Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change

More of the same, the Malden city council (with the exception of Councillor At Large Fallon) has decided that we need to change the structure of our city government without bringing this change to the people of Malden to vote on this important issue which will change the current financial structure of our city government.

The City of Malden charter which is not easily available for the citizens of Malden to view (despite many requests to post it publicly) is now before the state legislature to be changed.  Our council voted 8-3 in favor of this charter change, with the exception of Councillor at Large Deborah Fallon and 2 other councillors (both of these councillors  wanted an even more stringent version of the change) 

In summary, the Charter (which is similar to a constitution for our city) will be changed to add a Chief Financial Officer to our city financial structure.  This change will shift the current balance of power in city government which is an integral part of democracy.

Adding this 100K position to our city government will not solve an oversight problem which our mayor and city council are responsible for.  Under the watch of some current councillors and our current Mayor, over 500K was embezzled from our treasurer's office.

Changing to a CFO position will not fix this issue of oversight.  Our city leaders had a responsibility to hold our financial officers responsible for this lack of oversight.  A CFO position will not resolve this issue (google City of Lynn, CFO and you will see for yourself).

The council will still have input on this position but there is no need to change a system that works with the correct oversight in place.

Councillor at Large Fallon advocated at the state house this week in front of our state legislature. She asked our legislature to vote against this charter change.  She is of the belief that the voters of Malden should make this decision. 

There is no need to push this change through without allowing Malden voters to given an opportunity to vote on a change in financial structure within their own city government.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats2012Champs. Show Pats2012Champs's posts

Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change

Yes spend more money on an election. AWESOME.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Pats

No response I guess. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

In Response to Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change:
    [QUOTE]More of the same, the Malden city council (with the exception of Councillor At Large Fallon) WRONG AGAIN- the vote was 8-3, (dictator Fallon isn't the only one up there remember)has decided that we need to change the structure of our city government without bringing this change to the people of Malden to vote on this important issue which will change the financial structure of our city government. Wrong Again- at the many CHARTER REFORM PUBLIC MEETINGS that were held, the public was polled and not one single person suggested administrative changes should be on the ballot.  I was at meetings where people stated that the elected officials (yes, they are elected by the people) would make those decisions based on the feedback from the public and that having a vote each time an administrative change came up (ie: redefining an existing position) would tie the system up and be very costly. 
    The City of Malden charter which is not easily available for the citizens of Malden to view (despite many requests to post it publicly) Posting the Charter change on the website is currently in the works. Fallon should really keep up to date with what is happening in her own government!  is now before the state legislature to be changed.  Our council, with the exception of Councillor at Large Deborah Fallon  voted in favor of this change. Wrong ONCE AGAIN, Kinnon and Nestor also voted against the change.  PLEASE get your fact straight!  You lie to the public- the people you are supposed to be protecting. In summary, the Charter (which is similar to a constitution for our city) will be changed to add a Chief Financial Officer to our city financial structure.  Once again, WRONG.  They are converting an EXISTING position. This change will shift the balance of power in city government which is an integral part of democracy. WRONG AGAIN, the appointing authority stays with the city council!  You have to keep up with the changes, this was decided and voted on in a committee meeting. This was what Fallon was asking for all along then switches her vote.  She really should try to stay focused.  
    Adding this 100K position to our city government will not solve an oversight problem which our mayor and city council are responsible for.  WRONG AGAIN! Nothing is ADDED, it is reforming an existing position.  Please do your homework, this is our city governement we are talking about. Under the watch of Councillors and current Mayor, with the exception of Councillor at Large Fallon and Councillor Murphy, over 500K was embezzled from our treasurer's office. Changing to a CFO position will not fix this issue of oversight.  Our city leaders had a responsibility to hold our financial officers responsible for this lack of oversight.  A CFO position will not resolve this issue (google City of Lynn, CFO and you will see for yourself) that this type of charter change does 3 things: Adds a 100K a year position to the city payroll Relinquishes our council of fiduciary responsibility for which they are elected Diminishes the balance of power, now in place, as city government was so intended. I already addressed these lies (Does not add a position, it reforms a current one, the power does not switch THE COUNCIL STILL APPOINTS AND OVERSEES!  If Fallon can't even stay on top of the changes and facts of her current position, how is she going to stay on top of the entire city's budget, adiministration, and school committee?  This is very frightening to me.  Councillor at Large Fallon advocated at the state house this week in front of our state legislature. She asked our legislature to vote against this charter change.  She is of the belief that the voters of Malden should make this decision.  There is no need to push this change through without allowing Malden voters to given an opportunity to vote on a change in financial structure within their own city government. 
    FALLON did NOT listen to the people of Malden at the public meetings.  Nobody suggested that a vote was necessary.  Fallon did nothing but misrepresent the people of Malden at this meeting.  She also made it look like the city did not understand what was being added or changed which is not true by the multiple public meetings that were held in Malden. Shame on you for speaking for us and making us look bad!
    Listen up- you do not SPEAK for ME or many of others in Malden. Get your facts straight before going to a State House meeting and making it appear underhanded.  This does nothing but bring our public image down.  
    GARY CHRISTENSON represents the people of Malden. He understands and can keep facts straight on what is happening in Malden government.  Malden Citizens BEWARE, the lies and misrepresentation Fallon is spreading should NOT be tolerated. 
     VOTE in NOVEMBER for the experienced Candidate who can keep the facts straight and who will represent us favorably!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Educated one this is harsh:  Lies did you say?

He understands and can keep facts straight on what is happening in Malden government. Malden Citizens BEWARE, the lies and misrepresentation Fallon is spreading should NOT be tolerated.

The fact is that the people should vote on a change to the financial structure of the city.  Without oversight, adding a 100K a year position does nothing to end corruption in city government.

FALLON has been consistent on this issue and listens to her constituents quite well.

FALLON believes the people have a right to vote on changes to the city charter which IS NOT made readily available for interested citizens to read.

FALLON has a right to attend the state house meetings which by the way, were not publicly posted on our city website for Malden voters to weigh in on.

Educated one, there are no lies only a difference of opinion.  In a democratic society people can have different opinions.

FALLON has a right to speak on behalf of the constituents who disagree with creating this postion without taking it to the voters.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

In Response to Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change:
    [QUOTE]Educated one this is harsh:  Lies did you say? He understands and can keep facts straight on what is happening in Malden government. Malden Citizens BEWARE, the lies and misrepresentation Fallon is spreading should NOT be tolerated. The fact is that the people should vote on a change to the financial structure of the city. (The FACT is that people don't think it's necessary and believe the RESTRUCTURING of a CURRENT position is a good idea).  Without oversight, adding a 100K a year position does nothing to end corruption in city government. (NOT adding a position- these are the LIES I was refering to.  It's either a lie or she doesn't understand and I am not sure which is worse).FALLON has been consistent on this issue and listens to her constituents quite well. FALLON believes the people have a right to vote on changes to the city charter which IS NOT made readily available for interested citizens to read. (FALLON does believe that, but according to the people that were heard from in Malden, they do not- hence the dictatorship.).  FALLON has a right to attend the state house meetings which by the way, were not publicly posted on our city website for Malden voters to weigh in on. (Of course she has the right to attend, and I am glad to hear she actually showed up.  However, I am personally offended by how she represented Malden.  I am a citizen of Malden and I am educated and I am embarrassed that she doesn't have her facts straight.)  Educated one, there are no lies only a difference of opinion.  (WRONG- the lie is that she is spreading that the power is shifting from the council.  This is an outright lie.  See above for full description of how the power is STAYING WITH THE COUNCIL.  Second lie - that a new position was ADDED.  No, it is restructuring a current one.)

Humor me- tell me what she is actively pursuing as an alternative.  Real actions, not words.  At least Gary is offering solutions to remedy the problem and researching these solutions with facts.  We are in a struggling economy we don't have time for people like Fallon who just complain without offering anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Educated ONE

This is not a dictatorship.  Therefore, the PEOPLE should decide at the voting booth on these important issues.

According to one councillor in today's news, he is around city hall all the time and no one has mentioned the CFO, so therefore he is makiing the assumption that ALL of Malden's voters must not be entitled to vote on such issues.  These are the SAME councillors who were in the position to provide oversight when the 500K went missing and the same councillors who DID NOT hold those who were in charge responsible for oversight and NOW we are suppose to "trust" them on this issue. 

Absolutely not, I am a voter and I want to vote on an issue that is this important.

If it is the right thing to do, let's take it to the voters. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

Educated ONE This is not a dictatorship.  Therefore, the PEOPLE should decide at the voting booth on these important issues. According to one councillor in today's news, he is around city hall all the time and no one has mentioned the CFO, so therefore he is makiing the assumption that ALL of Malden's voters must not be entitled to vote on such issues.  These are the SAME councillors who were in the position to provide oversight when the 500K went missing and the same councillors who DID NOT hold those who were in charge responsible for oversight and NOW we are suppose to "trust" them on this issue.  Absolutely not, I am a voter and I want to vote on an issue that is this important. If it is the right thing to do, let's take it to the voters. 
    Posted by incorruptibility

Well, I guess you should of showed up at the meeting and got your request on record!  The Public Meetings were held SPECIFICALLY to ask for he PUBLIC'S opinion on the revising the current position to a cfo position.  I was at the meetings, people asked questions, voiced their opinions and no one suggested it being brought to a vote. I did hear a citizen say that his questions have been answered, and it should go in for a charter change.  He also brought up the cost of putting an administrative change for a vote was not a fiscally sound idea.  If we put every administrative change up for a vote, it would be a waste of our tax payors money. The people VOTED the councillors in to make these types of changes.  There are some changes that deserve a vote, this is not one of them.  The meetings were advertised in local papers, MATV, email lists, mail drops, Facebook,city website and word of mouth.  If the voters were that concerned, it would have been a packed house as it was for the trashbags.  This was a very well advertised meeting to the public and their voice was heard!
    ALso- the entire reason for revising the position to the CFO was because of the oversite!  This is a way to ensure it won't happen again.  Please school me on exactly what Fallon's plan is to ensure this type of thing doesn't happen again.  Oh, right SHE DOESN'T HAVE A PLAN.
    It should be noted that Gary added the Act amending the charter for filing of initiative petitions.  Lowering the percentage needed for passage.  Once again, Gary takes action when he sees something doesn't work.  Does she even realize that she is voting no to something she claims to support?  I thought she wanted the voice of the people heard?

CHRISTENSON is the people's Advocate.  He has the experience and education to run this city. He does not get confused by how our government is run.  Now is not the time for on the job training.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalMaldenVoter. Show LoyalMaldenVoter's posts

I WANT DEB FALLON AS MAYOR.......I WANT A CHANCE TO VOTE ON ANY CHANGES TO THE CITY CHARTER........

VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE'S ADVOCATE.....

EVERYONE THAT SUPPORTS DEB FALLON DOES SO BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE THAT SHE WILL THE BEST MAYOR THE CITY HAS SEEN IN 14 YEARS.... SHE HAS THE EXPERIENCE AND THE PLANS TO BRING THE CITY BACK FROM WHERE WE ARE AND MOVE FORWARD.

VOTE FOR DEB FALLON

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

The PLAN is to let the PEOPLE vote when they go to the voting booth.

I don't see the problem.  If you trust the voters, let them decide on this important issue.

FALLON supports the right of the people of Malden to be heard at public meetings AND at the voting booth.  If it's the right thing to do, the people can make that decision.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

The PLAN is to let the PEOPLE vote when they go to the voting booth. I don't see the problem.  If you trust the voters, let them decide on this important issue. FALLON supports the right of the people of Malden to be heard at public meetings AND at the voting booth.  If it's the right thing to do, the people can make that decision.

I agree one hundred percent on the people choice.  Can you please explain how she expects to pay for all these city wide votings?  The reason you VOTE for your councillor is so your voice is heard through them.  The people DID speak and it wasn't to put it to a vote.
    I asked for a PLAN on how to stop the theft from occurring again. 
    Actually, why don't you give me a PLAN for ANYTHING??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LastMaldenite. Show LastMaldenite's posts

So based upon your warped sense of reasoning:

Fallon=Kinnon=Howard=Nestor.  Oh my god I can't believe it.  FALLON=KINNON=HOWARD=NESTOR

The truth is finally out.  Fallon is HOWARD Heavy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Actually

Kinnon and Nestor had written an even more exclusionary version of CFO charter change.  They only voted against it because it wasn't  the original document they had crafted.

You can keep trying to knock Fallon.  It's not working.
    FALLON's vote is building more and more each day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

Actually Kinnon and Nestor had written an even more exclusionary version of CFO charter change.  They only voted against it because it wasn't  the original document they had crafted. You can keep trying to knock Fallon.  It's not working. FALLON's vote is building more and more each day.

I only reply to the posts that need corrections.  See above at your OWN STRAND of discussion- I was replying to your original post that was spreading rumors and half or no truths about Gary Christenson.  
    Typical "Victim" strategy.  Throw out BS, but cry when you are called on it.  
    Fallon voted "against" the charter change that would make it possible for the initiative petition to be passed by lowering the percentage of votes needed.  What kind of people's advocate is that?

Vote Fallon if you want a Dictator.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

active/educated: Did you know there was over $900K leftover after everything was budgeted out? I doubt there would be a special election on such a matter but it could've been put on the ballot this fall for the people to decide before we shuffled it off to the State whose members may not have any opinion on it nor do they care if it appears this is something the citizens want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

I can see it now with driver getting a lower percentage needed to pass something! He'd have the most ridiculous things on the ballot and people don't always read these things so God knows what he'd come up with-phones and offices for the Harbor Master to start? As a member who worked very hard on the trash tax, I realize we needed to work a little harder to get out the vote and accept that. Too bad the city didn't think we needed voters to turn out. We may have passed the darn thing! For those who think we've accepted it is over, think again. Deb Fallon has listened to the people and knows what has to be done.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

AnnieOMalden---- First it seems you have not read the President Job Bill just like Deb Fallon did when I Gave her an overview and the Massachusetts attachments which she did not on tuesday when i gave her them. About getting the vote out most of the citizens already know nothing will change in Malden because of the Corruption that is in City Hall. Have her put a motion on the Floor at
    the next Council Meeting to have the City Charter posted on the Web. Other cities have theres and even have copies for the residents to purchase or at the library to read.
     (more than one copy)
    Bet you have not read the Overview or the massachusetts attachment that was available to all the workers at deb fallons office
    but seems no one has read them.
    to purchase

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

driver: You won the bet! I have not read it and have no intention of reading it. It's above my pay grade to have anything to do with a Jobs Bill submitted by the President of the US to the Senate and the House of Reps. No one is going to ask me about it and I will leave that to the Governor to decide what he wants to do. Go bug Deval. Leave me out of this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scootcha. Show scootcha's posts

Educated ONE This is not a dictatorship. 

It is also not a direct democracy but a representative one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

scootcha: You are so right. The election will decide what kind of representational democracy we have. Deb Fallon best represents the citizens in this city who are struggling to make ends meet and raise a family. She represents the seniors who are afraid to leave their house after dark or go to the pharmacy to pick up their meds. Or even answer their door. She best represents the young people trying to get an education in a safe, clean school. She best represents those of us who feel we don't have a voice.

This city has been run by a "club" of those who have an air of entitlement. I am speaking of one who was not born and raised here and how I have been made to feel by those who have. We have been here since 1984 and still are made to feel we are the "outsiders" and no matter how much or how long we support this city it does not belong to us. My sons were born and raised here but that is not enough. How many have left this city yet still milk this cash cow because they are from here? The percentage is staggering. Clearly out of whack if there were not the family ties existing in this administration.

The theft at city hall was done by one of those people with family ties who has managed to get away with a minimal jail term. Swept under the rug and long forgotten. She was given too much consideration for her family ties as there had to be no doubt this woman was under the influence of drugs.  Even if there was a CFO in place no one would have found the theft as she had administrative access to the processing of the checks. It took a junkie dropping a dime on her at another city's police station to bring this out. How stupid do you think the citizens are? Pretty stupid I guess as it will be business as usual with the election of the same old people.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

And here is the bottom line, the voters should have the opportunity to vote on a charter change. 

FALLON believes in giving the people an opportunity to vote on integral changes to city government, especially when it involves, changing our financial structure.

FALLON speaks on behalf of those citizens who want a more transparent city government.  She believes in oversight and personal responsibilty rather than cover up, embezzlement, and corruption, all of which has gone on under the current administration and many of the council members who sit on that council today, including gc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetActive. Show GetActive's posts

driver: You won the bet! I have not read it and have no intention of reading it. It's above my pay grade to have anything to do with a Jobs Bill submitted by the President of the US to the Senate and the House of Reps. No one is going to ask me about it and I will leave that to the Governor to decide what he wants to do. Go bug Deval. Leave me out of this.
    Posted by AnnieOMalden

So you can leave a nation wide jobs bill to the Govenor to figure out what to do with it because this is a representative form of government, and this bill is above your pay grade. But you don't think the Malden City Council can make an administrative change without a citywide election. Even though this change came at the Governors request via the State Auditors.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

Whoa there EducatedONE. Settle down. I stand corrected, the original version of the charter proposal was indeed changed at FALLON's request.  . The point is the PEOPLE should vote on the change in financial structure.  Especially when many of the current council members lacked the ability to provide oversight and  accountability of our financial officers during the embezzlement of 500K. In Response to Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change:
    In Response to Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change :
    More of the same, the Malden city council (with the exception of Councillor At Large Fallon) WRONG AGAIN- the vote was 8-3, (dictator Fallon isn't the only one up there remember) has decided that we need to change the structure of our city government without bringing this change to the people of Malden to vote on this important issue which will change the financial structure of our city government. Wrong Again- at the many CHARTER REFORM PUBLIC MEETINGS that were held, the public was polled and not one single person suggested administrative changes should be on the ballot.  I was at meetings where people stated that the elected officials (yes, they are elected by the people ) would make those decisions based on the feedback from the public and that having a vote each time an administrative change came up (ie: redefining an existing position) would tie the system up and be very costly.  The City of Malden charter which is not easily available for the citizens of Malden to view (despite many requests to post it publicly) Posting the Charter change on the website is currently in the works. Fallon should really keep up to date with what is happening in her own government!   is now before the state legislature to be changed.  Our council, with the exception of Councillor at Large Deborah Fallon  voted in favor of this change. Wrong ONCE AGAIN, Kinnon and Nestor also voted against the change.  PLEASE get your fact straight!  You lie to the public- the people you are supposed to be protecting. In summary, the Charter (which is similar to a constitution for our city) will be changed to add a Chief Financial Officer to our city financial structure.   Once again, WRONG.  They are converting an EXISTING position.  This change will shift the balance of power in city government which is an integral part of democracy. WRONG AGAIN, the appointing authority stays with the city council!  You have to keep up with the changes, this was decided and voted on in a committee meeting. This was what Fallon was asking for all along then switches her vote.  She really should try to stay focused.    Adding this 100K position to our city government will not solve an oversight problem which our mayor and city council are responsible for.   WRONG AGAIN! Nothing is ADDED, it is reforming an existing position.  Please do your homework, this is our city governement we are talking about.  Under the watch of Councillors and current Mayor, with the exception of Councillor at Large Fallon and Councillor Murphy, over 500K was embezzled from our treasurer's office. Changing to a CFO position will not fix this issue of oversight.  Our city leaders had a responsibility to hold our financial officers responsible for this lack of oversight.  A CFO position will not resolve this issue (google City of Lynn, CFO and you will see for yourself) that this type of charter change does 3 things: Adds a 100K a year position to the city payroll Relinquishes our council of fiduciary responsibility for which they are elected Diminishes the balance of power, now in place, as city government was so intended. I already addressed these lies (Does not add a position, it reforms a current one, the power does not switch THE COUNCIL STILL APPOINTS AND OVERSEES!  If Fallon can't even stay on top of the changes and facts of her current position, how is she going to stay on top of the entire city's budget, adiministration, and school committee?  This is very frightening to me.   Councillor at Large Fallon advocated at the state house this week in front of our state legislature. She asked our legislature to vote against this charter change.  She is of the belief that the voters of Malden should make this decision.  There is no need to push this change through without allowing Malden voters to given an opportunity to vote on a change in financial structure within their own city government.  FALLON did NOT listen to the people of Malden at the public meetings.   Nobody suggested that a vote was necessary.  Fallon did nothing but misrepresent the people of Malden at this meeting.  She also made it look like the city did not understand what was being added or changed which is not true by the multiple public meetings that were held in Malden. Shame on you for speaking for us and making us look bad! Listen up- you do not SPEAK for ME or many of others in Malden. Get your facts straight before going to a State House meeting and making it appear underhanded.  This does nothing but bring our public image down.   GARY CHRISTENSON represents the people of Malden. He understands and can keep facts straight on what is happening in Malden government.  Malden Citizens BEWARE, the lies and misrepresentation Fallon is spreading should NOT be tolerated.    VOTE in NOVEMBER for the experienced Candidate who can keep the facts straight and who will represent us favorably!!
    Posted by Educatedmaldonian

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongTallSally. Show LongTallSally's posts

An absolute shame that we residents have to see what happens at City Hall with managers not fired for overseeing this employee.  They quietly retired and are still getting a city pension!   Above all, this person should be paying back every month a portion of her paycheck to our community and/or in community service work. 

I, as a taxpayer, would want to be able to vote for this major change in our city's charter.  I agree that this should be voted upon.  Did your councilor ask any of you how YOU would vote on this important issue?  I did not get to vote on the Dog Park and you all know how important that was to the people around Trafton Park and Ward 6 area.  That just shows you how you would think your councilor is voting for you but in reality HE ISN'T.   Who knew it was coming to Ward 6?  Was it in a newsletter at the time?  NO!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnieOMalden. Show AnnieOMalden's posts

Getactive: This is more than an administrative change. This is a restructure of the city charter. We still follow the charter changes from 1950! The power shift towards the Mayor is a considerable proposition. It begs the question, if the council loses power over the reporting of this vital city function, what do we need so many of these councilors for? In this modern day of being able to report potholes and street lights out, why do we need 8 ward councilors? Why not just have 3 or 4 At-Large councilors? Since we're making changes, let's really change things up!

You're really nitpicking here, you know? It is not up to me to get involved in the Jobs Bill and I have no intentions of doing so. This local stuff is plenty for me!

Sections
Shortcuts