In Selections of the current issue of Design New England, we asked designers Kim Deetjen, Phoebe Lovejoy Russell, and Valerie Jorgensen to use quintessential summer scenes as inspiration for furnishing dreamy getaway rooms — and the results radiated with summery goodness. It all got me to thinking what my picks for a sweet summer hideaway would be. Here are 10 that exude the season’s charm, but I am still counting.
1. For that kick start after a day on beach try an espresso from this streamline machine — Single Serve Espresso Maker in red, Nespresso CitiZ, $350; available at Bloomingdale’s.
2. Have fun with hydration and infuse water with delicious fruit flavor blends — Fruit Infusion Pitcher, Prodyne; available at Amazon.
3. Bring back the basics with a traditional game — Premium Set of Dominoes, Trademark Games, $12.95; available at Barnes & Noble.
4. Keep a light touch of sophistication with a new chair design suitable for formal, but relaxed, dining — Graves Dining Arm and Side Chair; McKinnon & Harris Inc.
5. Sturdy and stylishly simple, this table has all the basics for outdoor entertaining — Mistra Round Dining Table; Janus et Cie.
6. Gaze at the bright blues and whites of timeless Greece with aerial photography at its best — The Sites of Ancient Greece, $69.95; Phaidon.
7. Take that ubiquitous sea shell motif to uncommon design heights — 18th C. French Rocaille Clamshell Medium, $140; Restoration Hardware.
8. Ocean-inspired dinnerware in watery hues — Naxos Dinnerware, $3.95 – $7.95; CB2.
9. Unfold a cheery yellow chair for easy additional seating — Piana Folding Chair, designed by Sir David Chipperfield for Alessi/Lamm; Design Within Reach.
10. The finish recalls driftwood, the drawer pulls a harlequin’s eyes, all adding to the great shape and happy statement of this case piece — Klismos Chest; Global Views.