What's great about Newton?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobb2001. Show bobb2001's posts

What's great about Newton?!

Please share any cool stuff about Newton! We'd like to add it to our Massachusetts 351 Project post. Thanks!!!

http://massachusetts351.blogspot.com/2010/04/newton.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Re: What's great about Newton?!

@bobb2001: I'm new to the area, so I messaged an editor who has lived in the Newton area for more than 20 years.

She said it may sound dorky, but what makes makes the city awesome is that it's an area where it's cool to be smart and involved. People in the community have opinions, and they aren't afraid to share them.

Finally, she said it's full of people from all over the country, who are really friendly.

Hope that helps some :-)

I'm sure there are other things that make Newton awesome/great/fabulous. What does everyone else think? If you had to name the best things about Newton, what would you say?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greibman. Show greibman's posts

The Newton TAB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ethanben. Show ethanben's posts

Newton-Wellesley Hospital!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

@greibman: LOL. I hope you like us a tiny bit, as well.

@ethanben: Why, comparatively do you like that hospital so much more?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggiemoo. Show maggiemoo's posts

Andover Newton Theological School and Bowen School! Lived on ANTS campus from 1995-1999 and still miss Newton!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Do you still live in the area? What do you miss most about Newton?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ethanben. Show ethanben's posts

In Response to Re: What's great about Newton?!:
    @ greibman : LOL. I hope you like us a tiny bit, as well. @ ethanben : Why, comparatively do you like that hospital so much more?
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack

That's easy. Fabulous doctors and nurses. One of Newton's best assets, for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NewtonDweller. Show NewtonDweller's posts

That Newton was home to the Stanley Steam Cars.  There is a great history to the city that is unknown to many of the residents who think that the city’s history started when they came.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

Newton rules!

The location is great, crime is really low and it's just an easy city to live in.  I have lived all over the country and this is where I have settled.  The area resources between Newton, Needham and Watertown give me about everything I could want. 

For those who travel to Boston, well, we are the first city west of Boston.  For those of us who don't just about everything is within our reach.  We have no real "junk franchises", amazing for a city of over 80,000 people over 10 square miles, Newton is the 4th largest city in the state.  We have only two McDonald's, in fact Starbucks outnumber McD's 2:1 at least.

Newton's one really big local college, Boston College is in the ACC, and although they cannned their wrestling program (Michigan State Alumnus, Spartan Wrestler here), they have a beautiful campus and academic excellence, not to mention all the other colleges in town.  All of them pretty good and aesthetically pleasing.  Newton is much nicer than East Lansing, MI.

As Massachusetts cities go, we rule.  Clean city, cheap parking, low crime rate, a very reasonable property tax rate and good shopping  are all around the corner.  Our politicians are pretty much clean, the cops are friendly and actually answer questions and we are no where near as creepy as Wellesley after dusk.

Please, don't compare Newton to  Brookline, a town of 40,000 over two square miles, and in a valley.  Everytime I walk into that little piece of urban squaller, I choke.  I think Brookline is techically below sea level and it feels it.

Hmmm, big MA cities, Boston, Springfield, Worcester and Newton....I think I'll stay in Newton.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

@ bobb2001 : I'm new to the area, so I messaged an editor who has lived in the Newton area for more than 20 years. She said it may sound dorky, but what makes makes the city awesome is that it's an area where it's cool to be smart and involved. People in the community have opinions, and they aren't afraid to share them. Finally, she said it's full of people from all over the country, who are really friendly. Hope that helps some :-) I'm sure there are other things that make Newton awesome/great/fabulous. What does everyone else think? If you had to name the best things about Newton, what would you say?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

Read my post, this city, the fourth largest in the state is the nicest for sure.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

The Fig Newton was also invented here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cutmesomeslackjack. Show cutmesomeslackjack's posts

Umm Newton is not the 4th largest city in MA. It's the 11th largest. Just sayin', just because you've never been to Lowell doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Not to mention Cambridge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from obamacus. Show obamacus's posts

I know Newton very well.  It has coasted on a good reputation for a long time, but cracks in the veneer are increasingly evident.  The practice of eliminating regional schools from the MCAS rankings has made Newton high schools appear to be much better than they are.  The new high school won't make up for the lack of rigor in the K-12 educational curriculum. The city's non-disclosure practice when it comes to property crime makes the town look safer than others when it really isn't.  Oddly, though the residents of Newton today have entitled and demanding personalities, they don't push their elected officials to make changes that really matter. 
    Signed,
    Happy to Be Raising My Kids Somewhere Else

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DianeDonn. Show DianeDonn's posts

I've lived in Newton my entire life; my father lived his 82 years here and my grandparents settled in Newton from Italy in the early 1900's. Obviously, we have stayed in this city so there must be something that we like about it.  It is a divided city - North of the Mass Pike and South of the Mass Pike.  Of the 12 'villages' in Newton (17.9 sq. miles is the accurate area of Newton), only 4 of them are on the North side.  The feeling is that the people on the South side of the city get better treatment - streets plowed first, trash picked up, etc.  It may have been like that in the past but I don't see that much anymore.  

Living on the North side is wonderful.  I feel safe, my children were always able to be out and about and I didn't worry.  Undecided too much, anyway.  They received good educations in the Newton Schools and 7 of my grandchildren are presently in the Newton school system and are doing fine.  

Taxes are high....water/sewer charges are now almost as high as taxes quarterly.  I have been tempted to move out of Newton but I don't think I would survive anywhere else.  Where else would you be able to sit out in front of your house on a muggy summer Sunday afternoon and have a statue of the Madonna pushed down the middle of your street with firecrackers flying and ladies singing Italian hymns?  Only in Nonantum - a 'village' of Newton!  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

Umm Newton is not the 4th largest city in MA. It's the 11th largest. Just sayin', just because you've never been to Lowell doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Not to mention Cambridge.
    Posted by cutmesomeslackjack

My bad, but we do weigh in @84,000 over 10 square miles.  Having never been to Lowell, I guess I'd be speaking out of turn.  There is not a section of this town that I fear to walk in, which is amazing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SWCCMan. Show SWCCMan's posts

I've lived in Newton my entire life; my father lived his 82 years here and my grandparents settled in Newton from Italy in the early 1900's. Obviously, we have stayed in this city so there must be something that we like about it.  It is a divided city - North of the Mass Pike and South of the Mass Pike.  Of the 12 'villages' in Newton (17.9 sq. miles is the accurate area of Newton), only 4 of them are on the North side.  The feeling is that the people on the South side of the city get better treatment - streets plowed first, trash picked up, etc.  It may have been like that in the past but I don't see that much anymore.   Living on the North side is wonderful.  I feel safe, my children were always able to be out and about and I didn't worry.    too much, anyway.  They received good educations in the Newton Schools and 7 of my grandchildren are presently in the Newton school system and are doing fine.   Taxes are high....water/sewer charges are now almost as high as taxes quarterly.  I have been tempted to move out of Newton but I don't think I would survive anywhere else.  Where else would you be able to sit out in front of your house on a muggy summer Sunday afternoon and have a statue of the Madonna pushed down the middle of your street with firecrackers flying and ladies singing Italian hymns?  Only in Nonantum - a 'village' of Newton!  
    Posted by DianeDonn

When I first moved to New England I lived in Southern New Hampshire.  The property tax rate was triple my Newton rate.  It is a nice, safe, good suburb.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RustyShackleford009. Show RustyShackleford009's posts

One of the nicest, most diverse, and also most expensive cities/towns in the greater boston area; you would assume would have excellent road conditions, parks, hospitals, schools, etc.  While the latter may be true, the former certainly is not.  Route 16, a major road the goes through the majority of the town, is and has been in such terrible condition for years that that the town should be ashamed of itself for letting this go on for so long.  What exactly are our incredibly high property taxes and real estate prices going towards?  As a resident, what would you prefer? The overzealous, way overstaffed Newton Police setting up speed traps on every major road every day so they can bring in speeding ticket revenue or fixing VERY dilapidated roads and bridges????

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewtonPartnership. Show TheNewtonPartnership's posts

Parents who care and are involved.
    Public schools that prepare kids for lifelong learning and success.
    A nonprofit community that works together to so that all families can get what they need.
    Municipal agencies that go the extra mile for children, youth, and families. 
    Smart, hardworking, caring people.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

Newton is not the 4th largest city in the state.  Not even in the top 10.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfman27. Show wolfman27's posts

Newton's one really big local college, Boston College is in the ACC, and although they cannned their wrestling program (Michigan State Alumnus, Spartan Wrestler here), they have a beautiful campus and academic excellence, not to mention all the other colleges in town.
    Posted by MFK3

I am not from the Massachusetts area but I do attend college at Lasell College of Newton. They do have a lot potential in providing good education to the public.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mass-surfer. Show mass-surfer's posts

I live here now (grew up in Sharon, but lived all over the country as an adult), My mother was raised here, and my Grandparents spent most of their lives here, I have lots of family here.  

I love living here, I would not ever move if I had a choice, but my families rental is small, our family is only growing.  Even though we make more than the 2008 median income we cannot afford to buy here, it is pretty sad.  I feel it drains the vigor of the town to not have any really affordable middle class housing stock for families (ie 3br 2ba ~1600 sqft)  If I was making less I could qualify for government assistance, but i do not need that,  just affordability.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rascal20. Show rascal20's posts

@ bobb2001 : I'm new to the area, so I messaged an editor who has lived in the Newton area for more than 20 years. She said it may sound dorky, but what makes makes the city awesome is that it's an area where it's cool to be smart and involved. People in the community have opinions, and they aren't afraid to share them. Finally, she said it's full of people from all over the country, who are really friendly. Hope that helps some :-) I'm sure there are other things that make Newton awesome/great/fabulous. What does everyone else think? If you had to name the best things about Newton, what would you say?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from drphilxr. Show drphilxr's posts

the old aqueduct system, near elliot st. in upper falls. beautiful. not to mention the nearby charles river country club countryside (!) and charles river watershed. 

Too bad i'll be paying for my house in newton long after the TARP I & II stimulus is repaid! ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts