What is BAD about Newton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from franktalk. Show franktalk's posts

Re: What is BAD about Newton

What's bad in Newton? How about the discourteous drivers. It's like people in Newton don't know about "the wave". (The hand gesture you give to another driver who has paused to let you by.) How often will someone here gridlock an intersection rather than let someone through? They'd rather clog it up for everyone than give someone a break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihcahc. Show ihcahc's posts

All the sanctimonious liberals who talk a good game but won't give you the time of the day: they leave trash behind thinking it's someone else's problem (entitled behavior, pointed out above), park two feet away from the curb on a narrow street, run stop signs, drive past you while you are trying to cross on a crosswalk while pushing a stroller, are always in a hurry (even just to get to a red light or to block the intersection, as stated above), among others.  Essentially, they epitomize rude and inconsiderate behavior.  Disrespect for crosswalks is particularly irritating, and nine times out of ten, the perpetrator has Obama and/or Deval Patrick stickers on the back of his/her vehicle.

Another thing I will mention is all the overgrown brush and trees in certain areas.  Green for the sake of green is NOT pretty.  I have no idea what the parks department does...  There are branches from so many city trees blocking sidewalks.  We are supposed to be a progressive city in favor of walking and taking public transportation, yet many sidewalks are in a condition that precludes that, and the city does nothing.

Personally, the only thing I like about Newton is the location.  I think that even the school system's reputation is highly overrated and don't see myself sending my child to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from treeboy. Show treeboy's posts

If you don't like it don't come here and don't move here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cann45. Show cann45's posts

I started this thread more as a counter to the boosterism of the whats great about Newton; surely if this website is mean't to discuss what Newton is like, we should discuss the good and the bad; just because Newton isn't perfect, doesn't mean you can't like living hear.
    Have some perspective; why on earth would you not discuss problems - is any place perfect ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from treeboy. Show treeboy's posts

cann45:  You mean living here.  Happy to discuss the good and bad about Newton with anybody.  As soon as people resort to labelling people thats when I get annoyed.  For example only liberally minded drivers block intersections etc. its such as lazy way to discuss a town.  Also people complaining that the school system isn't that good - what's the factual basis for that?  Any surveys conducted at put Newton as one of the best school systems in the state.  People posting here are just trying to justify their own preconcieved notions of the town and its population.

If you actually bothered to read the posts on the Whats great about Newton you will see that the postive comments are well tamped down by some justified negatives.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewtonDweller. Show NewtonDweller's posts

I have one Ivy League neighbor, Scott, who cuts his grass at night so his neighbors won’t see that he doesn’t have a gardener.  This same fellow steals flowers from his neighbor’s garden but neither of these stop him from acting like he is better than everyone else. There are many crazy self-centered people who have been going to therapists for decades.  These therapists tell them their feelings and thought do matter so they have an incredibly inflated sense of self-worth.  Psychiatrists and Psychologists tend to be very odd people who are only surpassed in their obnoxiousness by "professors". They refuse to criticize the schools but spend thousands a year on tutors and outside math classes because the schools aren’t getting it done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nova617716. Show nova617716's posts

Poorly maintained homes on postage stamp-sized lots and the insufferable nouveaux riches who pay $800,000 for them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cann45. Show cann45's posts

treeboy
    took a look at the whats good in newton. only a few minor caveats, aside from housing costs, and one of them, about rt 16, seems kinda unthoughtful.
    don't know where you comment on schools is coming from,,doesn't seem to relate to a post on this thread.
    everyone has there own perspective; I just think it is wierd beyond belief that people can walk up to a , literally, overflowing trashcan, try to put there trash in it, stop and think for a second, and then put the trash down on th ground, to blow about in the wind.
    Part of the problem is we are so inured to this sort of misuse of the public space, as we are inured to the noise and pollution of leaf blowers, that no one thinks it odd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from treeboy. Show treeboy's posts

cann45:  The school comment was a reaction to the comment at the end of  3rd post on this board.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from riddlemethis. Show riddlemethis's posts

NO one seems to understand that the 6 sided red sign that says "STOP" means to actually stop, not drift or drive through.  Come to Nonantum, and try walking your dog, or getting to the bus stop or anywhere in the streets after a good snow--and experience self serving a**holes yourself.  It's pathetic.  Though ask anyone who has lived here, has a red,white and green emblem on their car, or calls Nonantum "the lake"...? and they will tell you there is no where else in the WORLD they would live--I wonder if they have ever visited a midwestern city...or Canada..or even Vermont, New Hampshire or Nova Scotia--all incredibly mindful of others and friendly.

Cars do not stop, slow down, or perhaps they don't even "see" you, because they are so entranced in getting to the convenience store for their lottery tickets, or to DD for a coffee...not sure what color the sky is in their world.

So, if you don't pay attention to the people here, the best part about Newton is a great hospital nearby, and you can get into the city in roughly 17 mins on the Pike.  Location, Location, Location.

Sections
Shortcuts