RE: Crossing guards crossing people on a green light

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ldisalva. Show ldisalva's posts

RE: Crossing guards crossing people on a green light

I want to know when it is okay for a crossing guard or anyone else to cross on a green traffic light at a four way intersection at 2:00pm on a Friday afternoon. Cars do not stop instantly and the drivers behind you are not expecting you to stop on a green light. Even traveling at 15-20 mph it is a disaster waiting to happen, We must encourage everyone to follow the traffic rules green traffic light means for the traffic to procees. Am I the only one that is frustrated by this crossing on a green light people just step out into traffic and it is very frustrating. Please everyone caution when you cross.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

Re: RE: Crossing guards crossing people on a green light

Because the police and crossing guards love to be in control.  I agree that the crossing guards and police should follow the lights as a rule!  I've seen them go against the green lights for a long while now and have been aware of them jumping out in front of you at a green light so I've learned to drive really really slow and be prepared.  Not a good thing to be - like the statement says people behind you are not expecting you to stop for a green light.  It's unfortunate but true that control is definitely an issue with police and crossing guards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ribs0712. Show Ribs0712's posts

Drives me insane, when I'm walking I've even refused to cross at times because they are crossing incorrectly.  How are kids supposed to learn when is the right time to cross and when is the wrong time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem5. Show jem5's posts

In Response to RE: Crossing guards crossing people on a green light:
    I want to know when it is okay for a crossing guard or anyone else to cross on a green traffic light at a four way intersection at 2:00pm on a Friday afternoon. Cars do not stop instantly and the drivers behind you are not expecting you to stop on a green light. Even traveling at 15-20 mph it is a disaster waiting to happen, We must encourage everyone to follow the traffic rules green traffic light means for the traffic to procees. Am I the only one that is frustrated by this crossing on a green light people just step out into traffic and it is very frustrating. Please everyone caution when you cross.
    Posted by ldisalva

Totally a control issue.  They think because they have on a blue uniform they are allowed to do anything - shame

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Judgenot. Show Judgenot's posts

oh come on people! I thank the crossing guards! We live in mass, the land of jerk drivers. If the crossing guards aren't there, nobody would let anyone go...all good americans! As far as the green lights yea I mean, wait till the light turns red to cross but some of these kids gotta get to school..on time! relax, what did it cost you, 5 minutes? a few extra sips of your coffee?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from spk1. Show spk1's posts

In Response to Re: RE: Crossing guards crossing people on a green light:
    oh come on people! I thank the crossing guards! We live in mass, the land of jerk drivers. If the crossing guards aren't there, nobody would let anyone go...all good americans! As far as the green lights yea I mean, wait till the light turns red to cross but some of these kids gotta get to school..on time! relax, what did it cost you, 5 minutes? a few extra sips of your coffee?
    Posted by Judgenot

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from spk1. Show spk1's posts

When you are driving in a school zone you should never exceed the posted 20MPH speed limit and always be prepared to stop. Kids do not think that if they jump out into the street they will be run over by a distracted (read as hang up and drive) or speeding driver. So if this applies to you: put the phone down, heads up, and realize that there are more important things than getting to work on time or where ever you are going. The crossing guards risk thier lives crossing our children in a tide of distracted drivers. If this strikes a chord with you, maybe you are one of "those" self absorbed drivers in your $80,000 land yacht that don't yield at rotaries either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Idisalva, I totally agree with you. The crossing guards should follow the traffic rules - just like anyone else.  Green light means 'go' - red means 'stop'. But not all of them do. There is no reason the children cannot be bundled up and wait until the light turns green for them to cross. I have seen crossing guards stop the flowing traffic, just to have one child cross during the 'red' cycle.
    It is a dangerous situation, when you see from afar, that you have green light at an intersection - and then suddenly get stopped by the crossing guard b/c he or she let the children pass during the red light. The third or forth car behind you may not even have seen the crossing guard stopping you.
    However, when you are on the road during the hours, the school let the students in or out, one should always be extra alert.
    If there is one particular crossing guard you have in mind, you should complain (send a nice letter with your concern) to the town, where this is happening. I did and the town listened to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neighbor1. Show Neighbor1's posts

I have to agree that it seems the Crossing Guards make up their own rules - take too many liberties in stopping cars, rather than aiding traffic management.  Often I am stopped when it would be appropriate for the pedestrian to wait for the red light or for a few cars to go buy in the interest of traffic flow.  As a result, they cause unnecessary build up and frustration to local drivers. 

Indeed its easier for the Crossing Guard to not think and manage the traffic flow for the busy roads - rather they instinctually put the hand out to stop any car coming their way - even when a pedestrian is still walking towards the curve.  Bottom line, the guards should be a little more thoughtful in managing the traffic flow.  They often cause unnecessary traffic build up just to let any pedestrian in their peripheral view cross.  As drivers need to wait their turn so should pedestrians.  The current environment is disorderly, unfair, and most importantly uncivilized.  They need to be more thoughtful.