Davis Square vs. the other squares?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

Davis Square vs. the other squares?

A friend of mine and I were debating something fun this weekend: What square is the best in the the area? I have to say I love Davis Square. I love the energy, the food and the people.

Do you agree? What's your favorite square?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from joelabrams. Show joelabrams's posts

Re: Davis Square vs. the other squares?

Davis Square is well known as the Paris of the 90s.  I'm not which square is the Paris of this century.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

The Paris of the 90s? Why would you say that? I love how much fun it is in the area.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffco98. Show jeffco98's posts

Davis is still probably the best square, but look out for Magoun to take over as the coolest in a few years when the Green Line arrives.
    We have a good base with Olde Magoun Saloon and Lil' Vinny's. They are fixing up the sidewalks and traffic patterns right now. This square has tons of potential.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCJoeAllenBlack. Show BDCJoeAllenBlack's posts

The Green Line Extension is going to be huge. I've never been to Olde Magoun Saloon nor Lil' Vinny's. What kinds of places are they?

When you're in Davis, where do you like to go?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffco98. Show jeffco98's posts

Old Magoun is a great Irish/Sports bar. Good atmosphere and crowd.Food is really good too.

Lil' Vinnys is an Italian restarant. Really good food. Save the trip to the North End and check out Lil' Vinny's.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dblewis01. Show dblewis01's posts

I love Ball Square, feuding breakfast restaurants, world class Lyndells Bakery, Victor's Deli, Kelly's Diner, Bowling, and so much more!  Add the T Stop an even Magoun will have a tough time keeping up.  Time to take down the old Dr Johansson Vet's building and put up something nice... maybe a small movie house (again) or a grocery shop.  Mitch, we miss your store.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from simplelism. Show simplelism's posts

check out union sq.  nice restaurants, pastry shops.  Two great cafe Bloc 11 (same as Diesel on Davis Sq.), sherman cafe and their nice local food shop.  Ricky's flower market is very cute.  Pick up some local produce every Saturday in farmer's market. hmmm, how can you miss Jimbo's chicken wing and Neighborhood Restaurant's delicious brunch.  If you want to venture a little bit, Inman sq and Central sq is in walking distance.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SBD123456. Show SBD123456's posts

I love Union Square too.  So many restaurants - and so much variety.  We have the two coffeehouses, multiple bars, American, Mexican, Peruvian, Thai, Indian and Chinese food.  Then there are the stores that have opened up like Grand and Sherman's market.  And the farmer's market is there of course on Saturdays.  It's almost all local businesses down in Union.  And there's always events going on in the summer, little markets or the fluff-festival or whatnot.  I live about 5 blocks away and I moved to this neighborhood because I could see Union Square was going to be cool and it has definitely fulfilled its promise.

But let's talk about a non-square - Highland Ave! With Highland Kitchen, we have great food.  Then there's the new bakery - the Chocolate Tarte.  There's the Arts at the Armory.  A yoga place and an Italian cafe.  And for those of us with wee ones, the awesome local business Diaper Lab.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SBD123456. Show SBD123456's posts

In Response to Re: Davis Square vs. the other squares?:
    When you're in Davis, where do you like to go?
    Posted by BDCJoeAllenBlack

In Davis, I like DSquared for buying gifts.  I like Mr. Crepe for a great, family-friendly place to hang out.  I like JP Licks and the big square in front of it, for a hot summer night.  And the movie theater.  And of course, the bike path there takes me back home.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

There are some good spots and love the Somerville theater, but both Davis and Union are pretty much havens for hipsters. I want to sit in the middle of Davis with my camera and submit to latfh.com.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedOctober. Show RedOctober's posts

I'll place my vote for Union Square too.  It's a great place and only getting better.  Construction will be done soon.  New and interesting businesses opening regularly.  Greenline is on it's way. 

The sense of community here is amazing.  There are so many events throughtout the year that bring everyone together(Farmer's Market, Fluff Festival, etc...).  Union Square Main Streets has done a great job building up the identity of the square. It really is the new Davis Sq. now that Davis has gotten so expensive and lost its identity.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedOctober. Show RedOctober's posts

....regarding the other square.  Ball square is also a great place, it just lacks a bit of the night life at this point.  In Magoun, Lil' Vinny's has great food and I love the atmosphere at Old Magoun Saloon.  It doesn't feel much like a square/neighborhood though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tfxc. Show tfxc's posts

I like all the memorial squares on the side streets, always stop to read the signs when I wander about. It's good to be reminded of who lived here before and what they did for us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaverMA. Show BeaverMA's posts

....regarding the other square.  Ball square is also a great place, it just lacks a bit of the night life at this point.  In Magoun, Lil' Vinny's has great food and I love the atmosphere at Old Magoun Saloon.  It doesn't feel much like a square/neighborhood though.
    Posted by RedOctober

Admittedly, I am a Magoun fanboy. This square will blow up once the green line comes in.  The Saloon, Vinny's, Wangs and Modello Bakery are a good start.  Add the T with all that available store front = Soon to be the best square in Somerville.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CKOKeefe. Show CKOKeefe's posts

Davis is still probably the best square, but look out for Magoun to take over as the coolest in a few years when the Green Line arrives. We have a good base with Olde Magoun Saloon and Lil' Vinny's. They are fixing up the sidewalks and traffic patterns right now. This square has tons of potential.
    Posted by jeffco98

I agree with Jeff on this one. The business owners and residents are working together to bring this square up to its full potential.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CKOKeefe. Show CKOKeefe's posts

In Response to Re: Davis Square vs. the other squares? : Admittedly, I am a Magoun fanboy. This square will blow up once the green line comes in.  The Saloon, Vinny's, Wangs and Modello Bakery are a good start.  Add the T with all that available store front = Soon to be the best square in Somerville.
    Posted by BeaverMA

I would love to see some solid businesses fill up those available store fronts before the greenline comes in. This way, the square is established and the greenline can bring folks into Magoun.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedOctober. Show RedOctober's posts

Union Square has a bunch of empty spaces right now also.  I dont't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems a shame to have building in prime locations like Magoun and Union sit empty.  Is there something the city can do to get things moving?

In Union, I would point out the site of the Korean restaurant next to dunkin donuts, the shop across the parking lot from SCAT (formerly an antique store then temporary art gallery) and the former chinese restaurant on Somerville Ave (used to be a big red house, recently painted a bunch of pastel colors...interesting choice).  All of these would make a great home for a new business.  I'm not sure what the owners are doing.  Perhaps something is in the works, but I would be interested to know when they're going to make something happen.  they've been vacant for a while.

I also think the city should motivate businesses to clean up their store fronts more.  I've heard that the city provides financial assistance for signage and such, but more needs to be done.  A simple paint job would go a long way.  That salmon color of the Vet building is horrendous.  The chipping green paint on elegant furniture is not so elegant.  I don't think owners realized the value in this small effort.  For my neighborhood, I'd even be willing to donate time or money to clean up these store fronts since I think it's important to the prosperity of the whole area.  I wish there was a way to contribute to this effort.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devilsadvocate. Show devilsadvocate's posts

RedOctober: you're right - there are funds to improving storefornts (not just signage, but the facade, etc).  But telling already strapped businesses to spend money on the outside is a little crazy. How do you motivate them? Fine them?

There aren't many 'thriving' businesses that have money to burn. And many need to improve the interior decor or the infrastructure first because the spaces are so old. If you want, go into a store and tell the owner you want to help them. Bring your neighbors if they'll come. See what they say.

I sense a kind of denial among long time residents talking about Somerville, they seem to be ignoreing large amount of vacant retail that exists. Folks in my neck of the woods (Winter Hill) keep acting like the Star Market parcel is a goldmine even though all of the retail in a 2 block radius is decrepit...unless its a new bank.  I'm all for optimism but it's not just 'a few' empty stores. I'd be interested to get a report from the city on the commercial vacancy rates. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedOctober. Show RedOctober's posts

Good points DA.  The only thing I would argue is for the value of a cleaned up storefront.  As I mentioned in my previous email, there is value in having a nice exterior.  The most important challenge for a business is getting people in the door.  A clean and nice looking storefront is the first step.  And a little elbow grease and about $100 in paint can do wonders.

Asking the city to "motivate" these owners probably isn't the right terminology.  I was thinking more along the lines of incentives like temporary tax breaks or easier methods for getting this available funding.  I would guess that the city spends thousands on beautification during the year.  I would argue that the money would be better spent on these businesses since it would allow them to grown and thrive.  In turn, this would increase cash flow for the city.

I'll start asking around my neighborhood to see if there is interest in supporting this effort.  If it works here then maybe it'll work in other areas of the city.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurie19. Show laurie19's posts

Davis Sq looks good compared to the 70's & 80's but driving through is a nightmare. Also If your comparing places to eat I think Davis Sq is good and was at the peak in the 70s'..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuminaGershfield. Show LuminaGershfield's posts

Union Square has a bunch of empty spaces right now also.  I dont't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems a shame to have building in prime locations like Magoun and Union sit empty.  Is there something the city can do to get things moving? In Union, I would point out the site of the Korean restaurant next to dunkin donuts, the shop across the parking lot from SCAT (formerly an antique store then temporary art gallery) and the former chinese restaurant on Somerville Ave (used to be a big red house, recently painted a bunch of pastel colors...interesting choice).  All of these would make a great home for a new business.  I'm not sure what the owners are doing.  Perhaps something is in the works, but I would be interested to know when they're going to make something happen.  they've been vacant for a while. I also think the city should motivate businesses to clean up their store fronts more.  I've heard that the city provides financial assistance for signage and such, but more needs to be done.  A simple paint job would go a long way.  That salmon color of the Vet building is horrendous.  The chipping green paint on elegant furniture is not so elegant.  I don't think owners realized the value in this small effort.  For my neighborhood, I'd even be willing to donate time or money to clean up these store fronts since I think it's important to the prosperity of the whole area.  I wish there was a way to contribute to this effort.
    Posted by RedOctober

I agree!  I would love to go contribute to the community and clean it up!

Sections
Shortcuts