Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on the priest sexual abuse scandal

The priest sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church has been unfolding for 3 months now, not just locally, but also nationally and overseas. We'd like to hear your thoughts on what steps the church should take to address the problem. What can rank-and-file Catholics do? How can church officials regain the trust of the faithful?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

Page 9

I was reading your comments from your viewers regarding Cardinal Law and whether he should resign or not and wanted to send along my thoughts as well. One of the 10 Commanments is "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife". We need an 11th: "Thou shalt not covet they neighbor's child".

Christina L. Niland, Wakefield, MA

The Boston Archdiocese should be prosectuted to the fullest extent of the law for their conspiracy and complacency of the sexual abuse of children. The state should supoena church records. The Catholic church is not above the law. It is not their right to handle criminals within the church in their own inept way. They and the Cardinal should be locked up, just like any other child molester.

joyce Basil, des plaines il

I don't think the Cardinal or the accused priests should receive any special treatment. They've committed crimes; they should stand trial and be punished. They should use their own finances as well. I'm disgusted that they feel they're so high above people while preaching then all this comes out!! I also feel that the Catholic religion as a whole should rethink its policies.

Elizabeth M, Somerville, MA

Yes Cardinal Law should step down. As a parent of an 8 yo boy I'm appalled at the lack of respect shown the flock of the church . I have reservations about my son receiving his First Communion. We in the NY area are going through the same crisis. Inever thought I would see the day when I would look at a priest and think "Is he a pedophile?" As a former altar boy I always wanted my son to become one. Not anymore!

Jim Ryan, Bayonne, NJ /formally Mission Hill

FIRST I THINK THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH NEEDS TO RETHINK THERE POLICY ON MARRIAGE PRIEST ARE NOT IN HUMAN BUT ARE LIVING BEENS THAT NEED MATES AS THE BIBLE FOR STATES.AND MAY BE JUST MAY BE LAW HAS BEEN ABUSED OR IS A ABUSER IS THAT WHY HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO HELP THESE POOR CHILDREN. AND OUR FAITH SHOULD NOT BE IN HIM OR MAN BUT IN GOD.SO DON'T GIVE UP ON GOD OR THE CHURCH BUT IT'S HOW YOU HAVE IN LEADER SHIP SO MANY PEOPLE ARE BEING FOOLED BY ALL THESE FAITHS THAT ARE OUT HERE SEEK GOD FOR THE TRUETH NOT WHAT SOME ONE TELLS YOU BUT SEEK HIM FOR YOUR SELF THEN LET HIM GIUDE YOU THE TRUE CHURCH

GLORIA PORTER, BOSTON

I feel sorry for Cardinal Law. Obviously he was in a job over his head. He should retire. There is a need for new blood in the church, from the Pope on down. So many other bishops are in over their heads. I guess that's what happens when you have a limited pool from which to select leaders. There is a need to enlarge the pool by allowing married priests.

Jim, Washington DC

First, Cardinal Law should resign. Even if his intentions were not to put children in harm's way, the faith of what remains of Catholic followers is shaken, they need to see that action's being taken. Second, while there are many wonderful priests today, its clear that the Catholic priesthood has become a sort of haven for men who feel guilt for or want to hide their own deviant behavior, specifically pedophilia. Allowing for married life in the priesthood would at least increase the the number of socially responsible, non-deviant candidates.

Kelly, Chelsea

The church should continue to bring forth documentation regarding their past dealings in this matter. Their candidness during upcoming legal confrontation is of utmost importance if they are to ever regain credibility. The church should also redefine their ministry and bring women into the folds of the upper echelon of their hierarchy in order that ideas are not restricted in focus in matters of judgment. Also, this would combat any efforts to deliberately delineate matters in a self-serving manner. Power corrupts and LAW is the perfect example of its arrogance. Rank and file members of the Catholic Church should try to rise above their anger and support their church community by forming an action committee to address these issues with their church and discuss reform. The church leaders should use this as an opportunity to involve their congregation in some of the procedural solutions to problems that impact their members. This prospect for building trust should begin now.

Joyce, Woburn

The church should continue to bring forth documentation regarding their past dealings in this matter. Their candidness during upcoming legal confrontation is of utmost importance if they are to ever regain credibility. The church should also redefine their ministry and bring women into the folds of the upper echelon of their hierarchy in order that ideas are not restricted in focus in matters of judgment. Also, this would combat any efforts to deliberately delineate matters in a self-serving manner. Power corrupts and LAW is the perfect example of its arrogance. Rank and file members of the Catholic Church should try to rise above their anger and support their church community by forming an action committee to address these issues with their church and discuss reform. The church leaders should use this as an opportunity to involve their congregation in some of the procedural solutions to problems that impact their members. This prospect for building trust should begin now.

Joyce, Woburn

It troubles me deeply that the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church both knew and allowed to continue the serial molestation of all these children. I believe that Cardinal Law should personally take responsibility and step down as the head of the Boston archdiocese. He no longer has any hope of being part of the solution.

Mark, Halifax

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy