We’re dedicated to telling more stories online with engaging and compelling videos, and we need someone to help ensure a stable and beautiful experience for our users. We’re looking for a Video Web Developer to design, develop, and support video products for bostonglobe.com, boston.com, and the Digital Product team. You will collaborate with the video producers, editors of the newsroom, front end developers, and software engineers.
- Review and influence ongoing design, architecture, standards and methods for boston.com, bostonglobe.com, and the family of BGM online properties.
- Committed to continually mentoring others and learning through research of development tools and languages, actively participating in code reviews and solution demonstrations, investigating new design patterns, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Use Jira (Our issue & product tracking software) to document progress, code migrations and status on work assignments and communicates these updates during daily standups.
- On-call support for production critical applications.
- Provide complete technical documentation, code comments, and readable code that is properly stored in a version control system.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- An excellent understanding of software engineering best practices and an intense drive to learn how to improve our core products and services.
- Either MS in CS, CES,EE, or 5 years of related work experience.
- Knowledge of Unix, Flash, and Brightcove embedded video.
- Experience working with critical, large scale applications (several hundred thousand users).
- You know the difference between a container and a codec, and have strong opinions on the benefits/drawbacks of mp4, WebM, and Ogg.
Please reference the job title in the subject of your email.
About this company:
At Boston Globe Media (BGM), our mission is to change the news business. We are an aggressive, entrepreneurial-minded digital operation that is home to a number of highly-trafficked platforms like BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, BetaBoston.com and BDCWire.com.
And we are growing -- fast. With a foundation in leading-edge technology and data-driven product development, we’re building a team that is obsessed with innovation and change. Our goal is to launch more digital-first products that scale nationally and internationally. Joining this team is the choice to be at the start of something big, something scary, and -- we think -- something great.