What does Malden need more of?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Re: What does Malden need more of?

Honestly, I would love to see some more adventurous cuisine in Malden. Make it a foodie destination and the rest follows. We have a good start with an affordable Ethiopian restaraunt - that gets rave reviews all over the place. But it's not downtown (I don't think) - and we need more of them. Think Tangierino, Stoddard's - a range of things.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Rip out the middle of city hall. Make it into a decorative arch for pedestrians to "enter" downtown Malden. Evict the dollar stores and junk stores and offer a competitive tax rate (along with T access) to small, independent retailers, cafe owners, etc. to attempt to transform that strip into someplace people want to go to.

Love this  idea!  I also like the idea of places that have music/arts for "the rest of us".

The idea of a home supply store was bandied about...if, for whatever reason, a movie theatre doesn't work out for the Super Fitness building, what about a mini-Home Depot/Loews?  On one of the other threads, it was said that the Stop and Shop contract stipulated "no competition", but would a home improvement store be considered competition for Stop and Shop?  Yeah, they  have a few home maintenance items; I just don't know what would technically be considered "competition"...

Amethyst/Maldenlady

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew25. Show andrew25's posts

Jirkyrick-

Stating that downtown is dump is a statement of fact, not whining. To think anyone is going to invest 50 to 100 million to fix it is a bit of a reach though. The whole place looks like it was designed by Mr. Magoo! They cut off the pedestrian traffic with that awful building they call city hall and blocked any chance of someone spotting a store from 60 with that colossal garage. I would say it's a lost cause but Exchange Street and All Seasons seem to be doing well.

BTW...whose brilliant idea was it to stick the council chambers in that dark, dank room and put the councilors on a brick pedestal? Talk about bad optics!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Amethyst: Some sort of interior design or Home Goods store would be better than Home Desperate or Loews and a great idea if a theater wouldn't be an option.

What about a stage theater as well? Maybe not in the fitness center, but somewhere down there?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I'm not sure a stage theater or interior design would work so well in this area. 
    Maybe a comedy club, if the right business plan could come together.  Parking is always an issue.
    How abut encouraging street vendors, particularly during the Summer months?  I just wish downtonw wasn't so physically dark with all the high rise apartments.
    Some sort of Faneul Hall type of arrangement sounds good, but we need something to entice people in, like new giant arches.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Gut: Honestly, I don't think the arch will entice people alone. It's just more of a way to let people know there's actually STUFF behind this architectural nightmare known as city hall.

Frankly, food is the key to starting to drive traffic that way. It's what really got Davis out of the "Crackwhoor and Tumbleweed" phase and a lot of other areas of Metro Boston as well. Good restaraunts and nightlife, the retail follows...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Yes, hellgirl!! 

I've wondered about a "Malden Center for the Arts" in that Super Fitness Building...Small stage; with side rooms for rehearsal, storage, classes.  I've felt for a long time that there's a wonderful arts community in Malden that just hasn't been adequately tapped..so, how's this?  Go to a live show at the Center, and walk up to the various cafes, bistros, restaurants afterwards??  Does that sound like a night on the town??   If we wanted to incude the visual artists in the mix, there's probably enough room for one or two studios..even *with* a small stage also in there...could you see artists having shows in the parking lot there on summer weekend days, selling and showing their work?  Working with the schools to even teach in the studios??

What Malden needs, is something to show how it can offer something different from its surrounding communities...and I've had this feeilng about the arts for a while.  I posted something similar to this in a post a while back, but the response was that   Malden is pretty clear that it definitely wants *retail* in that space...but if the arts could draw people, and they head up to the brand new Pleasant Street Restaurant Arcade, well...!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

hellgirl:  We're looking at different aspects, but coming in towards the same goals.  The food won't come until other things come.  Other things won't come until the food is established.  Chicken and egg situation.
    I never said arches alone, but arches would sure stand out.
    Moving city hall out and developing some sort of open flexible use space, would probably be a good start.  Then we can debate arches, food, nightlife scenarios.
    I'm getting the impression that you're leaning toward an adult crowd with your night ideas, wheras I'm slightly leaning towards a pre-nightlife young adult teenage crowd during the days.
    I'm thinking, get the youth involved and the future helps build itself, when many of them keep coming back as adults.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

And I think that both crowds could be equally served with different perspectives - and it's awesome to collaborate with the same end in mind (revitalization)!

Also, I was just thinking how much my daughter loves the merry-go-rounds in downtown Boston. One of those would be awesome too. :D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

I don't see this happening without some sort of plan to rid ourselves of City hall in the area.  The area is too dark and not conducive to easy foot traffic.
    There's probably a reason the arts haven't been bigger in Malden, over the long run.  The demographics just do not seem similar to someplace like Melrose, which promotes the arts heavily...  At least once per year, they shut down the center of town and have serious arts festivals in Melrose.  I don't recall that happening here.

In Response to Re: What does Malden need more of?:
    [QUOTE]Yes, hellgirl!!  I've wondered about a "Malden Center for the Arts" in that Super Fitness Building...Small stage; with side rooms for rehearsal, storage, classes.  I've felt for a long time that there's a wonderful arts community in Malden that just hasn't been adequately tapped..so, how's this?  Go to a live show at the Center, and walk up to the various cafes, bistros, restaurants afterwards??  Does that sound like a night on the town??   If we wanted to incude the visual artists in the mix, there's probably enough room for one or two studios..even *with* a small stage also in there...could you see artists having shows in the parking lot there on summer weekend days, selling and showing their work?  Working with the schools to even teach in the studios?? What Malden needs, is something to show how it can offer something different from its surrounding communities...and I've had this feeilng about the arts for a while.  I posted something similar to this in a post a while back, but the response was that   Malden is pretty clear that it definitely wants *retail* in that space...but if the arts could draw people, and they head up to the brand new Pleasant Street Restaurant Arcade, well...!!!
    Posted by Amethyst2[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

My wife and I take the kids to Wakefield every year for fireworks.

You notice almost all my events involve going somewhere other than Malden?

This needs to change somehow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Just a question:  Anyone know anything abou the history of the Stoneham Theatre -- how it came about, and what effect it has had (economically) on the Stoneham area? 

Comedy club, eh?  Hmmm...multiuse venue of some sort??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Gut: We take our daughter downtown, to the Harbor Islands, to Nahant Beach, to Newburyport, to Wollaston...but yeah, I can't think of anything we've done in Malden besides ice cream at Jule's and occasionally, the tot lot at Trafton.

We take ourselves downtown, to Davis Square, the North End...and once in a while we'll walk to Patrick's on Lebanon Street for a couple of drinks. Buuut, that's about it.

Amethyst: I love the idea of a multi-use space too! Like Somerville Theater - it's a movie theater, a stage theater that's hosted plays, burlesque (not saying that for Malden, but...), bands (U2!)...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

i don't know much about it amethyst2....but i have heard many people mention it lately...heard it advertised on the radio as well...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

goingdownswingin: I'd never heard of it until this thread. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goindownswingin. Show goindownswingin's posts

well, i'm not much of a theater man myself HG, i just heard it mentioned a few times in conversation...all good, so that's a positive if anything i would think:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

Amen

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

MVCSPARENT & EVERYBODY else;
    First--Malden needs new Clean Politicans promising everything is done out in the open Including the Mayor. Open Review of the Budget!
    Second---Read the Post "Grants" start going after these funds and
    grants;
    Third----hire qualified people not relatives and campain contributors/
     friends to the best jobs;
    Fourth---- Hire one to two Grant writers immediately to start the process of applying for these grants;
    Increase the Police and Fire Department Staffing so we can receive
    Federal Funding for a new firehouse and community policing;
    Fifth---Monthly Ward meetings with the whole city council making
    it available for senior citizens and the disable;
    That is just to start with---It fixes how this administration and the
    new one coming in should act; Ward 7 Neil Anderson has had only
    one ward meeting and that was with Gary Christenson Ward and
    the residents of his ward never was informed of the meeting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

More Drivers,  Gutty's and Annie O(aka MVinsider)  Oh nooooooooooooooo  what to dooooooooooooooooo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from taxed2much. Show taxed2much's posts

will some one please write a grant and shut a few people up...

n Response to Re: What does Malden need more of?:
    [QUOTE]More Drivers,  Gutty's and Annie O(aka MVinsider)  Oh nooooooooooooooo  what to dooooooooooooooooo
    Posted by MVCSparent[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gutclencher. Show Gutclencher's posts

GRANT. 

Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVCSparent. Show MVCSparent's posts

Many grants

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVInsider. Show MVInsider's posts

MVRCSParent (aka Martin Gately) -

What Malden DOESN'T need more of is the likes of you and your friend Kinnon. Two bullies who lack integrity and character.

Say what you want about those who dare disagree with you but the bottom line is that you two (and your many 'friends') unethical behavior are perfect examples of why Malden is like it is.

You took money from your clients and Kinnon uses charter school funds for the benefit of himself and his F&F club members. Two peas from the same pod.

Driver54 may be overly aggressive in his efforts but at least he is trying to find money FOR the city, not TAKE money that doesn't belong to him. I'm sure you find that concept totally foreign to you.

Oh and BTW, he speaks the truth, Kinnon is currently being investigated by both the State Ethics and Attorney General's Office but of course you know that already don't you?

Funny that you are such the bully as an adult as it would be easy to imagine you being the one who was bullied as a child.

Please go back to being Kinnon's little lap dog - you do that so much better than fighting Kinnon's battles on forums.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrew25. Show andrew25's posts

Someone drank a whole bottle of crazy juice this weekend.

For future reference, could you leave your hopes and dreams for my son's future out of your posts? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driver54. Show Driver54's posts

Andrew25---WHAT IN HELL'S NAME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WHICH
    POSTING AND WHO MADE THE COMMENT.