It's easy to enter:
Amateur photographers: Display your talent by entering your best shot in RAW's monthly photo contest. A professional photographer makes the final choices, and the top three win cold, hard cash: $100 for first place, $50 for second, and $25 for third. Each month has a different theme. You can find the current theme on the RAW homepage.
We used to use Flickr for our contests, but are currently testing a new upload tool that one of our developers built. On the RAW homepage, find the link for the current contest. Inside that entry, read the description of the contest and the quick summary of rules. At the bottom will be a link to the contest gallery.
* One submission per theme per month. Sometimes your photo has to be taken in the month of the contest, and sometimes it doesn't. Read each month's rules carefully.
* Your photo must be taken by you and be original.
* You can submit a photo that was entered in a previous RAW contest; however, you cannot enter a photo that placed First, Second, or Third in a previous RAW contest.
* You can post-process your photos to enhance them.
* Do not add a copyright watermark; I don't want our judges to see your names.
* All photos must be submitted from the 1st of the month through midnight on the last day of the month.
* Please submit jpegs, not .bmp or .tiff files.
* Please do not submit high-resolution photos. Size horizontals at 1024px wide and verticals at 500px wide, and set the resolution at 96 dpi (ppi) -- that's the maximum resolution of a PC (a Mac is 72), so anything higher than that is wasted.
In Photoshop, under the File menu, Save for Web, then choose jpeg and maximum on the screen that comes up.
* Please, no professionals (anyone who derives more than half their income from photography). This site is for amateurs - from casual shooters to serious hobbyists who don't have the access to publishers that the pros do, and who want to learn and improve. Besides, you pros are too good - you'd win every month! Thanks for honoring this.
* If you're related to me, you can't enter. (Sorry, Uncle Ansel.) If you work for the Globe or Boston.com or the Worcester Telegram & Gazette or The Boston Metro or any other company that The New York Times has scooped up lately, you're not eligible to win, either. Such is life.
* A professional judge will narrow the field to 50 photos (25 if there are fewer than 150 entries) and again cull the field to a Top 10. We'll announce the winners sometime between the 10th and 15th of every month -- sometimes sooner -- and also notify the winners via e-mail.
Other stuff you should know:
* You keep the copyright to your photos. We won't sell them. But by submitting them to us, you're giving us permission to publish them on Boston.com or The Boston Globe and in any marketing we may do to promote this amateur photography site.
* We won't alter your photos other than to run them as large as possible on a webpage without harming the quality, and to shrink them to thumbnails on other pages.
Here's the jib-jab from the lawyers:
By submitting your photo(s) to Boston.com, you grant Boston.com and The Boston Globe a royalty-free license to publicly display, reproduce, and use the photographs in any form or media for any and all editorial and related promotional purposes in perpetuity. However, you will retain the copyright to your photo(s) and Boston.com and The Boston Globe will not sell your photo(s). You also warrant that the photo is your original work, does not violate the copyright or any other personal or property right of any third party, and you have obtained any and all releases and permissions necessary for our intended use.
Questions? Just leave a comment and I'll answer. Or, if you don't want to ask publicly, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.