Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on the priest sexual abuse scandal

The priest sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church has been unfolding for 3 months now, not just locally, but also nationally and overseas. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what steps the church should take to address the problem. What can rank-and-file Catholics do? How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

Page 28

The church must allow the lay people to assume decision making roles. Obeying without consent or understanding needs to be part of our history ... but no longer our future.

Barbara Sullivan, Woburn, MA

I think it is time for the good old boys club to disband..We need new blood in the church and some rule changing...A few women wouldn't hurt either...I don't see anything about women sexually abusing children..maybe we should rule the church for a few hundred years...Give it up Cardinal Law.

Mary , Hull

Deal with it - Get through the pain- the church is a medieval institution in a 21st century democracy. What has happened boils down to a lack of accountability on the part of the hierarchy.

Jim, Manchester,NH

Cardinal Law should step down. Catholics should withhold any donations not directly targeted for their local parish functions. There will be no regaining the trust of Catholics until sweeping changes in policy, (married clergy, birth control, women as priests, divorce,to name a few), are made at the highest level. These changes won't come under the present leadership in Rome. They may not come under the suceeding leadership either. But if changes are not forthcoming, I fear the Church may not survive as a viable religion.

Anne, Ashland

Remove Cardinal Law immediately. The Pope should outline the plan of action that will be taken to clean up the issues including removing all Priests accused of criminal actions and consider allowing priests to marry therefore appealing to a more broader base of people for possible priesthood. The fact that NOTHING is being done is creating an atmosphere of doubt about the ENTIRE Catholic church. Part of the plan should also include studying the background of any priest before they are ordained. Rank and file Catholics can stop giving money to the church. The lack of monetary support will make something happen. Unfortunately, even in the church, money talks. If NO money was being given to the church, you can bet your butt something would get done about it. Instead, parishioners are contiuing to go to mass and give their support hoping that this will all be resolved quickly. That is not happening. Stop giving any money (as some of it is going to pay off victims anyway, which sickens me) and the Church will start doing something to fix the horrendous and criminal problems going on in the church today.

KC, Needham

Obviously the Pope can't think for himself because if he could he would have done something about Cardnal Law. I think Cardnal Law should step down and the Pope should also!

Confidential, Cambridige

They should be arrested--like anyone else--and tried--and sentenced. Childhood abuse produces sick people who create more societal sickness and pain than anything else. Childhood abuse is the root of all bad stuff. I cannot convey how strongly I feel that they should be convicted--and treated accordingly.

Joan Wilder, Hull, Mass

I think the Church itself should be held criminally responsible for what it allow to happen for years. Close the entire hipocritical organization that preys on peoples fears and then preys on their children down.!!!

steve, revere

I strongly feel that cardinal Law should resign. As a catholic, I have lost trust and respect toward him and feel bitter toward him and what the church has done to cover up. The catholic church needs to take a step back and think thoroughly on the future of the church. Priests should be allowed to get married. Obviously, not allowing them is causing more problems and distractions. I feel a married priest would do a better job devoting himself to the church's causes than one that is single and going behind everyone's back exploring children. That's sick and unacceptable!

Liz Swenson, Braintree

I think it is time for the Roman Catholic Church to call for Vatican III and put everything on the table, including the doctrine of infallibility. For too long now, the Church has kept its head in the sand, unable to reasonbly defend positions taken long ago because it is so boxed in by that doctrine announced in 1870. The Church must become more relevant to the young and not remain so stagnent.

Kevin L. Carroll, Chester CT

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy