Somerville Kindergarten Policy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mshiffer. Show mshiffer's posts

Somerville Kindergarten Policy

My fiancée and I live in Somerville and have a son who will be 4 in Dec. We're starting to look for schools and have discovered two things. First, there is a hard age cut-off for children entering kindergarten and that testing in is "not allowed". Second, the people I have spoken too in order to get information about this policy are extremely hostile about it--questioning it seems to be paramount to treason.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue who might be able to a)explain the history and associated hostility about this subject and b) has anyone tried and either successfully or unsuccessfully fought this policy? I have a background in psychology and neuroscience and I agree with a policy that keeps non developmentally prepared kids out of kindergarten. I am also aware that children mature at different rates and that a strict age cut off is not really the best implementation of this policy... testing is far more appropriate.

Any information or experiences anyone has had with this here in Somerville would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinklady. Show pinklady's posts

Re: Somerville Kindergarten Policy

I have always thought the Kindergarten policy is a state or federal policy.  A child must be 5 before Sept 1 to be eligible for Kind. that year.
    Also, Somerville does have a 3-4 year old program, but I forget what they call it.

In Response to Somerville Kindergarten Policy:
    My fiancée and I live in Somerville and have a son who will be 4 in Dec. We're starting to look for schools and have discovered two things. First, there is a hard age cut-off for children entering kindergarten and that testing in is "not allowed". Second, the people I have spoken too in order to get information about this policy are extremely hostile about it--questioning it seems to be paramount to treason. Has anyone had any experience with this issue who might be able to a)explain the history and associated hostility about this subject and b) has anyone tried and either successfully or unsuccessfully fought this policy? I have a background in psychology and neuroscience and I agree with a policy that keeps non developmentally prepared kids out of kindergarten. I am also aware that children mature at different rates and that a strict age cut off is not really the best implementation of this policy... testing is far more appropriate. Any information or experiences anyone has had with this here in Somerville would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark
    Posted by mshiffer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from djdreilinger. Show djdreilinger's posts

I imagine the Parent Information Center would have info about the Capuano pre-K program:
    http://www.somerville.k12.ma.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=13810
    There's also the Somerville Family Network: 617-625-6600 x6967
    Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrssjb. Show mrssjb's posts

The Capuano school Pre-K program is called Smile, and it is a wonderful program.  I beleive that the hard cut-off for entering kindergarten as a policy is as much to alleviate administrative burden as it is to protect children from entering school before they are ready, BOTH socially and intellectually.  If your four year old is ready for kindergarten but won't be 5 before hte cut-off date, maybe you should consider a private program that will address his specific needs.  I often thought that my son could have started kindergarten at age 4, (he would be 5 in November) but as he has gotten older, although intellecutally he is still ahead of most of his classmates, from the social aspect it seems to have been a good call to wait until age 5, he is right where he should be. 

Regarding the hostility, there must be something in the air at the PIC, I have had a number of dealings with them over the past 16 years and 2 kids in the system, and only once did I speak to someone who seemed to have any clue about customer service or being civil to the parents who call them.  My experience has been that those who work there are incredibly rude and cannot do enough to let you know what a nuisance and annoyance you are to make them have to do their jobs.  Sorry you had the same experience, and I have complained to those in positions of power within the school department, but I guess nothing has changed. 

Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nodoubt51282. Show nodoubt51282's posts

It is called project smile.  I was in it when I was a little girl back in 1985-86.  It is a great program.  However your child can not start kindergarten until he is 5 before sept 1st.  So he can start this sept. 

Sections
Shortcuts