|6||flour tortillas (8 inches)|
|1||cooked chicken (3 1/2 pounds)|
|2||jars (16 ounces each) mild or medium tomato salsa|
|1||cup frozen corn, rinsed with cold water|
|1||can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained|
|3||cups grated mixed Jack cheese and cheddar|
|1/3||cup sour cream|
|4||scallions, finely chopped (for garnish)|
|Extra sour cream (for serving)|
1. Set the oven at 375 degrees. Have on hand a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Using kitchen shears, cut the tortillas into 2-inch-wide strips.
3. With your hands, remove and discard the skin and bones from the chicken. Using kitchen shears or your hands, cut or shred the chicken into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Add 1 jar of salsa, corn, and black beans. Mix well.
5. Pour half the remaining salsa into the baking dish and spread it evenly. Add 1/3 of the tortilla strips, 1/2 the chicken mixture, and 1 cup of the cheese. With a small spoon, add half the sour cream in dollops. Use a spatula to spread the sour cream (this will look messy, but that’s OK).
6. Continue layering tortilla strips, chicken mixture, grated cheese, and sour cream, reserving 1 cup of the cheese. Add the remaining tortilla strips, then the remaining salsa. Spread salsa evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup cheese.
7. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling at the edges and the top is brown. Cut into squares and top with more sour cream. Julie Riven