Susan Vermazen, the Globe photo editor who judged the 'Singular' photo contest for us, evaluated the overall field of photos as "a really interesting, thoughtful effort." She has some good, basic advice that in summary, really says, "Slow down!"
I would advise the shooters to (in this order):
1. Really think about the assignment before shooting.
2. Think about what the editor is asking for.
3. Think about what it means.
4. Think of what or who or where in your life that goes with what you are feeling about the assignment.
5. Think about the best time of day/evening/night to make the image conform to your vision.
6. Then go and shoot.
I'll post Susan's Top 10, including the First, Second, and Third Place winners, on Friday afternoon. Meanwhile, enjoy looking through the Final 50.
PS I'll post the winners of the "Grill It" contest on Monday. We had just 83 entries for that contest, so we're going straight to the Top 10.
JOIN THE RAW DAWGS
Life and wildlife in Madagascar