What do you love about Quincy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceanlover100. Show oceanlover100's posts

What do you love about Quincy?

Let's talk about the positive things about Quincy and maybe we'll learn from eachother.  As a charter boat operator, I appreciate the miles and miles of coastline and great fishing.  What do you love about Quincy?  Thank you for your positive post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from QuincyGirl90503. Show QuincyGirl90503's posts

Re: What do you love about Quincy?

After moving away in 1988, I still enjoy telling people I am a Quincy Girl and about my hometown.  Its rich colonial history is always intriguing and having lived so close to the Adams homes is a great conversation starter.  I love the idea of the trolley and reading about the plans for City Hall Plaza make it seem like Quincy is taking a step in the right direction from a tourist perspective.  I love Quincy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from irisheileen. Show irisheileen's posts

Quincy is one of the finest places anyone could hope to live. I love the ocean, and also the extensive salt marsh teeming with egrets and heron in the summer, and ducks and geese at anytime of the year. Quincy has ethnic restaurants to equal or surpass anything found in the neighborhoods of Boston, but with none of the parking hassles or overly inflated prices. The many parks and green spaces bring great beauty to the city, and the sense of history is all around us. I love watching the National Park Service green trolleys exposing visitors to all we have here, and the preliminary plans for the greenspace near 'The Church of the President' and city hall look very appealing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

@oceanlover100: Thanks for posting this! I just moved to the Boston area a few days ago, and I am looking for a permanent place to live.  I am really considering going to Quincy (nice options in apartments). Anything folks here can tell me about the city would be great!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins73. Show Bruins73's posts

Quincy is a really nice place to live. There are a lot of reasonable appartments available and there are even more expensive ones and nice condos in the Marina Bay area if that's what someone is looking for.

Great thing is it is in the middle of everything. Quick ride to the cape or points south and a quick ride on the T or by car to get in town. Good school system, pleanty of parking and a lot of public transportation. Lot's of good restaurants and bars to go to.

I grew up here and I think it's a great place to live. Traffic aint the best but in this state where is it good?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lz1. Show lz1's posts

I love that it takes me 20 minutes by subway to get downtown, yet I'm also a 15 minute walk from the beach. I love neighborhoods like Merrymount filled with well-preserved, older homes. I love that my commuting time is the same as it would be from Cambridge or Somerville, but my apartment is a lot cheaper. I love the great choice of restaurants.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NSTeach. Show NSTeach's posts

As a recent homebuyer in Quincy, I love:

the walking lifestyle
    the mix of people downtown
    the great library
    the Red Line
    Folks hanging out along Wollaston Beach at twilight
    the constantly changing mix of restaurants
    Being next to the Blue Hills

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceanlover100. Show oceanlover100's posts

In Response to Re: What do you love about Quincy?:
    @oceanlover100: Thanks for posting this! I just moved to the Boston area a few days ago, and I am looking for a permanent place to live.  I really considering going to Quincy (nice options in apartments). Anything folks here can tell me about the city would be great!
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceanlover100. Show oceanlover100's posts

@oceanlover100: Thanks for posting this! I just moved to the Boston area a few days ago, and I am looking for a permanent place to live.  I really considering going to Quincy (nice options in apartments). Anything folks here can tell me about the city would be great!

You're very welcome.  As you can see from the other posts, there's a lot to recommend Quincy as a place to call home.  Three great places for food:  for tasty takeout, China Chopsticks is fantastic, for the best cheeseburgers on Earth, go to Grumpy White's on Sea Street and for a ridiculously beautiful 360 degree view of the entire area, from the harbor to the skyline to beyond Blue Hills, go to The Tavern at the Quarry Hills Golfcourse.  To feel like you're in Cape Cod, ride your bike along the back roads of the Hough's Neck neighborhood (straight out Sea Street til it ends).  Keep riding to Nut Island for more breathtaking views.  There are neighborhood pocket beaches like the Mound Street Beach at the end of Silver Street off Southern Artery (has a great park attached to it, as well).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RITchic. Show RITchic's posts

I love the incredible diversity and the basic level of respect that is shown to everyone.  I had a friend who moved to another south shore town from Quincy and everyone called her "the brown girl."  People don't say that stuff in Quincy.  
    I love that family ties run deep.  You know family friends will always be there to help you.  At the same time, new families are always being welcomed in with open arms.
    I love how close to Boston we are.  It takes 22 minutes for me to get from my front door to Downtown center.  That is without a car.
    I love the intense love of the Red Sox.  It wasn't until I went to school in New York that I realized how special that is.
    I love our distinct and unique accent.  I know how to speak without it, but choose not too.
    I love the rivalry between North Quincy and the vastly superior Quincy High.  ;0)
    I love that we have such a rich history whether it with Goliath and the Shipyard or the Presidents, we never have a lack of things to show out of towners.
    Lastly, I love our fantastic driving skills.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

OK ... So, on my Boston-area newcomer list of things to do in Quincy, I've added:

-- Check out Wollaston Beach
    -- China Chopsticks
    -- Grumpy White's (I love me a good hamburger)
    -- City Hall Plaza

Thank you guys. Got more things for me to see? Definitely let me know.

Also, I'm working on a photo gallery called "Why do I love Quincy?" If you wanna take part, shoot a photo  (or dig one out of your archives) of why you love Quincy ... Send that to jblack@boston.com along with a few sentence explainer.

You all are the best!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from irisheileen. Show irisheileen's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forum s.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aYour+TownForum%3a4ff24187-ad75-4dda-b831-9641c2a8e348Discussion%3abab22b07-fa0a-452d-be86-39c572fff85e&plckFindPostKey=Cat:Your TownForum:4ff24187-ad75-4dda-b831-9641c2a8e348Discussion:bab22b07-fa0a-452d-be86-39c572fff85ePost:e519df8a-43dd-4096-853a-b080d0c96fc3">Re: What do you love about Quincy?:
    OK ... So, on my Boston-area newcomer list of things to do in Quincy, I've added: -- Check out Wollaston Beach -- China Chopsticks -- Grumpy White's (I love me a good hamburger) -- City Hall Plaza Thank you guys. Got more things for me to see? Definitely let me know. Also, I'm working on a photo gallery called "Why do I love Quincy?" If you wanna take part, shoot a photo  (or dig one out of your archives) of why you love Quincy ... Send that to jblack@boston.com along with a few sentence explainer. You all are the best!

Joe, when you go to Wollaston beach be sure to go hungry and visit Tony's Fried Clam shop, some of the most perfectly fried seafood to be had in the area. The other place that I am crazy about is Pho Hoa on Hancock Street for authentic Vietnamese food.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

My husband is a huge fish and chips fan. Is that the kind of fried seafood you're talking about, @irisheileen?

I'm excited to try Pho Hoa. I don't believe I've ever had Vietamese food before. I've heard it's awesome, just didn't the opportunity before.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from irisheileen. Show irisheileen's posts

My husband is a huge fish and chips fan. Is that the kind of fried seafood you're talking about, @irisheileen? I'm excited to try Pho Hoa. I don't believe I've ever had Vietamese food before. I've heard it's awesome, just didn't the opportunity before.

Absolutely! Fish and chips, fried clams, scallops, you name it. Not heavy and greasy like some places, and good cole slaw too. When you go to Pho Hoa try the lemongrass chicken, or a big steaming bowl of Pho (soup). The fresh shrimp rolls are wonderful too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lz1. Show lz1's posts

Just went to Tony's on Saturday! I tried the lobster roll for the first time. Great food and really good for people-watching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Hey everyone! I started a photo gallery based on some of the responses. It is up at http://www.boston.com/yourtown/quincy/gallery/WhydoyouloveQuincy/ . It's pretty small to start with. Please, e-mail me a few more photos, I'd love to grow the gallery over time. Let me know what you think.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from QuincyTutoring. Show QuincyTutoring's posts

I love the Quincy Chamber of Commerce.  Over the past few years I have created a small business and the folks at the QCC have been extremely helpful getting the business name out there.  The community development component is exciting because we are poised for some major economic growth.  Anybody out there in need of a tutor?  Check out www.quincytutoring.com.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonoutlaws. Show bostonoutlaws's posts

Grumpy Whites has the best fried chicken meal. Their food prices are all reasonable. Fox & Hound on Sea St has very good Fish & Chips, Quincy Jade has some of the better Chinese food in town, and you can't beat the Burger & a Beer deal for $8 at the Half-Door. Fuji has great sushi, as does Kagawa (both on Hancock St), and Fat Cat has some of the best comfort food around.

Even though the water is filthy, there's nothing better than driving by the beach every day on my way to and from work on a sunny day.

The proximity to Rt 3 and 93/Boston is definitely a plus too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

bostonoutlaws: Burger and a beer $8??!! This is something I must try. Thanks for the recommendations! 

Do you recommend any good places to swim? You said the water isn't the cleanest, but is there any place you feel comfortable going?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins73. Show Bruins73's posts

I wouldn't swin in Wallaston Beach and I have lived there my whole life. When I used to go to the beach it would be Nantasket.

I read that many people go to Revere Beach but I've never been there. So I can't comment.

But they have done a lot of clean up in the Wallaston Beach area. It has a great view and all of the new construction and maintenace has made it look very nice. If I wasn't from around here I would swim there.

Compared to what it looked like when I was a kid this is 100% improvement.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins73. Show Bruins73's posts

Oh and on the burgers and beer. Half Door is excellent. They do a good Trivia night on Tuesdays too.  

Fat Cat is really good. I am impressed with what they did with that space and from what I hear they are opening a patio this summer. Just went there on Mothers day. Blackened Chicken Pasta is excellent.

I just recently went to the new bar in Quincy center The Stadium. It is pretty good. Tall beers on draught. Lot's of TV and big seating area. Have tried a lot of their food but the chicken quesidilla is pretty good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oceanlover100. Show oceanlover100's posts

bostonoutlaws : Burger and a beer $8??!! This is something I must try. Thanks for the recommendations!  Do you recommend any good places to swim? You said the water isn't the cleanest, but is there any place you feel comfortable going?

While I completely respect some people's reservations about swimming at Wollaston Beach, truly, the entire Boston Harbor area is SO MUCH cleaner than it was 20 years ago, or even 10.  Most of this is due to the tertiary treatment of sewerage provided at Deer Island.  Yes, after a heavy rainstorm you do need to be careful, but this is true at many beach areas, not just in Quincy.  If you visit the Boston Harbor Islands, Lovell's Island has an amazing beach with a fantastic view of the other islands and Boston Light.  On the North Shore, Winthrop has fantastic beaches.  Though I am NOT knocking Quincy's beaches of course. This morning, May 18th, at lowtide, there were many people digging for clams on Wollaston Beach.  Another great beach in Quincy is the Mound Street Beach in Quincy Point, on Town River Bay.  The water is quite clean there- I swim there all the time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

I totally understand. At least Wollaston sounds like a good place sun bath, then :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Coming from Florida, I miss a good beach. From where I lived in south Jacksonville, I could get to heavily trafficked beaches in about 20 minutes and some quieter ones in about 30-45 minutes.

Which one is quieter -- Mound Street and Town River Bay?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins73. Show Bruins73's posts

Hey let me edit my previous. I said they have done a heck of a job cleaning Wallaston Beach. 100% imporvement from when I was you.

It's more the stigma of how it used to be and remmebering not wanting to wash sand off my hand in it as a kid. That makes me not want to swim there.

Personally someone who didn't see it 20 or 25 years ago should be able to jump in with a clear mind.

They have done great work. Quincy is my home town and I am proud they are making an effort to keep it clean, safe, and looking good.

So check it out for yourself. My jaded opinion is just that.

But those other suggestions sound good too.

Sections
Shortcuts