'); //--> Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
The Boston Globe OnlineBoston.com Boston Globe Online / Archives

EASY PASS | PAST BIG DIG COVERAGE

State to reopen Big Dig deal with Bechtel/Parsons

By Raphael Lewis, Globe Staff, 02/13/2002

   
 THE SERIES

PART ONE
Bechtel's mistakes drive up cost overruns, and company profits.

Graphics
Bechtel's fee overruns
Map of major conflicts
History of the contract
Contract modifications
Cross section of roadway
Construction cost overruns


PART TWO
State officials overlook and excuse Bechtel's mistakes for a decade.

Graphic
Cost recoveries initiated


PART THREE
Powerfull allies help protect Bechtel and its bottom line.

 FOLLOW-UPS

This series has generated strong response from the state, the public, and Globe columnists.
More Globe coverage

 GLOBE DEFENSE OF SERIES

On Feb. 20, 2003, Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff issued a document disputing the findings of the "Easy Pass" series. Globe editor Martin Baron responded with a defense of the Globe's reporting.
Read Bechtel's statement
Read the Globe's statement

 PHOTO GALLERY

Building a reputation
Bechtel has never shied away from big construction projects, but worldwide achievements are accompanied by controversy.
See past Bechtel projects

 FROM THE ARCHIVES

2001
Review cites flaws at Big Dig
Cerasoli charges Big Dig coverup
$1.4b overrun known in '99
Firm rejects call to offset costs
'99 memos warned of tunnel leaks

2002
Officials disclose more defects
Lawsuit raises Big Dig questions
State to reopen deal with Bechtel
Big Dig hires quality manager
US knew of hidden expenses
Big Dig overrun just plain big
SEC probers to target Big Dig
Big Dig review to target overruns
Turnpike, firm set deal on leak cost

2003
Contracts to be reviewed

 RELATED LINKS

Central Artery/Tunnel Project
www.bigdig.com

Bechtel
www.bechtel.com

Parsons Brinckerhoff
www.pbworld.com

State Inspector General reports
On the history of the Central Artery/Tunnel project's finances:
www.state.ma.us/ig/publ/cat01ex.htm
On the Central Artery/Tunnel project's attempts to recover money for mistakes:
www.state.ma.us/ig/publ/catcrex.htm

About "Scheme Z" bridge design
libraries.mit.edu/rotch/artery/

State oversight of the Big Dig
www.state.ma.us/catocc/

Mass. Turnpike Authority
www.massturnpike.com

The Artery Business Committee
www.arterybusiness.com

 ONLINE CHAT

On February 11, 2003, Globe reporter Raphael Lewis chatted with Boston.com readers about the Bechtel series.
Transcript of chat

 CONTACT THE GLOBE

Any tips? Let us know.
Phone: 617-929-3379
E-mail: bigdigtips@globe.com

 MORE BOSTON.COM COVERAGE


Beyond the Big Dig   What happens to the ribbon of land being created by the depression of the Central Artery? A joint effort between The Boston Globe, MIT, and WCVB-TV explores.
A special report


Progress updates on the Big Dig. Info
 


top executive of the much-criticized management consultant of the Big Dig, Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff, agreed yesterday to renegotiate the company's deal with the state, after the project's new CEO said he was not "a happy client."

"I told them . . . that we have to straighten some things out," said Matthew Amorello, appointed last week by Acting Governor Jane Swift to oversee the $14.5 billion Central Artery project and the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority. "They decided it was in their best interests to come back to the table."

Bechtel's promise to return to the table on Feb. 26 is significant because political turmoil at the Turnpike Authority had thrown into question negotiating gains made last fall by board members Jordan Levy and Christy Mihos, before Swift suspended the two, ostensibly for delaying a toll increase.

Levy and Mihos last sat down with Bechtel/Parsons on Oct. 9, but the pair were simultaneously battling Swift, who insisted that their plan to delay a toll increase would be disastrous to the Turnpike Authority.

They voted to delay the toll hike on Oct. 30, and were suspended Nov. 16. Mihos and Levy have said that they were suspended because they got "too close" to uncovering alleged problems with Bechtel/Parsons's oversight role, a charge the acting governor has denied.

At that time, Bechtel/Parsons said it would give $50 million of its estimated $120 million in profit back to the state if the project's cost increases again, but only if the joint venture could take more control of the project. Joint venture officials have said that offer still stands.

Peter Pendergast, the authority's general counsel, said Levy and Mihos had been demanding a return of $250 million, as well as the waiving by Bechtel/Parsons of its $100 million cap on liability. An offer of $50 million, he said yesterday, "would not be acceptable."

"Whatever they owe us, it's far more than that," Pendergast said, citing the state's concerns regarding alleged flaws in management, quality control, and design.

Amorello declined to cite specific reasons why he is unhappy with Bechtel/Parsons's performance, saying instead, "There are a number of issues we need to resolve to get back on track, nothing I'm going to talk about until the end of the negotiations."

Amorello refused to classify his success at getting the joint venture back to the bargaining table as a victory, however. "The victory will be at the end of the negotiating sessions," he said.

This story ran on page B2 in the Metro/Region section of the Boston Globe on 02/13/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


 Search the Globe
 Search for:  
Today Yesterday Past month Past year   Advanced Search

© Copyright 2003 New York Times Company
| Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy |