Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on the priest sexual abuse scandal

The priest sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church has been unfolding for 3 months now, not just locally, but also nationally and overseas. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what steps the church should take to address the problem. What can rank-and-file Catholics do? How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

Page 23

I think the church should allow Priests to get marry. This would stop some of the sexual scandal in the Catholic Church.

Angela Moore, Boston, Mass

Cardinal Law should resign and should be indicted for aiding and abetting criminal behavior resulting in long term harm to children and obstruction of justice.

mld, brookline

As a clinical neuropsychologist and practicing Catholic, I have a range of emotions from shock to anger about the developments in Boston. I was born and raised in New Bedford. I learned yesterday that an elementary school friend's brother needed to resign from the City Council due to flashbacks of abuse at the hands of James Porter. Cardinal Law must step down. The re-traumatizing of victims due to sececy and lies must stop. Bishops Daly, Banks, and McCormack and all accomplices must step down. They must also be held accountable for possible crinimal conspiracy. The Church desparately needs reform since this appears to be a systemic failure of governance and supervision. Nothing short of a sharing with the laity of the power to screen and appointment of priests and bishops will restore the moral authority of the Church worldwide. Congratulations or the Boston media on their faithful reporting of this story. NO MORE SECRETS! NO MORE LIES!

Michael A. Nicholas Ph.D., Paducah, KY

Give lay people the power to remove Priests with a majority vote. Cardnial BF Law must be fired, and not allowed to work in the Catholic Church.

Matt Dugan, Cambridge

It's very simple. Locally, Cardinal Law must step down. Can people forgive? Of course. But they won't forget. So, he's got to go. Overall, the Church (and the Vatican) need to rethink the policies of the past. The Church needs to be updated to modern times. Their stances on issues, such as celibacy, should be revisited. Having said that, pedophilia is a crime and should never be tolerated at any level. No parish or diocese should shelter or harbor pedophiles. Harboring a criminal is a felony and punishable by law. The same rules should apply to religious leaders. I am also concerned with the probablilty that many of these so-called victims see an opportunity for financial gain, and are submitting bogus claims to the church with the hope of a cash settlement. That's sleazy as well.

Christopher, Boston, MA

How come the Archdiocese of Boston is not taking the calls for Cardinal Laws resignation seriously? It is such an obvious and necessary action to take so the Archdiocese can begin the healing. It is apparent to me that there is zero confidence in Law. What is the delay? Need we start a petition? A boycott of Sunday masses to be heard?

David M, Wellesley

Rank and file Catholics should do as any dissatisfied stakeholder should do when an organization repeatedly ignores its mistakes, that is, leave the Church. That is the only way the Church will take the steps that are necessary to break up the "ol' boys' network" that makes the soil fertile for its arrogance. When the revenue streams dry, the Church will act to make the necessary changes, including getting rid of its celibacy requirement. While this will not solve all the problems that are afflicting the Church, one cannot ignore that an important dose of diversity in the Church leadership would be an important step in returning to Church to its people.

Joe Gydus, Bedford

Obviously, the Catholic Church should adopt a no-nonsense policy towards dealing with sexually abusive priests. Priests who have sexually abused people should be defrocked, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Regardless of any "treatment" they may receive, such individuals can no longer be trusted to keep their impulses in check.

Ken Burke, West Hartford, CT

I think there must be change on two different levels. First, the catholic religion must go back to it's roots. When the religion was formed 2,000 years ago, it was family oriented. Priests were married with families. These families were the religion. The religion must allow priests to marry and have families. It should allow women to become priests. Secondly, for a person to enter the priesthood, they should have to undergo psychological evaluations, training and background checks.

Catholic Girl, Lowell

My question is not whether or not Cardinal Law should resign but why is he not being prosecuted. I have read statements to the effect that he has been trying to protect the Church from scandal, what about the children? My opinion is that he allowed these children to be molested. As a person he should be ashamed, never mind as a leader of the Catholic Church. Why is he being protected? THis is not a separation of church and state this is a crime! He should be in jail along with all his fellow priests.

Mary , Rockland

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy