Trash: Taxpayer loses again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

Trash: Taxpayer loses again.

New trash rules with unreasonable rules heading to your curb Nov 1 thanks to the Mayor's special deal.  Watch the madness begin as taxpayers get the short end of the Waste Management deal.  More trash dumped on the road sides.....barrels getting stolen....traffic backups as trash trucks block streets picking up the new barrels via a mechanical arm and the beat goes on. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nonilill. Show nonilill's posts

Re: Trash: Taxpayer loses again.

What else is new in this city?  Disgraceful. The mayor should focus on our streets that need paving before we develop more sink holes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shawnmedford. Show shawnmedford's posts

I know for a fact I will see more trash dumped up near the woods on my street now.  Way to go Medford.  I'd love to see the contract on this deal, and see the kickback checks that followed...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cforbin. Show cforbin's posts

really? I can't wait for this, if only because the recycling bins we have right now just aren't big enough. I always have to take out at least 1 or 2 extra bags of various recyclables in addition to the overflowing bin, not to mention the paper.

indifference I could understand, but I'm surprised to see you guys acting like a crime has been committed here against Medford residents. I wish I understood that. Feel free to enlighten me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

Expand the recycling, that would be a great first step.  The fact that there was never any actual public input from the taxpayers is wrong.  Drive through any section of Medford on trash day and you will get an idea on how unworkable the new trash bin will be.  Never mind the fact that many streets are too narrow and this means blocking streets while the new mechanical arm lifts and dumps the bins.  There will be more illegal dumping of trash that won't fit into the bin.  The process of how this came about is flawed, expanded recycling would have been fine but this whole new program is destined to be a disaster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pondguard1. Show Pondguard1's posts

What I wonder is why they didn't give 2 of the larger barrels instead of 1 smaller 64 gallon & 1 96 gallon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gowestyoungman. Show gowestyoungman's posts

I have been paying for this service for over 10 years. $60.00 every quarter.  It does work where I now live but it will not be as efficient in Medford. Too many cars in the streets blocking the lift arms. As far as people dumping trash in the woods, I think it's more of a culture thing. I hate to say it but Medford is full of slobs. I get together with my east coast friends to watch the Sox and the Pats play and we all say the same thing. YOU LIVE LIKE FILTHY PIGS. I am not trying to insult you. I hope you take it as constructive criticism.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from danc. Show danc's posts

Count yourselves lucky you didn't get a PAYT program shoved down your throats like Malden did.  Comparatively, there was 10 times more outreach and community input opportunity in the Medford program than Malden's.

Medford's new program actually seems pretty decent.  The previous program of $8 bins (same bins only cost $5 in Malden) that only get picked up every other week was severely outdated.  At least a 96 gallon container should hold enough to get you through two weeks, although weekly pickup would be better.

As far as a smaller bin for trash... just recycle more and you'll have less trash.  In fact, for my needs I could recycle enough in a week to only need trash pick up every two weeks.  It's not that hard and I'm no tree-hugger either.  If you make it easy to recycle, I'll do it.  How hard is it to throw the same stuff into the recycle can instead of the trash can.

I'm not sure how efficiently the automated pick up arms are going to work with all the on street parking, but really I can't see how littering would be made worse by this.  Like I said its not like the idiodic Malden PAYT program that obviously resulted in more illegal dumping, despite the fact that the Mayor and DPW deny and lie about it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kj68. Show kj68's posts

Has the Mayor ever driven around Medford?  I read the part about cars need to be parked at least 5 feet from the trash barrel so the arm can pick it up.  Good luck with that plan, it won't work in densely populated South & West Medford, as well as Wellington.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kj68. Show kj68's posts

In Response to Re: Trash: Taxpayer loses again.:
    [QUOTE]What I wonder is why they didn't give 2 of the larger barrels instead of 1 smaller 64 gallon & 1 96 gallon.
    Posted by Pondguard1[/QUOTE]

That is because you need to pay extra to throw out more trash than what fits in the barrel.  It is Mayor Magoo's way of screwing us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TedSox. Show TedSox's posts

This to me looks like a big win for Medford.
    • The city saves money on their trash contract
    • The plan was devised by a community trash/recycling commission
    • There were open mtgs and forums for input all last spring
    • We get recycling containers that actually encourage recycling which reduces our trash
    The objections? You might have to buy another trash can if you put out a lot of trash?  Other communities have reported that most people that do that return it after a year, realizing they recycle more and don't put out as much trash.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSSBKR. Show BOSSBKR's posts

[QUOTE]What I wonder is why they didn't give 2 of the larger barrels instead of 1 smaller 64 gallon & 1 96 gallon.
    Posted by Pondguard1[/QUOTE]

Because they will CHARGE EXTRA if you can't get it all in the little bin.  ANOTHER TAX and expense to Medford residents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

There is one family of 6 people (4 adults and 2 teens) who live across the street and the amount of trash they put out every week is incredible. They put out at least 4/5 overflowing barrels with bags of trash next to the barrels. I'm sure they trash a lot of recycle items. They do put out a bin on recycle days but why bother when what is in the recycle bin only fills it 1/4 of the way...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

The bottom line is that recycling is great on many levels....but this type of program is the wrong one for an urban City like Medford.  Never understood what the big "rush" is.  I think that they better hire some more folks at City Hall to answer the phones when this gets started because it is going to get ugly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cforbin. Show cforbin's posts

I don't know...seems to me the complaints I've heard are just rooted in a fear and dislike of change.  We'll see, though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kj68. Show kj68's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know...seems to me the complaints I've heard are just rooted in a fear and dislike of change.  We'll see, though.
    Posted by cforbin[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kj68. Show kj68's posts

It isn't fear of change.  I think this is a great program, however not for an urban area.  Parking 5 feet from a trash container is impossible in 3/4 of the city.  They don't enforce parking laws, and forget it once winter comes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ragerider. Show ragerider's posts

If you produce more trash than can fit in the bins then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution. I can certainly see some people having a hard time finding a place to store the bins. I would think if there happened to be a vehicle parked in the way then the truck operators could move the bins so the arm can get at them but who knows, there doesn't seem to be much common sense around here.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fatcat09. Show fatcat09's posts

1st of all everyone get a big sharpie and write your address on your barrels.  I personally am excited about the new system, but then again I do live in an area where the 5ft rule wouldn't be an issue.  My neighbors are very unhappy about it, but then again I have never once in over 5 years seen then put a recycle bin out and they always have tons of trash.  I have always had more recyclables then would fit in those small bins.  I agree it would be nice if they would allow smaller versions for those people who have storage issues, maybe you can get together with a neighbor and just put your recyclables in their bin, I mean they are huge.  Although this is going to make it harder for the people who come around looking for the deposit items.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

I hope that the pick up on High St., Main St., Salem St. or any other main artery is not done during the morning rush hour.......these are the types of issues that have not been addressed in any reasonable way.  Not to beat a dead horse but what is the big rush.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from italia911. Show italia911's posts

Thats what happens when we vote for Dumas

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeriouslyGuys. Show SeriouslyGuys's posts

With this five foot parking guideline, how is anyone in West Medford going to be able to get their trash picked up, anyhow? 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fastest. Show fastest's posts

This sounds like a great idea

Everyone else is doing it.

Whats the fussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts