What do you think of Setti Warren's decision to run for Senate?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boatwrote. Show boatwrote's posts

Re: What do you think of Setti Warren's decision to run for Senate?

This guy appears to be an Obama-Patrick clone, except he doesn't hail from Chitown. Maybe he will be welcomed there by the new mayor with open arms, and a willingness to train him in the Obama school of pooliticks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chekhov. Show chekhov's posts

I met Setti Warren when he came campaigning around our neighborhood.
    I think he is charismatic, smart, and for my politics, right.  I agree with the previous poster:  why waste him in Newton?  Scott Brown is a disgrace to the Commonwealth.  I'd vote for Setti Warren in a heartbeat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chekhov. Show chekhov's posts

To @boatwrite - Do you say he is an Obama/Patrick clone because he is an African-American???????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seagator. Show Seagator's posts

VOTERS...how is your memory? Do you remember when you elected Edward M. Kennedy,a janitor,State Treasurer. You would elect a bulldog if you saw a D. McGovern now lives near me...D...the  only state in the nation that voted for him.  Massachusetts the tarnished building on a hill.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stemorgan. Show stemorgan's posts

He brought nothing to the table as Mayor of Newton, he brings even less as Senator.  He should resign his office as Mayor since campaigning is a full time job as is being Mayor.  If his desire is to be a Senator, let him go for it, he'll lose but he should not do it at the expense of the city of Newton.  No doubt he will get a position in the Patrick or Obama administrations when he does lose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from calipto. Show calipto's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Setti Warren's decision to run for Senate?:
    Setti's decision will probably put an end to his political career as his Newton supporters, including me, won't re-elect him when he seeks a second term as mayor.  
    Posted by bigflak[/QUOTE]
    HERE! HERE!  I cannot imagine that Mayor Warren will be able to earn respect from Newton residents.  Our young Mayor appears to believe that there are no other worthy candidates to defeat Scott Brown. He may be intelligent and savvy, though Mayor Warren appears to be an arrogant young man with little humility. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from calipto. Show calipto's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Setti Warren's decision to run for Senate?:
      No doubt he will get a position in the Patrick or Obama administrations when he does lose.
    Posted by stemorgan[/QUOTE]

Good point.
    It is hard to believe that Mayor Warren cares deeply about Newton.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HabakkukB. Show HabakkukB's posts

It feels like it is too soon, so the issue is whether to do it now before Brown gets thoroughly entrenched, or wait until Kerry's seat comes open.  I'd opt for waiting--it doesn't smack so much of political opportunism--after all, we had Romney who after about a year of work, decided to run for president and move to the hard right (not what he ran as in his governor's race).  Like to see Setti Warren earn his stripes first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SailsRep. Show SailsRep's posts

Warren was a dolt while at Boston College, and continues to be one as "Mayor" of Newton.  Worst of all, the dude couldn't dance!  Setti, learn how to dance, then learn how to be a Mayor, then and only then should you consider yourself qualified to be a Senator.  What, do you think you have a chance? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmart. Show hmart's posts

Please. A US Senator?  With one year as a mayor? He should resign if he is going to run. At least that would demonstrate that he isn't completely cynical. Newton has serious problems and needs a full time mayor who isn't preoccupied with their next job-- somebody smart and serious, not a narcissist.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Given the inanity of the these posts, the whining about potholes and clones (?) and the rest of the juvenile "librul" teeth gnashing ...

...leads me to believe the young man might be on to something. 

Nothing wrong with taking a shot, building a name, and standing up for what he believes in...go for it!!

The haters can't stand anyone with ambition.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjsterman. Show jjsterman's posts

Sarah Thomas quoted me as saying "what a joke". I definitively do NOT find Mayor Warren as joke at all. What I find to be quite amusing and a 'joke' is this... this senatorial seat will not be reclaimed by the Democrats anytime soon when we have a run-off candidates who are not strong enough to pull off (1) big money donations, (2) the political experience to go against a strong opponent (namely Scott Brown). The discussion needs to be this... why can't the Massachusetts Democratic Party get behind a strong qualified experienced candidate so that the Dems can have a serious go against the incumbent Republican Junior Senator to the United States Congress from Massachusetts? Have the Democrats learned nothing about the loss of his seat in 2010? 
    Personally, I like Setti Warren. I also truly believe he is totally in his element when he is campaigning. The man is a born salesman, making Prince Charming look like a dud to his stud! He is one of the world's greatest political candidates! I watched the video introduction he did on his webpage, and it is unnerving what an exceptional campaigner Setti Warren is! He might just pull it off!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankcam. Show frankcam's posts

Warren has been a Naval Intelligence officer and solid mayor. I hope and expect he will give the unimpressive Scott Brown a tough challenge --and without having to lie about seeing any photos!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shs111. Show shs111's posts

In Response to What do you think of Setti Warren's decision to run for Senate?:
    [QUOTE]Newton Mayor Setti Warren has posted a video message saying he will seek to challenge Republican Senator Scott Brown  for re-election next year. What do you think about his chances of winning?
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack[/QUOTE]

Ill advised, bad, bad idea.  Setti is a nice guy (I think), but he did not have the qualifications to be mayor ... and we believed him at his word re his commitment to addressing the city's problems, etc.  And now he's going to try to be Senator?  Based on what qualifications? I wish he'd just resign and step aside for someone who might actually care for the city.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenWhite. Show BenWhite's posts

[QUOTE]I think he should wait and be just the mayor for a couple of terms and than think of running for senator.  It is just too soon for him. But I am not going to vote for Brown at all.
    Posted by samoy2e[/QUOTE]
    Hi Pam- miss you, honey. You said that you did vote for Scott Brown last time, but then said not. Not sure where you stand on him, but if you DID vote for him, what changed your mind, my dear?  Setti seemed very likeable and focused when he came to my door a couple of years ago and asked for my vote. He earned that. But now, eh, I feel stepped on. Cheap. Sloppy seconds cast to the curb after a five-minute date. Not that I ever would be that guy, but, you know? Well not you, for you are not that kind of girl. But you know what I mean. :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenWhite. Show BenWhite's posts

It is almost enough to want me to exhume David Cohen so he can again stalk the corridors of City Hall but instead of asking for "brains!" he can just say, "Newton North High School!". Oddly, I could almost live with that.  Maybe Jay Harney, one of our Aldermen, would run to replace him? THAT would be fun!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qwerty200. Show qwerty200's posts

His decision is despicable. Newton deserves a FULL TIME mayor, not someone who purely chose the position to try to springboard for a senate seat. Thank goodness the rest of MA can't be as easily bamboozled as Newton.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShermFeller. Show ShermFeller's posts

it is entirely premature.  I heard him debate Ruth Balser in the race for mayor, she ran circles around him.   He's a likable, competent fellow, but seems to lean hard on platitudes and charm.  Brown is quite charming, so if that is the contest, Warren will lose.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShermFeller. Show ShermFeller's posts

[QUOTE]Very disappointed in Mr. Warren's decision.... reeks of political ambition way over community service.  No.. he cannot have his cake and eat it too. 
    Posted by calipto[/QUOTE]
    Exactly!  Well said.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cann45. Show cann45's posts

The left did not rally around S Bump; there were a lot of us who thought she was revolting - but, the GOP, true to form, ran such right wing wackos (was it the auditor who proposed no pensions for legisaltors ?) that the GOP actually managed to make Bump look good
    And anyway, with a child molestor (think M Coakely and Fells Acre) near the head of the ticket, if the Dems are gonna swallow that, why would they care about taxes
    PS: I'm a true liberal - I think B Frank is a DINO, a guy who talks big bit is actually a republican, despite his loudness

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.