Moody Street makeover

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCNewsEditor. Show BDCNewsEditor's posts

Moody Street makeover

While eateries have been successful on Moody Street, many retail shops and service businesses are struggling, and vacancies are going unfilled. An honors class at Bentley University has created a road map for reviving Moody Street. It says, for starters, clean the gum and cigarette butts off the sidewalks, put up clear parking signs and readable meters, provide more trash receptacles, and consider actually clearing snow from the sidewalks.

What do you think of the report? What else can we do to help Moody Street?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justin777. Show justin777's posts

Moody Street makeover

When I lived in Jamaica Plain if you didn't shovel your walk the city gave you a ticket. It's a no-brainer, if people can't get to the shops they won't do business. Getting from the Spruce St PO to Moody Street is a death-defying act, between the ice and having to walk in the street. can't understand why the city doesn't enforce sidewalk shoveling. when driving, I come close to hitting pedestrians all over town, esp at night, as everyone has to walk in the street.

parking is a big problem, as at night the lots are already maxed out, so what to do, what to do? i can't think of an easy answer, unless we build multi level garages over exisiting lots. not sure anyone wnats that either. And yes, it would be nice if one could see the time on one's meter thru etched glass. money makers like meters should get SOME funding, you would think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Moody Street makeover

How about some figgin parking? I won't go to Moody Street for dinner or to the movies because I can never find a parking space.

How about doing something about the traffic flows on Main Street? In order to get to Moody Street most people have to drive down Main Street and the traffic flows on Main Street are horrendous.

How about a police force that treats people with respect? The police in Waltham are the most disrespectful people I've ever seen. They act like they are God's gift to mankind when they look like they've spent way too much time at the feed trough.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from turtle91. Show turtle91's posts

Moody Street makeover

I think the lack of of a clear brand for Moody St. mirrors the greater lack of identity for Waltham on the whole. On one end of the spectrum, Waltham hosts the headquarters of three Fortune 500 companies (tied with Framingham for the most F500 HQ's in MA), yet on the other it struggles to sustain the Moody St. businesses. Less than 5 miles separate the office parks of Winter and Wyman streets from Moody St., yet -- on the surface, at least -- there appears to be a chasm between the two areas. In my humble opinion, Waltham's city councilors would be wise to lessen that disconnect by doing a better job of marketing Moody St. to businesses and providing free local transportation services (e.g. Hartford CT's free Star Shuttle circulator service) that reduce the perceived parking burden, provide on-board advertising opprtunities for businesses, and generally make it easier for Moody St. to be perceived as a destination. Though the Bentley report included much in the way of seemingly anectodal suggestions, they were strong nonetheless and the report provided a much-needed fresh look at the issues affecting Moody St.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Moody Street makeover

Regulation of pedestrian traffic would help also. People darting across the streets from between parked cars, jaywalking, etc, really impedes traffic flow and endangers the pedestrians and the drivers. Enforce crosswalk laws.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 9Crescent. Show 9Crescent's posts

Moody Street makeover

I think that the city has to make a decision on Moody Street soon. They should decide if they want to go forward with a specific plan for the street, or just let the street take care of itself and whatever happens happens. These discussions on what Moody Street should be have to end at some point. Also, expectations should be reigned in. Moody Street is not going to be Newbury Steet. Heck, Newbury Street isn't even Newbury Street anymore.

Let's pick a plan and a schedule or let's stop talking about it.

Sections
Shortcuts