I've tapped the Globe's excellent Photo Dept. for our judge for the June 'Singular' contest: Susan Vermazen, who has been with the Globe as a picture editor and multimedia editor since 2000.
Before arriving at the Globe, Susan, a graduate of Boston University, had quite the interesting and varied resume:
- Rolling Stone Magazine, 1976-1980
- New York Magazine, 1980-1994
- Author of "War Torn: Survivors and Victims in the Late Twentieth Century, Recorded by Thirty-One Photographers" - Introduction by Thomas Friedman
- Edited "Deeds of War" by James Nachtwey - Introduction by Robert Stone
- Edited "Light Years" by Douglas Kirkland
- Edited "Stay This Moment" by Sam Abell, National Geographic
- Contributed to three of the "Day in the Life of ..." series of books, including "A Day in the Life of America", "A Day in the Life of China", and "A Day in the Life of Italy"
- Team leader, Eddie Adams Workshop
- 2nd Unit coordinator, "Days of Heaven" directed by Terrence Malick
- Zombie in "Dawn of the Dead" directed by George Romero
Uh, yes, you read those last two entries correctly! To be able to say that you were a zombie, well, how can you beat that?
Susan has all 165 photo submissions; she'll choose a Final 50, write some comments, then narrow her choices to a Top 10, with the first three in order of finish.
NOTE: Paul Marotta, who did such a terrific job on our May "Reflections" contest, is returning to judge the July "Grill It!" contest. There are just 83 entries, so we'll skip the Final 50 or Final 25 and go right to the Top 10.
I'll also nail down a judge for the August "Rule of Thirds" contest this week, and we'll be getting caught up. My new Community producer started this week, so help has finally arrived.
JOIN THE RAW DAWGS
Life and wildlife in Madagascar