Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change

This local stuff is way beyond you Annie No.  You and Sally don't even understand that we have a representative government not a town meeting.  What a disaster that would be giving your little crew any say would be a disaster.  Fortunately our cities past leaders understood it was getting to big and complex with to large of a population to have it run that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from incorruptibility. Show incorruptibility's posts

MVParent

You should learn to spell check before you start demeaning others.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

There needs to be a Charter Commission study that the State Legislature will mandate the City of Malden to hold elections to elect people from each ward to study and make changes to it. The public would get the opportunity to vote then--EDUCATED YOU UP FOR THAT?

This would probably have to be done now in 2013, as that is the next municipal election. I have asked a number of times, publically and privately if this was going to take place and I think that I am on the record for the Initiative Petition Charter change, when I asked for it then.

Annie O knows that Acts 1950 of the Charter is what governed the ballot question. It is not posted AND it WAS ALSO PROMISED this year by members of the Council to be scanned and the ENTIRE Charter online. There are copies of it--three reams of paper thick! Great to just carry around with you down Pleasant Street.

The tools of Democracy are never to be placed on the backburner. Get an intern to scan the document and have someone who understands-post it online. Oh, that would be work and the loss of control that the city has over its population. 

Now to the topic of the PUBLIC HEARING on Beacon Hill............thank you, all 11 councilors and three state reps for letting the public know that this was happening this week. I recieved a notice from the State Senator and sent her a position paper on it----I had it written for school--don't any of you hacks marginalize me and call me Car54....and write to me if Obama saw it or something like that.

I will paraphase the Mass DOR's auditor on his opinion of the CFO's position---it is not the end all or be all for the financial reporting in Malden. 

Politics in Malden has become an insulated political insiders game. This continuance of miscommunication must stop and I would recommend that we hire a communications director, leave the Treasurer as is and get the Charter Commission to change the way we have no transparency in our governmental laws.

I would hope that the new Councilors will see that as a major issue and address it next year when they are all installed in January with the new mayor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

Getactive----the governor does not oversee the state legislature. Give it a rest, have you read the Audit?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

MVC you wrote: This local stuff is way beyond you Annie No.  You and Sally don't even understand that we have a representative government not a town meeting.  What a disaster that would be giving your little crew any say would be a disaster.  Fortunately our cities past leaders understood it was getting to big and complex with to large of a population to have it run that way.

Really? Framingham and a progressive city like Brookline-which are in the Malden Audit Report as example by the Mass DOR are TOWNS. Why do they have this form of government and Framingham is the largest Town in Massachusetts with 76k+ population? Please, spare me your political insights and spins, when we could have parts of the town hall meeting. I for one, since I was a kid, would never lower myself to kiss the ring fingers of the Council for sponsorship at one of their meetings. Didn't we win that war over 220+ years ago. For proper representation, that listens to us? Sorry, but I have my reasons against this format, and it really has nothing to do with the trash bags.

BTW--MVC I know what a representative government is and so does Annie O. We all get a lessen of it every Tuesday night..you should join me this week. 

Also Melrose let's the population speak at its meetings. You know that after the novelty wore off, the public would very rarely use it--our current school committe employs this democratic technique, right? No kiss the ring fingers there, right?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

1775andstillademocrat-----nothing is going to change in this election
    because both candidates have not made their changes Known or has
    submitted papers showing what they plan for malden if elected.
    Next--the City Council will not put the Charter on Line and will not make it available to the public to read unless you ask where than you need to find the time. Like most Public documents (bills) it alway
    written with a lot of pages and confusion for the public to read --I am up to 70 pages on the Jobs bill and it is mind blowing and confusing.
    Bob when i travel around on good days I go to other cities and find out what they are doing politically and for the residents and read the
    minutes of their meeting which seems takes forever for this city to do. Every Meeting minutes should be posted but is not because the
    Mayor and City Council and their clerks were told not to post them and how the votes were taken and any discussion in their committees this all Public information.
    Finally---the vote for charter change or cfo shoul be done by the
    people and when the public votes it should not have a quota before
    changes can be implemented--If the vote is against a proposal and
    it wins 5-2 but the council & mayor uses the quota system that not
    enough votes were cast does not fit the American Way of the Voter
    is the final decision maker right or wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

In Response to Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change:
    I WANT DEB FALLON AS MAYOR.......I WANT A CHANCE TO VOTE ON ANY CHANGES TO THE CITY CHARTER........ VOTE FOR THE PEOPLE'S ADVOCATE..... EVERYONE THAT SUPPORTS DEB FALLON DOES SO BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE THAT SHE WILL THE BEST MAYOR THE CITY HAS SEEN IN 14 YEARS.... SHE HAS THE EXPERIENCE AND THE PLANS TO BRING THE CITY BACK FROM WHERE WE ARE AND MOVE FORWARD. VOTE FOR DEB FALLON
    Posted by LoyalMaldenVoter

Good for you!  Enen though I do not agree with your choice, you have the right to your opinion.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

And here is the bottom line, the voters should have the opportunity to vote on a charter change.  FALLON believes in giving the people an opportunity to vote on integral changes to city government, especially when it involves, changing our financial structure. FALLON speaks on behalf of those citizens who want a more transparent city government.  She believes in oversight and personal responsibilty rather than cover up, embezzlement, and corruption, all of which has gone on under the current administration and many of the council members who sit on that council today, including gc.
    Posted by incorruptibility

Well, thank goondess she believes in it.  What exactly has she done about it?  What are her plans to be sure this doesn't happen again?  Oh that is right, NO PLANS AT ALL.  Is this who you really want to run a city?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

Whoa there EducatedONE. Settle down. I stand corrected, the original version of the charter proposal was indeed changed at FALLON's request.  . The point is the PEOPLE should vote on the change in financial structure.  Especially when many of the current council members lacked the ability to provide oversight and  accountability of our financial officers during the embezzlement of 500K. In Response to Re: Voters Deserve to Vote on CFO Charter Change :
    Posted by incorruptibility

Question- did she suceed in getting this on the ballot?  Of course she didn't.  She hasn't completed one thing she strives for! If she wanted it on the ballot why didn't she makde sure it gets done?  Name ONE thing she has accomplished.  She sure wants a lot of things, but if you can't do the work to get them done, please move out of the way for the people who CAN get things done.
    Gary Christenson for Mayor- he gets the job done!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maldenaction. Show maldenaction's posts

Hey Edumacated, Did Gary get a doggy park for ward 1? No?, Ya, I didnt think so, any raised crosswalks? did he purchase any vacant lots with taxpayer funds?.....these seem to be things you like to see get done! I dont think Gary has gotten any of these done....no?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WantOutofHere. Show WantOutofHere's posts

We got to vote on the other charter changes over the years, so I don't why we are being denied our rights to get to vote? Simply, the new CFO position most likely will be given to Howard, in exchange for the endoresement he gave Gary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongTallSally. Show LongTallSally's posts

MVC Parent does spell check but can't decifer which one to use - to, too; city's or cities, their or there, etc.  Ok then....parents aren't as smart as their MVCS children! 

I agree that the councilors represent the people but when it comes down to something as important as this.....don't you think he/she should reach out to the people in ward to see how they feel in an email or telephone call?  People that he/she knows who faithfully continue to watch the meetings at City Hall.  Sorry, but here I don't agree with the councilors having all the say.  Voters deserve to vote on CFO charter change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anotherman. Show anotherman's posts

driver: You won the bet! I have not read it and have no intention of reading it. It's above my pay grade to have anything to do with a Jobs Bill submitted by the President of the US to the Senate and the House of Reps. No one is going to ask me about it and I will leave that to the Governor to decide what he wants to do. Go bug Deval. Leave me out of this.
    Posted by AnnieOMalden

Well said, Annie!

Alas, words are not enough to put Driver54, aka Mr-Know-It-All, into his place, because he comes right back with his nonsensical raves and rants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

Hey Edumacated, Did Gary get a doggy park for ward 1? No?, Ya, I didnt think so, any raised crosswalks? did he purchase any vacant lots with taxpayer funds?.....these seem to be things you like to see get done! I dont think Gary has gotten any of these done....no?
    Posted by maldenaction

I'm sorry, is this supposed to me something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newuser09. Show newuser09's posts

Posted by maldenaction
    Let's see! Did Ward 1 ASK for a doggy park? NO!!!  
    The raised crosswalks are at the Housing Authority Buildings (there are NONE in ward 1 that I know of!)
    Finally, ARE YOU suggesting that Gary purchase property? or use my taxpayeer funds to do so? How Many properities did the city purchase?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Educatedmaldonian. Show Educatedmaldonian's posts

Hey Edumacated, Did Gary get a doggy park for ward 1? No?, Ya, I didnt think so, any raised crosswalks? did he purchase any vacant lots with taxpayer funds?.....these seem to be things you like to see get done! I dont think Gary has gotten any of these done....no? Posted by maldenaction Let's see! Did Ward 1 ASK for a doggy park? NO!!!   The raised crosswalks are at the Housing Authority Buildings (there are NONE in ward 1 that I know of!) Finally, ARE YOU suggesting that Gary purchase property? or use my taxpayeer funds to do so? How Many properities did the city purchase?  
    Posted by newuser09

I am not suggesting anything.  Where is there a dog park in Ward 1?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1775andStillaDemocrat. Show 1775andStillaDemocrat's posts

I live in Ward One and my councilor picks up trash on his days off. He commissions a study on the traffic flow in the area of Green Street to Main Street. It has been a cutoff for drivers to speed through the neighborhood to avoid the lights and to get to Everett. The barriers and changes to one way streets have helped to reduce the traffic. 

I regard to homes in the ward, through his community ward newletter (that I read), I know where the foreclosed homes are, that might be trouble areas. 

The past three years, as my councilor, when I ask a question or place a call to him, I ALWAYS receive communication from him in a professional and timely manner. 

I do believe that we need a Charter Commission study and I have voiced my opinion to him about it.

There have been some votes and programs-(city-wide parking),that he supports that I voiced my opinion to him and he explains his reasons why he supports them. I never receive the runaround from him on these community issues. 

I would like to always have more transparency in our city and I would hope that all candidates for elected office this year. Feel the same way that I do about letting the people know when important legislation on Beacon Hill needs us to give testimony and our opinion on it.

Sections
Shortcuts