Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on Cardinal Law and the abuse scandal

Some have suggested that Cardinal Bernard Law should resign for his failure to remove former priest John Geoghan from contact with children years ago, when Law first learned of allegations that Geoghan was abusing boys. The cardinal has apologized for his inaction, but said he will not resign. We asked Boston.com users if they are satisfied with what Cardinal Law has said and done in the matter thus far, and if he should resign.

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Page 7

I am not satsfied by Cardinal Law's response to allegations that former priest John Geoghan was abusing boys. As the CEO for a US division (Archdiocese of Boston) of a multi-million dollar, multi-national corporation that is the Roman Catholic Church, I think that Bernard Cardinal Law owes it to the faithful of Boston to accept responsibilty for prolonging the amount of time that Geoghan had access to children, and should resign!
M.F., Lexington

He most definately should resign. How can Catholics have any trust under his leadership? I'm disgusted that he swept this under the rug and allowed Geoghan to perform "priestly" duties. How could he think that more children would not be harmed? He erred in judgement. How many other bad calls has he made that we don't know about? Lucky for them my child was not one of the victims.
Jim, Marlboro

Its disgusting that the man would not step down after what he's allowed to happen to these children. I'm ashamed to say I'm Catholic. Its not right to allow someone to take the innocence of a child ever but to add to the disgrace, they were praying to God for forgiveness and in being so comsumed in religious belief they probably thought they were forgiven. Its sick.
Liz, Boston

I think it is awful that this has continued to happen for so long, I think a major step in correcting problems going forward has happened.This should stop it from happening again. Since this was handled as it was I think Cardinal should remain in his current position for the immediate future, and reevaluate the situation down the road, when clearer heads will prevail.
Paul, Montgomery, N.Y.

I think he should resign. Does he have any idea what he has put these families through? He knew about this abuse back in the 80's, and did nothing about it! Having gone to school with the nuns and priests back in the 60's, we were taught to obey them and do exactly what they said. They were supposed to be taking the place of your parents during the school day or when at church. If your parents knew about something like this happening, and did nothing, they would have been arrested!
Karen, Somerville

After betraying Jesus, Judas realized his mistake and killed himself. Judas obviously felt terrible about what he had done. Apparently, the Cardinal doesn't feel bad enough about his "mistake" to "kill" his career. It seems to me that the Cardinal isn't fully aware of the harm that his "mistake" caused to so many innocent children. I don't expect the Cardinal to ever punish himself for his role in this terrible affair. Does anyone really believe that Cardinal Law would be taking any action against priests who molest children if it were not for the intense media coverage? He's know about the abuse for years by Geoghan and other priests but never lifted a finger to stop it. I wonder why he never felt bad about the abuse until a camera was pointed at him.
Donald, Nashua

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy