Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on Cardinal Law and the abuse scandal

Some have suggested that Cardinal Bernard Law should resign for his failure to remove former priest John Geoghan from contact with children years ago, when Law first learned of allegations that Geoghan was abusing boys. The cardinal has apologized for his inaction, but said he will not resign. We asked Boston.com users if they are satisfied with what Cardinal Law has said and done in the matter thus far, and if he should resign.

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Page 1

I think Bernard Law should resign. It has taken all this publicity to bring him to do something he should have done long ago. I don't trust his judgment and I don't think he is fit to lead the Catholic Church in this area!
Michelle, Boston

Cardinal Law should do the morally correct thing and resign. In my opinion, the church looking the other way is the same as condoning this abuse. I believe Cardinal Law is just as guilty as John Geoghan for crimes against innocent children.
Recovering Catholic, Melrose

If he really wants to do all he can to help the abused psychologically, he should step down now. Otherwise he is speaking out of both sides of his mouth. He had admitted knowing of abuse and not reporting it to authorities. As of this week that is now official Vatican policy. This is a Church acting outside of the law. At least charges should be brought against Mr. Law.
Ralph, Boston

I strongly feel that Cardinal Law should resign immediately; he is just as guilty as John Geoghan for allowing him to hurt so many children. His apologies are not sincere and he doesn't deserve to stay in his position. He could have make a difference in this case but opted to overlooked the crimes that Geoghan committed against those 130 children (or may be even more). The press and public should keep on pressing to get Cardinal Law to resign, he is a disgrace.
Pier, Waltham

Cardinal Law, as with anyone else who fails to to do their job as assigned, should resign from his position as archbishop. And why not? Take a look at Enron and the other companies whose CEOs are resigning for misconduct. Law is no different from any other shady CEO, and the Boston Archdiocese is no different from the other companies who engage in dubious activities. Law has forever tarnished his image and has violated our trust. For that he must leave.
Rich, Jamaica Plain

I truly believe Cardinal Law should resign. Having attended Catholic school as child, I know that one would ever say no to a priest. There seems to little concern on the part of the church for the victims, and many prayers for the criminal.
Maureen, Schenectady, NY

As a member of the clergy, I am appalled at the Cardinal's behavior. Years of compounded abuse have happened on his watch and a simple apology is not enough. It is time for him to really accept responsibility and step down.
Deborah, Framingham

I feel in order for the Archdiocese to go on and heal Law needs to resign. He has gathered around him his close advisors who are obviously out of touch with parishioners. It is in the best interest of his flock to resign handing over the reins to someone who is more in touch with the people of the parishes.
Ann, Casa Grande, Arizona

Cardinal Law should resign immediately. His failure to do so only adds to the mistrust and skepticism the faithful have in their church at a time when many are seeking true spiritual and Divine guidance in an often turbulent world. To think of the pain and suffering of over 100 children while Law turned a blind eye and ignorant ear. SHAME ! Cardinal - RESIGN NOW!
K.S., Hopkington

I hope that the Cardinal, upon some reflection, will come to the same conclusion that I'm sure many Catholics already have. That is: that the Catholic Church needs role models that will extend a hand to the young - not make them want to run the other way. Who is worse? The 'man' with an 'illness' or the 'man' that enables one with an illness? I wouldn't offer my alcoholic friend a drink? Nor would I give him directions to another bar.
Elizabeth, Boston

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy