Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
Globe coverage of the scandal has been divided into nine categories:

MESSAGE BOARD / Dec. 5, 2002

In recent weeks, a contrite Cardinal Bernard Law has made emotional apologies for his handling of abusive priests and met with members of a lay Catholic group he had previously shunned. But archdiocesan personnel files released this week have exposed glaring new instances of church negligence and provided more evidence that Law knew of abuse allegations against priests who were allowed to remain on active church duty for years. Facing an estimated 450 abuse claims, the archdiocese may declare bankruptcy. In light of this week's revelations, what are your feelings on the church crisis? Has Law lost the moral authority to lead the archdiocese? Where must Boston Catholics look for leadership? And what should be done to address the church's financial crisis?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

Page 3

What more could Cardinal law do to alienate catholics. He needs to step down NOW.

Pete, Andover

Cardinal Law belongs in prison. End of story.

Brian, Dedham

I can't understand why Cardinal Law hasn't been arrested and charged as a accessory after the fact and an accomplice to the sexual abuse of a minor. It's beyond a disgrace what has happened to the Church, and the damage he personally has done. Of course he should go!

Jennifer, Roslindale

I think they need tough background checks and they should be able to get married. It's not a problem if they are gay, it's a problem if they are a predator to children.

P.Terry, Weymouth

To G. in Boston: To where do you suggest we "move on?" This is exactly the the basis of the entire problem. Shuffled under the rug by the Catholic church to be (hopefully) forgotten and moving on. No, G., the problem must be addressed and resolved and if it makes certain persons uncomfortable, so be it. The Catholic church has been around for centuries. It isn't about to disappear while we "move on."

David, Boston

The Cardinal had full knowledge of the abuse by the priests under his control. This man should be removed immediately. He is just as responsible for the abuse over the years as the priests themselves by protecting and reassigning them to different parishes. What did the priests promise to never do it again and he believed them. This is garbage

Shwn, Haverhill

This is an e-mail I sent to Bishop T. O'Brien of the Diocese of Phoenix, AZ. My sentiments apply to Law as well. FOR BISHOP O'BRIEN, As I life-long Catholic, born and raised in Boston, a graduate of Boston College, and an 18-year resident of the the Phoenix diocese, I am appalled at the latest revelations of corruption and moral turpitude within your office. You speak through a hired PR spinner (Manning) and the best you can say about the Kulina case is; "I don't remember", "There are no records", and "I wasn't the Bishop then". What contemptible, spineless whining! And then you assail the County Attorney and the local news outlets in a classic example of trying to shoot the messenger. I bet you're wetting your pants at the thought of what Giandelone will say when he gets back to Phoenix! You can't shepherd a flock properly. The least you could do is be a man and shoulder some personal responsibility. You've already lost any credibility you might have had, its time for you and the rest of the corrupt American hierarchy to make it official and hand in your resignations. The Church will never get past this indelible stain while you Moral Midgets continue with the facade that you are our spiritual and moral leaders. Law, O'Brien, Mahoney, and all the Vatican Machiavellis, a pox on all your houses!

John J. L., Phoenix, AZ

WHY IS THE CARDINAL NOT IN JAIL ???/

bob p, west roxbury

fieldwrap@boston.com 12/05/2002 01:39 PM

John, Arlington

The policies that led to this disastrous scandal go beyond Cardinal Law, the problem exist in the institution itself. As this has unfolded it is in no way been isolated to the Boston Dioceses. The suggestion that the solution is to simple remove Cardinal Law is far to shortsighted and will not accomplish anything in the long run. It is my estimation that while his activities boarder on criminal they were the directive of the Church and not his own decisions. If we want to make a positive change we must change the institution itself.

A.J. , Boston

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy