Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
Globe coverage of the scandal has been divided into nine categories:

MESSAGE BOARD / Dec. 5, 2002

In recent weeks, a contrite Cardinal Bernard Law has made emotional apologies for his handling of abusive priests and met with members of a lay Catholic group he had previously shunned. But archdiocesan personnel files released this week have exposed glaring new instances of church negligence and provided more evidence that Law knew of abuse allegations against priests who were allowed to remain on active church duty for years. Facing an estimated 450 abuse claims, the archdiocese may declare bankruptcy. In light of this week's revelations, what are your feelings on the church crisis? Has Law lost the moral authority to lead the archdiocese? Where must Boston Catholics look for leadership? And what should be done to address the church's financial crisis?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

Page 1

ENOUGH already, we've heard enough of this story already. MOVE ON !! We all know that there was definite wrong done by the priests and the cardinal, do we need to be reminded on a daily basis. Yes, we all feel bad for those affected by these horrible incidents but when will this end? Yes the cardinal should step down but will that really solve this issue. Sorry but move on and onto a new religion. There are plenty of other good religions out there, Baptist, Congregationalist, Lutheran, pick one and move on.

G, Boston

At this point, I can only conclude that Mr Law (I can't even call him 'Cardinal') must not believe in God. No one who believes they will have to face God someday could possibly allow children to be molested over and over again. What other possible explanation could there be? Well, one other - that he is a molester himself. Those are the only two I can come up with.

Jane , Cumberland RI

At least 4 decades of sexual abuse. Intimidating victims. Concealing documents. Promoting, transferring, and even providing stipends to predator priests. Playing the blame game by pointing the finger at gays as the cause of sexual predation in the priesthood. And the total lack of moral authority, leadership, and protection of the church's flock. For this and much more, the cardinal must resign. It's that simple.

Rich, Jamaica Plain

Lock up Law and all the other members of the hierarchy who conspired to coverup sex crimes against children and adults. Lock 'em all up as soon as possible. Stop the societal deference to these criminals who hide behind their organized religion. They are no different than the terrorists that the US is fighting. They have created a culture of hypocrisy and terror and inflicted harm on generations of Catholics who knew no better and who believed the fantasy of eternal damnation to hell of they steped out of line or asked reasonable questions or asked the church leaders for help in stopping the sex crimes.

MJ , South Boston

Cardinal Law sees his retirement in the near future and is only concerned with protecting his power until such time. I went to school at St Andrews where Fr Geoghan was. I am not a lawyer, but I still have not heard a clear explanation of why Cardinal Law has not been indicted!!

John , Hyde Park

I don't know what the hell he is/was thinking. Does Cardinal Law think that it's OK for a "Priest" to do these things. Does he think they get special treatment because they are "Priests". If it were you or I we would be in jail now. I am just so disgusted with all of this. Law needs to step down IMMEDIATELY. As far as the financial crisis goes, it's the church's own fault. I wouldn't give another penny to the archdiocese. They enough holdings around the world to sell let them sell it.

AnnMarie , Framingham, MA

Arrogance rules! Everyday that he stays in office is more of an embarrassment for the Church. Why do so many non-Catholics see what we don't? He should resign today.

Dennis, Westboro

Why is it that the Globe is so focused on Cardinal Law and pays no attention to Judge Lopez and the terrible injustice she did to that boy who was attacked? There have been no articles about the hearing by the Justice System on Lopez. Are the articles in the printed page but just not the internet web site? I thought an option for Law was to tap into that $20,000 charitable contribution law? He should tap into that, pay off the people, apologize to them, and get this behind us. We're tired of hearing about it.

Tommy , Cambridge

To be brutally honest, each day I get more sick watching the coverage of the problems of the Catholic Church. To allow priests to do what they have done and get away with it is some of the worst crimes I have ever heard of. Molesting children to me is a horrible crime, getting away with it, even worse. As a Catholic, I can not believe this is happening in my church. We have to all act now and get rid of Cardinal Law. He is a disgrace to our religion. As he allowed the priests to molest and molest, do you think he really cared about the innocent victims?? Why isn't the goverment prosecuting these priests? I am a Catholic because I enjoy the religion, it does not mean I enjoy the current people who run it. Please Cardinal Law, step down and let that be the first step of making our church the way it should be. Stop letting your ego get in the way and do the right thing. Remember, you are supposed to be representing the people, think of what God thinks of you!

Brian S, Stoughton

I grew up in Newburyport, Ma. Worked as an alter boy and worked in the rectory for 3 years. I know this sort of stuff happened years ago just by stories heard inside the rectory alone by priests and other members of the church. I have a hard time even considering myself a catholic any longer. HERES TO LIVING YOUR LIFE BY ONE WORD "KARMA"

MH, Haverhill

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy