Must-see in Salem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Must-see in Salem

We had a couple of Salem residents weigh in on our Must-See Guide to Salem, but I'm sure we left a boatload of items out. What should we add to the must-see list at http://www.boston.com/yourtown/salem/gallery/MustSeeinSalem/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Weatherdeck. Show Weatherdeck's posts

Re: Must-see in Salem

I'm a Salem native, who visits often and one who  is still proud of my home town, despite all the junk, represented by about half of what your correspondent classifies as a "Must-See" in Salem:  First what is missing:

Chestnut Street:  This gem is one of the most distinguished streets in the country. FYI Joe, it's where the Sea Captains built their homes.

The Lyceum: A very good restaurant/bistro with a rich pedigree, it's where Hawthorne, Emerson  et al gathered on cold winter nights and  where Alexander Graham  Bell did much of his inventing of the telephone, and where the first phone call was made.  It's why Salem's first telephone exchange was named PIoneer--get it?  We of the Boomer Generation still think the telephone is more useful than Twitter.

The Common: A real city treasure, that is a real public park and playground.  Check out the  swath of impressive buildings.  For those only interested in the  witch-stuff, the Witchcradft Museum is technically located on the Common--but I got to tell you Joe, the Museum used to be a Church--kind of ironic wouldn't you say.

Willows Park:  This seaside park has entertained generations of Salem residents.  The views are stunning, the salt water taffy is authentic, Hobbs' popcorn is simply the best in the world and where else can you eat a great chop suey sandwich  or terrific fried clams while playing Ski-Ball with your kids.  You might also be interested to know that the Willows is open to all, (free parking, no stickers required) and has been a gracious host  for decades, to inner city folk (Boston) who make an outing at the Salem Willows an annual tradition.  
    I could go on but I'm itching to get to the junk attractions  your reporter described that make so many of us "roll our eyes".

First of all, the Withcraft Delusion of 1692 was a  terrible historical event that started in Danvers, known then as Salem Village,  although the subsequent trials and executions took place in Salem.  This, I suppose is  a fine distinction but one that helps in trying to put the whole witch-thing in perspective.  Further, the modern followers of the wiccan religion really have nothing to do with the poor people who were executed  for being on some neighbor's "getting even" list.  Suffce it to say things got out of hand.  So, can you see why that charming little statue of Elizabeth Montgomery makes no sense at all, and I might add takes a measure of history out of this eminently historic city. 

For the record, there were no pirate ships that ever visited Salem.  Johnny Depp and the cute Disney Cast notwithstanding, they (the real pirates) were the bad guys if you remember, criminals, thieves and murderers.  One could even call them eighteenth century terrorists.  I can't criticize  the Pirate Museum though, I've never been in it and probably never will.

I won't comment on the must-see T-shirt emporium but I'm sure you'll wear those really cool designer shirts as truly reflective of your Salem experience.

But you got half of Salem right.  We should all be pleased about that. Now let's hear some more.

Paul Levesque
    Wells, Maine
    SHS '65

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

@Weatherdeck: Thank you for weighing in. I'll start going in and adding some of your suggestions on the real treasures in Salem now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Together we can make the best guide available for anyone visiting or looking to move there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeaParty1776. Show TeaParty1776's posts

I love Salem. Thinking of getting a Condo in the area. I love how you can go into stores and find a kind dog waiting to be petted. The people are so kind and not everyone is a mean old witch with a broom. Only thing thats hard for me at my age is getting around during halloween. But hey, I can watch from the hotel and enjoy the sights.

I have to say Salem is one of my fav places in Ma.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

@TeaParty: I'm new to New England, but Salem is one of the first day trips I'm going to make when I get a chance. It really seems to have a lot of history and culture that can keep one busy for a while.

Sections
Shortcuts