Boston Globe Media Partners is going through a massive phase of growth, expansion, and innovation. One of our key initiatives is a new big data product that will touch on all facets of BGMP’s online offerings. We’re hiring a Lead Software Engineer to be the architect of that product and to guide a team of developers in creating it. This is not a position for the timid or weak of heart. It will be a massive, cutting-edge undertaking which has the potential to ultimately change the face of journalism. Safety not guaranteed.
The Lead Software Engineer for this new project will collaborate with business analysts, project managers, the editors of the newsroom, and every member of the BGMP IT staff. The Lead Engineer will be expected to mentor Software Engineers and perform the duties of a technical lead on projects.
- Builds and leads a team of experienced engineers and front end developers
- Reviews and influences ongoing design, architecture, standards, and methods for the Boston Globe, boston.com, and bostonglobe.com, and the family of BGMP online properties.
- Develops innovative media and business solutions through process engineering, collaborating with our customers to recommend changes in policies and procedures when appropriate,and delivering high quality software through a standardized software development life cycle.
- Committed to continually mentoring others and learning through research of development tools and languages, actively participating in code reviews and solution demonstrations, investigating new design patterns, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Uses Jira to document progress, code migrations and status on work assignments and communicates these updates during daily stand ups.
- On call support for production critical applications
- Provides complete technical documentation, code comments, and readable code that is properly stored in a version control system.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, HTML5, XML and XSL
- Intense cravings for concise, elegant code
- Deep knowledge of Unix
- Familiarity with the Methode CMS
- Experience working with critical, large scale applications (several hundred thousand users)
- Ability to multi-task and grow in a fast paced development environment
- Undaunted by code-reviewing 1000-line commits
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- A born leader, cool and collected, driven to save the future of investigative, long-form journalism for all of humanity
- Also pretty handy with regex
To apply, send us an email with your resume and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference the job title in the subject of your email.
About this company:
At Boston Globe Media (BGM), our mission is to change the news business. We are an aggressive, entrepreneurial-minded digital operation that is home to a number of highly-trafficked platforms like BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com, BetaBoston.com and BDCWire.com.
And we are growing -- fast. With a foundation in leading-edge technology and data-driven product development, we’re building a team that is obsessed with innovation and change. Our goal is to launch more digital-first products that scale nationally and internationally. Joining this team is the choice to be at the start of something big, something scary, and -- we think -- something great.