RadioBDC Logo
Fever | The Black Keys Listen Live

< Back to front page Text size +

Photography classes at Hunt's Photo & Video

Posted by Teresa Hanafin January 8, 2014 08:00 AM

Yesterday I posted an entry about photography classes at Calumet; today I'm highlighting the lineup of January and February classes being offered by Hunt's Photo & Video at its flagship store at 100 Main St. in Melrose.

The lineup of classes, workshops, and seminars at Hunt's:

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

Photography classes at Calumet Photographic

Posted by Teresa Hanafin January 7, 2014 08:00 AM

Calumet Photographic, the national camera chain with a store in Cambridge, will offer classes in beginning photography, shooting in RAW, lighting, moving beyond auto mode, color management, and inkjet printing during the first quarter of the year.

(Tomorrow: Classes offered at Hunt's Photo & Video in Melrose)

At the Cambridge location at 150 First St. (near Lechmere T station on the Green Line and the Cambridgeside Galleria), Calumet will offer:

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

Canon lets you play with camera controls online

Posted by Teresa Hanafin January 6, 2014 01:52 PM

I have to say, this is pretty cool. Canon has set up a virtual EOS DSLR on its website, along with controls for aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. You can choose manual settings, shutter priority, or aperture priority.

CanonVirtualCamera.jpg

There is a scene of toys on a bedroom floor, including a plane with a rotating propeller. After you make the adjustments you want, click the light blue shutter release and you'll get the image you created via your settings.

So if you choose shutter priority, for example, and choose a shutter speed of 1/2000ths of a second, in your photo the propeller will be perfectly still. Under aperture priority, set an f- stop of 16 and even the jack-in-the-box in the background will be in focus. A high ISO introduces grain (make sure you decrease the light you're letting in.)

Check out the examples shown on the gray tab on the left. Have fun, and let me know if you see anything that works particularly well or doesn't seem quite accurate.

ADD A COMMENT (0)

DPR: Best compact cameras for enthusiasts

Posted by Teresa Hanafin December 6, 2013 02:29 PM
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X100S

DPReview has picked its 5 best compact cameras for advanced amateurs. It writes:

"There's a long tradition of high-quality compact cameras going back more than a hundred years, and even now, in the days of digital, there are some incredibly capable compact cameras on the market.

"Shop carefully and you can get excellent image quality, full manual control and plenty of other bells and whistles, provided you don't mind paying a little more than you might for the average point and shoot.

"Top-notch lenses, great sensors and plenty of control are the hallmarks of every one of our top five recommended compact cameras for enthusiasts."

Their picks: The Fujifilm X100S (pictured above), the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II, the Olympus Stylus 1, the Canon G16, and the Fujifilm X20.

Click on any camera link above to see DPR's complete specs, sample images, user reviews, and more. And tell us in the comments below what compact cameras you like.

ADD A COMMENT (0)

The end of the DSLR?

Posted by Teresa Hanafin December 6, 2013 06:00 AM

Hello RAW friends,

Time to gear up this blog again. Sorry to do so with a story that may set your teeth on edge, but ...

SonyNEX.png

Gizmodo's Michael Hession has written an interesting piece about what he says is the inevitable demise of the DSLR.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

2013 Marathon live updates

Posted by Teresa Hanafin April 15, 2013 01:26 PM

ADD A COMMENT (0)

Gizmodo picks the best smartphone camera

Posted by Teresa Hanafin February 18, 2013 07:51 PM

By Mario Aguilar and Nick Stango
Gizmodo

A zillion new smartphones are going to be announced soon at Mobile World Congress, each promising camera advancements that may or may not live up to the hype. Before we get there, though, we wanted to take stock of how good the cameras are in the smartphones you can buy now. Here's how the flagships measure up.

ADD A COMMENT (0)

Photo Nights Boston plans local photography festival

Posted by Teresa Hanafin November 29, 2012 04:46 PM
NachtweyPhotoProjection.jpg
Photos by Time Magazine documentary photographer James Nachtwey were projected on buildings across the world in 2008

Wouldn't it be cool to see photographs projected on the sides of iconic buildings and skyscrapers in downtown Boston?

That's the dream of some local photographers and visual artists who are working to put together a festival next fall that would use buildings and huge projectors to highlight some of the best local photography.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (2)

An essay about Rebirth Workshops

Posted by Teresa Hanafin November 20, 2012 02:00 AM

By Kate Passaro
Rockland

Teresa asked me to write about my experience at the Rebirth Workshop last spring in Mississippi. Now that it's been several months since I returned, I'm happy to look back and provide an overview of what we did that made it such an intense experience for me as a photographer.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (1)

Contests update - upload fixed ... !

Posted by Teresa Hanafin November 19, 2012 05:04 PM

As you know, many of you have had trouble getting the photos you submitted to the past few contests - June's 'My Backyard', July's 'Need for Speed', August's 'Center It', and October's 'The Color Green'. It's a problem that has plagued every department here that uses the photo submit tool, from News to Sports to A&E.

One of our newsroom developers has given us a snippet of code to add in front of the code for the form you fill out to attach and submit your photos. Early reports are that it works. So I've added it to our August and October contest forms; if you have tried to submit a photo, but didn't get a confirmation or see your photo in those galleries, please try again.

Here are the links to those pages:

June 'My Backyard' contest

July 'Need for Speed' contest

August 'Center It' contest

October 'The Color Green' contest

Sorry for the hassle you've had to endure ... meanwhile, we've signed a contract with a photo-upload company called Cell Journalist whose software we think you'll like. I'll let you know when we switch to that platform.

ADD A COMMENT (11)

Panopticon Gallery exhibits extended

Posted by Teresa Hanafin November 19, 2012 02:22 PM
HaroldFeinsteinDiner.jpg
Man Smoking in 14th Street Diner, NYC, 1970
Photo by Harold Feinstein

Because of what organizers describe as an overwhelming response, the Panopticon Gallery, inside the Hotel Commonwealth in Kenmore Square, has decided to extend its Harold Feinstein exhibit until Jan. 8.

"Harold Feinstein | A Retrospective" displays about 50 years' worth of some of Feinstein's best-known black-and-white images, from the boardwalk at Coney Island and the streets of New York, to his tour of duty as a grunt in Korea.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

Camera advice from Consumer Reports

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 23, 2012 06:00 AM

By Consumer Reports magazine

Unless all you ever do with photographs is text them or upload them to Facebook, you need a real camera. Even models that are barely larger than a phone offer optical zoom (some as high as 10x), along with a wider variety of controls than a phone. Advanced models let you shoot more types of subjects under more varied conditions, including very low light.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

October contest theme: The color green

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 21, 2012 12:49 PM

October is our color theme month. I was tempted to use red or blue, since they are nice, strong colors. But this being an election year, choosing one of those colors is fraught with danger. So lest I be accused of favoring Democrats or Republicans, let's go with green.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (7)

A change to RAW's front page

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 21, 2012 12:22 PM

Hello friends:

As you can see, it has been difficult for me to keep up with updating all of the various elements on the front page of RAW that we created to highlight all of our features. That page was created in our content management system and put in place of the traditional blog index page.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (2)

'Famous Places' contest Top 10

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 19, 2012 06:21 PM

By Paul Marotta
Perfect Bokeh Photography

As an editor and curator, I look at a lot of images every day and, by necessity, have to look at them from the standpoint of their potential application. This particular contest, Famous Places, lends itself to that concept quite easily. So I thought it might help fellow shooters out there to look at their potential shots from that standpoint, and in particular for three specific applications: magazine, book, and CD covers.

Which means there are heavy technical considerations to take into account when shooting.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (3)

Featured Photographer: Ben Rifkin
Life and wildlife in Madagascar

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 19, 2012 12:21 PM

RifkinHostFather.JPG

Ben Rifkin's host-father in the village of Faux Cap, Madagascar
Photo by Ben Rifkin

By Ben Rifkin
Sudbury

For years before I started college, I knew I wanted to spend a semester studying abroad, but I wasn't sure where. By my junior year at Brandeis, I made up my mind to travel somewhere off the beaten path, and, of course, Madagascar is pretty far off the beaten path for someone like me.

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

A photo guide to Cape Cod -
with GPS coordinates!

Posted by Teresa Hanafin September 17, 2012 01:49 PM

BassHoleWalkwayOpt.jpg

Bass Hole Walkway
Photo by Arnold J. Kaplan

Everybody likes to take great photos at scenic locales, but sometimes it's hard to know exactly where to go to get that fantastic shot that's going to end up framed over your fireplace, given as a treasured gift, or - hopefully! - sold at a show.

Well, now you don't have to worry about finding wonderful scenes on Cape Cod: We heard from a RAW friend, Arnold Kaplan, about his new guidebook to taking photos of some of the best scenes on the Cape.

What's all the more remarkable about this project is that Arnold is 96 years old! He also wrote the guidebook "How to Find and Photograph Photo Scenics In Vermont", and has been taking photos for more than 80 years. He was awarded the high honor of "Associate" (APSA) by the Photographic Society of America in 1974, and two years later, was awarded the title of "Artiste" (AFIAP) by the Photographic International de L'Art in Europe for outstanding achievement in photo education, photo exhibitions, and skill as a photographer.

He writes:

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

August contest theme: Center It

Posted by Teresa Hanafin August 1, 2012 04:13 PM

With all we have learned about the Rule of Thirds -- and seen how effective it is -- why would you ever center your main subject in a photo? Here's what some of the pros say:

READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (20)

Local photo exhibits:
Russell duPont, Griffin, Panopticon ...

Posted by Teresa Hanafin August 1, 2012 10:55 AM

Some local photo exhibits worth visiting:

Toward Beacon Hill by Russell duPont
"Toward Beacon Hill"
Photo by Russell duPont
READ MORE

ADD A COMMENT (0)

JOIN THE RAW DAWGS

Welcome to your community for New England's amateur photographers. Take pictures ... get published ... win money ... have a blast!
OCTOBER THEME
The Color Green
It's the color of hope, envy, regeneration, relaxation, and money -- as well as the theme of the October contest. Make it the focal point of your best photograph.
Upcoming events

Featured Photographer

Featured Photographer: Ben Rifkin
Life and wildlife in Madagascar
For years before I started college, I knew I wanted to spend a semester studying abroad, but I wasn't sure where. By my junior year at Brandeis, I made up my mind to travel somewhere off the beaten path, and, of course, Madagascar is pretty far off the beaten path for someone like me....
An essay about Rebirth Workshops
Now that it's been several months since I returned from a week-long Rebirth Workshop in Mississippi, I'm happy to look back and provide an overview of what we did that made it such an intense experience for me as a photographer....
Photography apps for your phone
Thinking of ditching your separate camera and moving to just using your phone for all your photos? What apps should you go for? Instagram made headlines recently after being bought by Facebook for $1 billion. What does it include, and what else is out there?...
archives