Submitted by a pet owner from Hanover
Do you have an overweight pet?
Harrison Forbes, a dog trainer and animal behaviorist, gave Fox the following tips for how to help your pet battle the bulge.
- Table scraps misconception. There is a misconception that your dog isn't overeating if you don't give him table scraps. He very well could be!
- Beware of "free feeding." This means you fill a bowl up at the beginning of the day and let the dog eat from it all day. Follow the food guidelines instead.
- Not sure if your dog is overweight? Use the "eyeball barometer." This means if you stand over your dog and you can't see a little bit of curvature after the ribs, your dog is probably overweight.
- Exercise more and eat less. The rules are the same for pets as they are for people when it comes to losing weight.
- We grossly underestimate the amount of exercise dogs need. A little walk around the block in the morning and afternoon is not cutting it. Dogs need sprinting exercise.
Find out more about how to get your obese pet healthy in this Fox43 video. And learn about products that can help.
Share a photo of your overweight pet and tell us what you're doing to help your pet get healthy.