It may be a while before we see Yasiin Bey, the rapper-actor formerly known as Mos Def, perform in the United States.
The Brooklyn-born artist has reportedly canceled his upcoming tour after facing unspecified immigration problems, the Guardian reports.
The news comes after the Together Boston music festival recently posted on its website, “We regret to inform you that due to immigration / legal issues Yasiin Bey is unable to enter back into the United States and his upcoming U.S. tour has been canceled.”
Bey was previously scheduled to perform at the festival’s May 15 show at the Wilbur Theatre.
The 40-year-old Brooklyn-born rapper recently relocated to Cape Town, South Africa, choosing to live there full time after falling in love with the city.
“It was a hard thing to leave home, but I’m here,” Bey told Rolling Stone in March. “And I’m glad that I did it. I don’t think it’s any accident or coincidence that I’m here.”
An outspoken critic many of US policies, Bey made national headlines last July after volunteering to undergo a force-feeding treatment that is commonly used on detainees at the Guantanamo Bay prison.
“I really didn’t know what to expect,” Bey said in the video following the treatment. “I really couldn’t take it.”