Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on the priest sexual abuse scandal

The priest sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church has been unfolding for 3 months now, not just locally, but also nationally and overseas. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what steps the church should take to address the problem. What can rank-and-file Catholics do? How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

Page 30

Please remember these doings are the fault of men that work in the church. This has nothing to do with the institution of the Catholic Church created by the word of God.

Sean, S. Boston

All of the leadership which has stood by and done nothing to protect children because they needed to protect some Church image. All the while they are chasing down Catholics to get us all to think correctly on minor issues of theology. I guess that is what you do when there is a sickness at the core.

Tom Mc Laughlin, Chicago

My catholic upbringing taught me to be respectful, righteous, god-fearing, and to "do as Jesus would have done". The fact that Cardinal Law and other clerics live by a different set of rules is disturbing. How can I entrust the catholic church to my 1 yr old son?

Chris, Boston

I think that it is great that they are cleaning house. These sick individuals infiltrate our church (the devil at his best)and try destroy everything that Jesus stands for. I feel very bad for everyone who has been hurt by these sick individuals and who ever covered up for them should be removed. We need to start fresh and continue praising Jesus.

Frances Ursino, Stoneham Ma

In the past 20-30 years the church has felt increasing pressure to fill its ranks of priests. Fewer candidates stepped forth and many left the priesthood leaving increasing shortages. WHile we hear a lot about "psychological testing etc" to vet the candidates it has become clear that the personnel pressures led many dioceses to accept for ordination some people with glaring weaknesses. In addition the sexual tensions arising from the celibacy requirement curtailed the number of priests and at the same time seemed to offer a welcoming environment to sexually underdeveloped personalities and homosexuals. What we are left with is a priesthood increasingly populated by a troubled group of men - the outgropwth in these unfortunate incidents is not surprising - it is more surprising that they remained unknown for so long. The corporate structures of the church with their paid PR people and "image-conscious" hierarchy hid all of this from us for many years as they climbed the ladder to bishop's jobs and wealthy parishes . . . It is time for the people of the church to exercise control - these corporate creatures we have in the hierarchy must go - required celibacy must go, women priests must be accepted - This is all very possible - simply hold onto the $$$ or do what Martin Luther did several hundred years ago - get out of this moribund structure and join or found a real worshipping community.

Mike McCurry, New York, NY

Hello, Hooray for the Boston Globe’s courage, your editorial policy picks up where de Sade left off. What should be done with these deviant perpetrators and their protectors? Frankly they should be all charged with criminal acts. Protecting them is socially irresponsible. The Catholic Church, the Vatican, is one of the wealthiest organizations on earth. They must be held criminally and financially accountable for their crimes against humanity. Thanks for the good work on behalf of least among us. Best regards, Linda WS, Toronto

LindaWS, Toronto

Dioceses across the country must come clean with all the information regarding abuse, past and present immediately. I think the idea of a lay board running the diocese, much like at many Catholic universities, might also be a positive step. All church's should have open forums for parishoners to discuss the crisis and I think an effort to include victims who can share their experiece should also be part of this.

Jamie, Boston

Justice for the victims of abuse by priests and Cardinal Law and maybe the church will regain the trust of it's faithful once again.

Sharon, Wakefield

The priests are hypocryts and liars. I no longer consider myself a Catholic. Law should be thrown in a jail cell.

savard, lowell MA

Law should want to step down himself, it's very pathetic that he is so self-involved that he has no desire to do what should be done for parishioners and himself. I agree that he should dedicate the rest of his life and work to righting this wrong, reforming the grossly hierarchical and flaed Church system of leadership and governance, and to atone for his sins against the individual victims. He should want to on his own, it's even more sad that there has to be a campaign to force him out, but that is already where it has gone.

nick, scituate

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy