Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
Globe coverage of the scandal has been divided into nine categories:

MESSAGE BOARD / Dec. 5, 2002

In recent weeks, a contrite Cardinal Bernard Law has made emotional apologies for his handling of abusive priests and met with members of a lay Catholic group he had previously shunned. But archdiocesan personnel files released this week have exposed glaring new instances of church negligence and provided more evidence that Law knew of abuse allegations against priests who were allowed to remain on active church duty for years. Facing an estimated 450 abuse claims, the archdiocese may declare bankruptcy. In light of this week's revelations, what are your feelings on the church crisis? Has Law lost the moral authority to lead the archdiocese? Where must Boston Catholics look for leadership? And what should be done to address the church's financial crisis?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

Page 34

Mr. Law, the priests who broke moral and legal laws AND the the authorities of this "Christian" organization we call the Catholic Church are CRIMINALS. Not only will they face God and be judged...(just wait), but they should be seen in the eyes of a global community for what they are: crooked and corrupt BUSINESS MEN. It is time to look at the organization and its motives for what they truely are: a business driven by money and power! And for all of you who write in asking for the papers to give up an old story...I hope you see my request to the press... PRINT IT IN THE PAPERS EVERYDAY UNTILL THE WORLD REALIZES WHAT A SHAM THESE MEN AND THE CHURCH THEY CREATED (FOR THEIR OWN HONOR) ARE!!! PS: Blessings to true Christian Catholics who maintain their faith and relationship with God despite the corruption and trials of the organization.

JC, Nbpt

Cardinal Law should step down as the leader of the Boston Archdiocese and as a so called servant of God. He is a disgrace to not only the Catholic Church, but to humans in general. His actions are just as disgusting as the priests. He should be in jail.

joe , revere

ONLY FASTING AND PRAYER, WILL DRIVE OUT THOSE WHO NEED TO STEP DOWN, THE LORD HAS RAISE UP AN ARMY OF PRAYERWARRIORS,TO ALL CATHOLIC PRAYER FASTING AND THE ROSARY WILL WIN THIS BATTLE. I DO BELEVE THE LORD IS CLEANING HIS HOUSE.... THE GATES OF HELL WILL NOT PREVEIL............. WE WILL SEE THE VICTORY... AGAIN FASTING AND PRAYER, AND OUR DEAR LADY ROSARY....................... SAM.

SAMUEL M. PICA, TRENTON

A scam, made even worse by these morons who run it. Hope the folks who used to lap this crap up have their eyes open now. Save your money.

jo

Law is going to burn in hell so he'll get his someday. why dont the catholics of Ma. just boycott masses until he leaves..

joe , revere

Cardinal Law on his best day more egregious than Richard Nixon on his worst day. At least Nixon had the sense to resign!

Disgusted, Westborough

With the revelations of this past week, I feel that the church crisis has reached its peak. The debauchery is so pervasive that Cardinal Law has lost the moral authority to lead the archiocese. Boston Catholics should look to the Pope for leadership. Cardinal Law should step down or be removed by the Pope, who should name a new or interim cardinal to serve. To address its financial woes, the church should declare bankruptcy.

Arline , Melrose

Cardinal Law must GO. If the Catholic church is to ever serve God again it must open itself to review from the laity. The cult of secrecy must end. Let it start with the firing of Cardinal Law.

Jim , Ankeny IA

I grew up in a devout Catholic household and practiced my religion faithfully for many years. Life’s circumstances and the Catholic Church’s laws forced me to sever my relationship with the church. Even after I was no longer a practicing Catholic, I always thought highly of those who had been called to the church to do the work of God. Needless to say, these past years of scandal have disappointed and shocked me. I never thought I would see a day that I would totally disrespect those I once so admired. Cardinal Law should step down from his seat with his head hung low. His staying in power only perpetuates the problems the church is now facing. If the Catholic Church really wants to start healing they have to get rid of the person who virtually handed the villain the gun. Today, I work in an environment that sometimes deals with children who have been victims of sexual abuse. Believe me, it is a long journey to wellness for these victims and in some instances wellness is never fully achieved. Cardinal Law’s threat to declare the richest Church in the world bankrupt is preposterous and despicable. As a representative of God on earth Cardinal Law has failed and should have the good sense and moral obligation to step down. He should think first of all the people he has harmed with his bad decision making and cover up tactics. He should think of the many thousands of good priests who have kept their vows and are still doing the work of God. If he were really thinking in the best interest of the Church he would have stepped down long ago. Finally, in any other profession, a person who allowed this kind of child abuse to continue would be in jail. Nancy Keenan Power, Middleboro

Nancy , Middleboro, Massachusetts

I would ask Cardinal Law 2 questions. How do you sleep at night? and What do you think your place in heaven/hell will be for all ETERNITY?

Bob, anytown

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy