Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
Globe coverage of the scandal has been divided into nine categories:

MESSAGE BOARD / Dec. 5, 2002

In recent weeks, a contrite Cardinal Bernard Law has made emotional apologies for his handling of abusive priests and met with members of a lay Catholic group he had previously shunned. But archdiocesan personnel files released this week have exposed glaring new instances of church negligence and provided more evidence that Law knew of abuse allegations against priests who were allowed to remain on active church duty for years. Facing an estimated 450 abuse claims, the archdiocese may declare bankruptcy. In light of this week's revelations, what are your feelings on the church crisis? Has Law lost the moral authority to lead the archdiocese? Where must Boston Catholics look for leadership? And what should be done to address the church's financial crisis?

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

Page 35

Like many other Catholics, I am bitter! The Vatican is the biggest culprit in all this horrendous saga unfolding everyday. Why on earth does the Vatican fail to discipline a wayward 'Cardinal' Law and other offenders? Are the hundreds of the predatory pedophiles/priests including 'Cardinal' Law not accountable to the Vatican? Where is the Pope and doesn't he have moral authority over his subordinates? We, the faithful Catholics, demand an answer. History will judge the Pope as 'that leader who encouraged decadence'. How can you molest a kid or let anyone molest a kid? You have to be a real moron or an incorrigible vampire to even think of committing such a crime. 'Cardinal' Law is an accomplice and needs to be locked up yesterday. As I was watching CNN when the news on Cocaine abuse by priests was being aired, I wept. I don't think the days of Sodom and Gomorah were any worse than inside the Archdiocese of Boston. It is also high time all priests get married and I do not see why the Vatican remains adamant and hangs on to archaic and irrelevant 'way of doing things'. The majority of those that are not gay indulge in acts of sexual misconduct time and again. Thumbs up to the Voice of the Faithful and I hope the laity will restore order in the Church. We need to do our best!

PAUL , DALLAS, TX

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy