Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on Cardinal Law and the abuse scandal

Some have suggested that Cardinal Bernard Law should resign for his failure to remove former priest John Geoghan from contact with children years ago, when Law first learned of allegations that Geoghan was abusing boys. The cardinal has apologized for his inaction, but said he will not resign. We asked Boston.com users if they are satisfied with what Cardinal Law has said and done in the matter thus far, and if he should resign.

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Page 3

Nixon resigned, which was honorable. Clinton didn't, which was not honorable. The former archbishop in Cardiff, Wales, resigned when he had mishandled a sex scandal. But it doesn't appear that our cardinal will. Law seems to be looking out for himself rather than the Church that he claims to love. So the cardinal proclaimed a wish that he had a time machine? What a disgrace!
Mike, Boston

Cardinal Law is merely an example of an overall policy by the Catholic Church that has almost completely undermined its' validity as a moral institution. Although I have fortunately not suffered any abuse, it is at least partially due to the church's stand on this matter that I am no longer a practicing Catholic, and do not expect to ever be one again. Jesus condemned the practice of hypocricy, and in many ways the church has maintained its' position as a hypocritical organization. They are the modern day Pharisees. The Catholic Church should be torn down and rebuilt in 3 days, and neither Cardinal Law, nor the men like him that make up this all too human organization have the power to do that.
Terrance, North Andover

The Cardinal has made some big mistakes, and he knows it. He's been a great spiritual leader in this area for people of all faiths. Everybody needs to back off and cut him some slack right now. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. He's done a lot more that's good than bad. I'm sure he'll fix these problems, and I don't think this will ever happen aqain.
Thomas, Littleton

For the first time in my life, I am alarmed at the thought of having to place my faith in the hands of the Catholic church! I feel strongly that priests and nuns should be able to maintain a non-celibate lifestyle while serving in the priesthood. This has been going on much too long and I now believe that the Archdiocese should revisit the Canon Laws on this absurd rule of celibacy.
D.C., Boston

Cardinal Law should resign. As Christians, we are called to forgive him his sins, but that does not mean we are barred from examining his conduct. As leader of the Archdiocese, he had a special responsibility to the people of the archdiocese. He chose to sacrifice their trust to protect a priest. I believe that what he did was criminal -- along the lines of reckless endangerment. If he made those choices in the secular world, he would be standing trial along with John Geoghan. Moreover, Cardinal Law himself has shown himself to be harsh in his judgment when it suits him. Consider the case of Sister Jeanette, the nun whose work with the homeless and whose ministry through the Jesuit Urban Center made many people think of her as a living saint. When Sister Jeanette overstepped her bounds as a nun and played too active a role in a baptism, she was forced out of her ministry with the Jesuit Urban Center with the full knowledge and support of Cardinal Law. Who was injured by Sister Jeanette's "mistake"? Compare that to those who were injured by the Cardinal's admitted error. Sometime leadership is knowing when to admit you were wrong -- and not just when your feet are to the fire. Cardinal Law should offer his resignation as a true Act of Contrition.
Julie, Westford

Of course he should resign, from his position as Cardinal and probably from the priesthood generally.
Richard, Boston

Cardinal Law was grossly negligent and reckless with innocent peoples lives....He should hold himself accountable for his poor decisions and step down.
Sean, Newton

Cardinal Law should resign or be forced out. If he could not come to the conclusion that keeping children safe was the highest priority for all of those years, his judgment should not be trusted now. He did not take action until the press and courts forced him to. People should boycott services until he leaves.
Patricia, Walpole

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy