Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on Cardinal Law and the abuse scandal

Some have suggested that Cardinal Bernard Law should resign for his failure to remove former priest John Geoghan from contact with children years ago, when Law first learned of allegations that Geoghan was abusing boys. The cardinal has apologized for his inaction, but said he will not resign. We asked Boston.com users if they are satisfied with what Cardinal Law has said and done in the matter thus far, and if he should resign.

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Page 10

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Cardinal Law has seen fit to wash the feet of the lowest in society, and we too should be there to support him when he needs the support of the people of Boston.
Jeremy, Anaheim, Calif.

I agree with the voices that are calling for Cardinal Law's resignation. The church's turning a blind eye toward this type of abuse goes directly to Cardinal Law. He too should be held responsible and be prosecuted for the treatment and behavior that has harmed so many children over the years. He apparently thought the abuse of the children by John Geoghan was acceptable. Regaining trust in the church can only start when Cardinal Law is no longer in a position of authority.
Catherine, Methuen

It is about time Cardinal Law puts children first. It will be interesting to see if they actually produce all the names they have--and they have MANY. It should be a policy in all the Dioceses to reveal those names of priests who have committed these crimes, after all it IS the law to report such acts of sexual assault. The Church is nothing but a business and it is about time they realize that they are NOT ABOVE the law. I applaud the many victims, who through the years have suffered at the hands of the attorneys and church representatives when reporting the abuse, and have not backed down to their victimizing tactics. I applaud the Globe for its' courage in exposing this secret. Let's be sure that ALL Dioceses do this- including Worcester, who has just as bad a track record in the area of child sexual abuse by its' priests...I should know, I am a survivor and I will not be silent until their behavior changes!
Cynthia, Augusta, Maine

I feel that the question of Cardinal Law's resignation is not a matter for public debate. This should be viewed as an internal church matter. Yes, the cases of abuse are serious and need to be dealt with, but let us not forget 99% of the clergy, who do their best under most trying conditions. They need our support. "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord". Finally, It is the duty of the Press to Report the news, not to Make the news.
Bill, Salem, Mass.

I think he should be prosecuted as an accessory to these terrible crimes that he allowed to go on.
Dave, Newburyport

Law made many incompetent errors. Based on incompetence and what seems to be indifference to the potential damage that can be done, I believe he should resign. Good deeds, not empty words!
Jim, Glendale, Calif.

I am Jewish. Cardinal Law has done a terrific job of reaching out to our community. As a result, I respect Cardinal Law greatly. He is an extraordinary man. He should not resign.
Paul, Weston

The Cardinal should step down, or at the very least "retire." If he were the principal of a school or administrator of a hospital or CEO of a company, that would be the least that would be expected for such an egregious error. Such a move would be a sign to Catholics like me, and to the public in general, that the Church recognizes the seriousness of the problem and is making a serious effort to address it.
Colleen, Bridgewater

I am a counselor who has worked with many patients who were abused sexually and emotionally by priests in their childhood.They were not believed nor was anything done to correct the abuse. They went on to distrust society and especially the church, and often became alcoholics and drug abusers. The catholic church has not accepted the responsibility for ruining all these lives, and continues to protect the abusers. I am ashamed to be called a catholic. I am ashamed of a church that does wrong, to girls as well as boys, refuses to admit the wrong , and spends millions covering up the sins and crimes of its priests. Law should resign, and do penance for the evil he has condoned. He should spend the rest of his life making ammends, and asking God's and the victims' forgiveness!
S.B., Stanfordville

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy