What's great about Newton?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AngelsRoost. Show AngelsRoost's posts

Re: What's great about Newton?!

Local businesses that are involved in the community. For example, Indulge in Newton Highlands -- an amazing candy store (but more than that) whose owner Linda knows nearly every customer and who donates gifts/gift certificates to local schools and charities. 

And Down Under Yoga, which just moved to Newtonville after 7 years in the Highlands.  The teachers are talented and friendly, and the atmosphere of the studio is completely welcoming and unpretentious.  They've got some of the top teachers in the whole country -- truly, yoga gurus -- but you'd never know that from the down-to-earth attitudes. For years Down Under has hosted pot luck dinners at students' houses -- just informal get-togethers -- and they give free classes to seniors and people with disabilities at the Hyde Center. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

Chubby bob-cut soccer moms in Mercedes mommie vans.
    The entitled attitude of the people who live there.
    The great parking at the Newtonville PO.
    Aggressive meter maids who keep Clairol in business.
    The low, low prices at the Malls.
    Low taxes.
    Rt 16e from Rt 30 to West Newton, a free carnival ride.
    Women who look like they haven't been laid in weeks. 
    Many huge Catholic churches, all with declining attendance. But churches don't get closed in Newton!
    The Newton Corner Rotary.
    Did I mention the entitled people?
    Parents who think they live in the "Country"
    Bratty entitled kids.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from christman11. Show christman11's posts

I wrote a blog on Newton on my website so check it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenWhite. Show BenWhite's posts

I think we all know/agree that Newton is not the cheapest place to live, but maybe can agree that, by and large, you do get what you pay for? The teachers are outstanding and it is not just what we pay them. They just are, in my experience, on average with several outstanding ones raising the bar.  Agreed, the roads see a lot of use, Route 16 as someone said and parts of Comm Ave can make your car "gallop", but then again, the roads are state roads (Comm Ave = Route 30), so there is some state responsibility here too, even if it is all taxpayer money, there is the distribution issue. OK, enough of that. Best part? I live in Auburndale and the ability to travel to all compass points so quickly is outstanding! When I lived in Boston, travelling to Cambridge or anywhere north of the Charles River, took at least half an hour more. Now everything is equidistant.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from christman11. Show christman11's posts

I am local real estate broker and Newtonian. I write weekly posts about Newton and local restaurants on my blog. Check it out at www.realbostonliving.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1259. Show 1259's posts

Well first off there is the Trash collection 
    Followed bye the Leaf pick up during fall & Spring
    Both are handled well
    Most important yet it seems to go  un noticed is that Within the various squares a sense of community and comfort exist that is a compliment of the Police and community leaders 
    Streets that are clean and safe arer a good thing
    Papa Jack