When veterinarian Dr. Jyl Rubin was at a holiday party recently, a giant pit bull jumped up out of nowhere and took a bite out of a German chocolate cupcake in her hand.
It's a reminder to watch our holiday sweets carefully around pets because sweets can make pets sick, Dr. Jyl told Fox 40 in the clip below.
"Macadamia nuts and walnuts can be very toxic to pets," Dr. Jyl said in the Fox 40 interview. "So keep your cookies and your sweets away from your pets. Make sure you have designated treats for them."
Here are some more items you should keep away from your pets this month, according to Dr. Jyl in the featured interview:
Tinsel and ornaments can be a danger to your pet. That's because cats like to chase and eat tinsel. And plenty of Christmas tree ornaments look edible. Keep those ornaments up high for pets who don't know the difference.
Keep wires and cords away from your pet, who may chew them and get injured. And remember that a pretty burning candle can be knocked over by a pet and cause a fire.
Mistletoe, poinsetta, and foxtails can be dangerous to pets if eaten. So check what exactly is in that flower arrangement before placing it around the house.
And, finally, keep pets away from gift wrap and ribbon.