Are receptionists obsolete?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddsuburbs. Show ddsuburbs's posts

Are receptionists obsolete?

Okay, so columnist Scott Kirsner thinks receptionists are on the endangered species list. Receptionists, put down the phone and tell us what you think. Office workers, let us know if your receptionist is needed. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from alternawizmoshuy. Show alternawizmoshuy's posts

Re: Are receptionists obsolete?

Definitely not. They are the fabric of an office.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

There is not any worse first impression than having clients walk into an empty waiting room without someone to greet, direct, and answer questions.  Receptionists add value to a company.  If you don't think your receptionist is adding value, you have the wrong person in the position.  If a company discontiues their reception services I will take my business to a company that better understands their clients' needs. 

I expect Mr. Kirsner is also a fan of telephone menus, you know, when you call a company and have to listen to a five minute greeting (your call is very important to us . . . we have changed our menu to serve  you . . . ) that doesn't answer your questions, doesn't connect you to a department or person with whom you wish to speak, and simply results in five minutes of your life lost and feelings of frustration. 

Receptionists are certainly not obsolete.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgearty. Show tgearty's posts

They're not obsolete at all, but try to tell that to any business who puts us through all kinds of hoops to get us to the department we think we want to go to, and it doesn't always turn out to be the right one.   How much time we customers/clients waste.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allforcharity. Show allforcharity's posts

Man, I hope not.  I don't know who would answer our co-workers' pressing questions such as: Is it raining? (reception has no window) Do I need a jacket? (in January) or what should I have for lunch today?

The receptionist, in all honesty, knows ALL.  I don't know how any company could do without a good, experienced one. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

The question is ridiculous on the face of it. It assumes an all or nothing answer for all situations. Some companies need a receptionist and some don't.

A smart businessman would have a reliable way to determine that. Or maybe a business school could research it rigorously. Or how about the Commerce Dept?

BTW, it sure sounded to me like Mr. Kirsner was stating an observation not a preference. Just because you predict or observe a trend, doesn't mean you think it is a good idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jennagilbert. Show Jennagilbert's posts

To have customers/clients/patients be greeted by someone already doing business with you or thinking about doing business with you is a huge and important  impression of an office.  Someone covering a front desk position is invaluable to any office where the public comes and goes, particularly if they show a pleasant and caring demeanor.  How many times have you dined somewhere and not been satisfied because of a waitstaff person with an attitude?  This could hold true for office staff.  They are truly underated and underappreciated in many offices.  Secretaries/Receptionists/Admistrators/Clerical staff are the backbone of a successful office and employers need to realize this and compensate accordingly. As you can see, I do believe "receptionists" are necessary and in most case are so much more than "receptionists".

Sections
Shortcuts