Trash: Taxpayer loses again.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cforbin. Show cforbin's posts

Re: Trash: Taxpayer loses again.

I got my first gimpse at the automated pickup this morning. When they picked up my recycling bin, the lifting mechanism is actually behind the truck, not on the side. The worker wheeled the bin into position behind the truck and the mechanism quickly dumped it in.

So, despite all the gloom and doom some have predicted, it seems parked cars are not an issue, as long as there's enough room to wheel the bin out to the street (in the worst case, the nearest driveway surely has room).

I'm increasingly thrilled with this new program. Initially I simply liked the idea of having a bigger recycling bin, but now I'm seeing the advantages in the bigger picture. By giving people larger recycling bins and smaller trash cans, it encourages people to recycle more. With the old bins, I probably didn't recycle as much as I could have, because the small bin would always start overflowing, at which point I'd start just throwing recyclables in the trash for lack of anywhere to put them.

Now the tables are turned - I have incentive to recycle as much as possible, because if my trash bin overflows, I have to pay a couple of bucks to have the excess removed (or I can keep the excess trash around until the following week). My recycling bin was nearly full this morning.

If you're recycling everything you can, and yet still are  routinely generating so much trash that you have overflow, you're part of the problem, and you need to cut back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from meffababe. Show meffababe's posts

Malden has the PAYT program.  We now pay $20 for a box of 10 special blue bags with the Malden seal on it- that's right, we are charged $2.00 per trash bag.  I can't afford many bags each month at $2.00 per bag so I am forced to recycle most of the trash in my house.  I don't mind that at all- what I do mind is Malden NEVER GAVE US LARGE RECYCLING Barrels or bins.  We still need to recycle all our waste using those small antiquated bins from 25 years ago AND on top of that we have to SEPERATE our recycling or it won't be picked up as mine wasn't most weeks.  I have now purchased 2 large bins with covers that sit in the middle of my kitchen which I put out weekly.  One has paper/cardboard the other contains everything else we recycle...  It is frustrating to pay $2.00 per bag AND have to purchase 2 large bins for $20 each in order to comply with the PAYT program in Malden.  I really wish Malden would supply us with the large barrels the resident's of Medford have been provided with.

As far as the complaints I hear here about streets being too narrow and the barrels not great- aren't most cars off the streets due to people driving to work during the day when trash is collected?  I am sure if the Medford residents gave it a chance they will realize the program works and it costs them nothing- where as Malden citizens are paying an additional expense each year for trash bags.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

The system you see in place now is temporary until the "magic arm" trucks are ready for Medford. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonUberAlles. Show BostonUberAlles's posts

In Response to Re: Trash: Taxpayer loses again.:
    [QUOTE]What I wonder is why they didn't give 2 of the larger barrels instead of 1 smaller 64 gallon & 1 96 gallon.
    Posted by Pondguard1[/QUOTE]

I agree my recyling bin is barely full and the trash bin is very full;  I guess the motivation is to encourage you to recycle more stuff. I would have gone with the smaller one being the recycling bin.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

My street has a lot clunkers parked out front for days/nites on end...  WMM trash and recycle trucks have NO problem....a lumper drags both trash bins to the rear of the trucks.....hooks up the lift....and the trash gets dumped....no problem at all....I LIKE THIS NEW SYSTEM!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MH1212. Show MH1212's posts

Yeah, it's all been said, but I can't wait to see how this is going to work in South Medford.  Where every house is a 2-family and half of them don't have a single driveway.  And in the winter, when you can only park on one side of the street.  Who wants to bet one of the fools in city hall will recommend putting your barrels on the other side of the street! 

I have a cousin in Burlington, and when someone parked in front of her trash barrel, she got a warning letter from the city, asking her to make sure her NEIGHBORS don't park in front of her barrels!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaca25. Show kaca25's posts

In Response to Re: Trash: Taxpayer loses again.:
    [QUOTE]really? I can't wait for this, if only because the recycling bins we have right now just aren't big enough. I always have to take out at least 1 or 2 extra bags of various recyclables in addition to the overflowing bin, not to mention the paper.   indifference I could understand, but I'm surprised to see you guys acting like a crime has been committed here against Medford residents. I wish I understood that. Feel free to enlighten me.
    Posted by cforbin[/QUOTE]

I agree.  May be a little stepford like but looking down streets on trash day and seeing neatly placed, covered bins make the city look much classier and attractive. Also, the family has gotten involved and my "trash" bin is only 1/2 filled with a trash bag when my recycle bin is very ample, whereas there was never enough room with the smaller bins. All they naysayers should focus on bigger issues.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spike1958. Show Spike1958's posts

Drive down Commercial St. and take a good look at all the TV's and trash bags that have been dumped there.  This program for all it's good intentions is wrong for this City.  Recycling is a good thing but this system is causing as many problems as it is supposedly solving.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cforbin. Show cforbin's posts

"Drive down Commercial St. and take a good look at all the TV's and trash bags that have been dumped there. "

You know what? I was over there the other day and I did just that. The street is disgusting and needs a good cleanup, to be sure, but I only saw 1 actual bag of trash. It hardly looks like people are routinely dumping there to avoid the new trash rules.