Safest city?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbd. Show jbd's posts

Safest city?

I live in newton and word up y'all, y'all, there are some mean streets there. Yeah boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charlesyu95. Show charlesyu95's posts

Safest city?

Lexington and Wellesley may not have a large enough population to be ranked. It's a ranking of "cities", 75000 people and more.

But the safe cities are biased towards smaller ones.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwestebbe. Show dwestebbe's posts

Safest city?

I don't understand how or why you can question whether a municipality "deserves" any particular staistical rank. Such a status is a matter of objective reality, and is not a matter of subjective feelings about "deserving".

It makes no more sense to ask: Does Newton "deserve" to have the area it occupies? Does it "deserve" its level of population?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoDubya. Show BoDubya's posts

Safest city?

i live in the rough and tumble streets of nonantum - i haven't locked my back door in two months. i look around at my neighbors and wonder if i'm the only criminal element in the neighborhood (i always forget to take my recycling bin in). i did see some kids in baggy jeans last week - but they might have been from h2otown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JeffSeideman. Show JeffSeideman's posts

Safest city?

This is so silly, so misleading. According to FBI statistics, available for all to see at www.fbi.gov (you have to do your own calculation to get the per person number), locally Newton is right in the middle in violent and property crime per person.

In 2007 Newton had 1 violent crime for every 1,061 citizens and 1 property crime for every 63 citizens. Compare that with other communities (the bigger the number, the better).

Town Violent Per Person Property Per Person
    Newton 1061 63
    Arlington 639 64
    Waltham 475 72
    Watertown 573 53
    Brookline 426 55
    Lexington 1889 91
    Norwood 1349 54
    Wellesley 1284 115
    Belmont 927 96

So we see that Lexington and Wellesley beat Newton on both violent and property crime. Newton beat Brookline and Watertown on both. And Newton split with Arlington, Waltham, Norwood and Belmont.

We're right in the middle, which is better than two years ago. We were also one of the "safest in America" but were beaten locally in every category. I guess we're making progress.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonny-vegas. Show jonny-vegas's posts

Safest city?

I don't think it deserves it at all because it's not a city.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsuburbs. Show ddsuburbs's posts

Safest city?

Do you feel Newton deserves its ranking as the fourth-safest city in the US? Do the rankings matter to you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangarcia. Show dangarcia's posts

Re: Safest city?

hey, what about latest on the newton school closing due to flu-like symptoms? Not good.