Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on the priest sexual abuse scandal

The priest sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church has been unfolding for 3 months now, not just locally, but also nationally and overseas. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what steps the church should take to address the problem. What can rank-and-file Catholics do? How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

Page 34

1. Keep Law in place for a while longer. Allow the heat to build. Allow His Most High and Holy Eminence to share the "spotlight" with Shanley. Geoghan had his day in the sun. Now it is Shanley's turn. Let Law share the eminence of the noon-tide blast of sunlight. 2. Rank and file RC's should stop the denials about their church leaders. It looks like former Mayor Flynn is cooling his intransigent defenses of Law. He appeared to cool his heels on Koppel's Nightline last night. It's about time. His obsequious obeisance has compromised his independence and credibility. The evidence overwhelmed old Flynn I guess. 3. Rank and file RC's should insist publicly that Law submit to depositions and interrogatories. He skillfully evaded that one in the Geoghan scandal. Garabedian settled far too early. He let a rat get off a sinking ship. Law knows a lot more. But we think that day of depositional reckoning is not far off, e.g. Carney v. Law/Archdiocese. We shall see. It appears that that case will be tougher and will involved Monsignor Ryan. This is not over. Phil

Phil Veitch, Jacksonville, NC

Face it. The Catholic church has been the cause of profound suffering throughout the ages. The Church has been founded on greed, power, ignorance and hatred. Just imagine the hypocracy: people confessed their sins to these sick twisted men! They should all rot in hell and I am sure they will. Anyone who can still call themselves a Catholic without thinking critically about what the instiution represents should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

ex catholic, Boston

First, Cardinal Law should, at the least, resign. He should be held accountable for the crimes committed by Priests who were known to him to be pedofiles. He is an accessory to each and every one of those crimes. Second, there should be much stricter background checks and monitoring of the men who are entering into the priesthood. How did all these pedofiles get through their training to actually become priests in the first place? Third, the church should drop the rule that forbids priests to marry. This would open the door for many devout men who would serve God. Fourth, the Catholic church needs to stop pleading poverty and get the Vatican to open up it's coffers. It is one of the wealthiest nations in the world and should start funneling some of that wealth down to its parishners.

Suzanne VanRandwyk, North Grafton

Face it. The Catholic church has been the cause of profound suffering throughout the ages. The Church has been founded on greed, power, ignorance and hatred. Just imagine the hypocracy: people confessed their sins to these sick twisted men! They should all rot in hell and I am sure they will. Anyone who can still call themselves a Catholic without thinking critically about what the instiution represents should be ashamed of themselves!!!!

ex catholic, Boston

Law MUST step down.

Dan, Charlestown

If a person in a higher rank in a community or business breaks the law - they usually lose that job. If someone is accused of sexual misconuct at a business they are suspended with an investigation to follow - immediately. Why doesn't the Catholic Church do this?

Ken Lynch, Tampa, FL

I am a catholic in recovery....I think the church has suffered at the hands of priests for years. The nuns were also guilty of abuse. I have known for yearst hat the Cardinal was paying guys to keep their mouths shut. I once gave a very large sum of money to St Vincents De Paul Society and when I got the check back it was deposited into The Cardinal Appeal Fund. I questioned the pastor and he said it was an innocent mistake and that he would handle it. It was not a mistake it was in my estimation a way to continue to fund the legal funds for the church. Shame on Cardinal Law.....MISTAKE???? Over and over again is not a mistake it is a coverup. It is criminal what he has allowed. Not only do I think he should step down I sincrely hope that Tom Rielly has the guts to file criminal charges against him. He is guilty of ruining hundreds of lives and God only knows how many boys took their own lives. Today I know of several victims that are in recovery for drugs and alcohol.

Peggy, Franklin

Vote in the collection basket. I'm not from the Boston area, but this whole situation concerns me greatly. It occurs to me that probably the most effective way that lay people can register their opinions and outrage would be to go to church, worship as always, but to replace their contribution in the collection with a note (anonymous or not) that they are witholding their financial support of the church/diocese until Cardinal Law resigns and a system is in place that guarantees that the welfare and safety of children comes before that of clergy members. Save the money you would be contributing, and donate it only after the situation is resolved in a lasting and meaningful way.

James Bryan, Mechanicville, NY

I truly believe it's the beginning of the end for the Catholic church. These cover-ups have been going on for centuries, but no one would speak up for various reasons. Some may have believed God was punishing them for their sins, others may have been in denial, preferring to make themselves believe that a man of God was incapable of committing such grievous sins. It's past time that people realize being a (or woman) of the cloth does not automatically make a person superhuman OR above the law. How can the church regain trust? I'm not entirely sure it's possible.

Anonymous Reader, Maynard, MA

You ask: "How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful? " The laity should have equal say in running the church. I'm no longer Catholic, but my one complaint was always that the institutional church does not reflect the teachings of Christ. The institution as is known should go, and priests should discard their cushy lives and live as Christ did since they preach that message. Christ didn't don fancy clothes, drive fancy cars, live in fancy houses, eat rich foods, cater to the wealthy and be catered to by the wealthy, etc., etc. The self-styled hierarchy should get off its high horse and get in touch with the laity. The Church (made up of the laity and its duly elected leaders) should at least give priests the option of marriage and not place the burden of celibacy on all who wish to serve God in the priesthood.

Elizabeth Paquette de la Vallee, Cincinnati, Ohio

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy