open, then ripped apart and scatter by animals.
    At least I don't have to see this in Malden, but unfortunately, some of our neighbors (Fug) is seeing it in our city.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Trash flying all over on trash day is not only a Malden problem. It's everywhere. You have one sloppy or careless neighbor, and he/she can ruin the neighborhood.
    I agree those recycling bins are much too small. In our town they are only picked up every 2 weeks, which always make them overflow - even for a household of just two people.
    I solved the problem by purchasing - on sale - two large trash barrels with lids. One for paper and one for glass/plastic. Then I went to the town hall and got large stickers that said: Recycling. Stuck them on the barrels and have now used them for over 25 years. That comes to about 40 cents a year for each barrel. Good news is, that our neighbors started following suit, and our street is never messy any more.
    Ok, so I paid for them myself. Sometimes one has to do that. But the truth is, that those $20 I spent is a lot lot less, than if my town had to purchase them, distribute them for free and have us pay for them with our tax dollars. - Pingo

13. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts