Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 23
Law's words frame new play

March 2
Wary Catholics return to church

January 25, 2004
Churches report attendance up

January 4, 2004
Dot parish struggles to survive

December 28
Hudson fill-in priest welcomed

December 12
Law prays daily for diocese

November 22
Assignment for Law expected

November 20
Policies on VOTF reconsidered

September 19
Crisis issues in church's future

September 18
Meeting ban at parish is lifted

August 4
O'Malley given warm welcome

August 1
Lawmakers see shades of gray

July 31
An angry protest, and prayers
Voices of protest and support
Three in crowd bound in hope
At BC, optimistic students watch

July 29
Lay group to engage O'Malley

July 24
Many outraged after AG's report

July 21
Law to skip bishop installation

July 18
O'Malley invites Law, victims

July 11
Bishops seek private opinions

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

MESSAGE BOARD

Your thoughts on Cardinal Law and the abuse scandal

Some have suggested that Cardinal Bernard Law should resign for his failure to remove former priest John Geoghan from contact with children years ago, when Law first learned of allegations that Geoghan was abusing boys. The cardinal has apologized for his inaction, but said he will not resign. We asked Boston.com users if they are satisfied with what Cardinal Law has said and done in the matter thus far, and if he should resign.

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

Page 8

Rape is a crime. If a CEO of a company has a salesperson working at that company and that salesperson rapes the customers, the salesperson is a criminal. If the CEO has knowledge that the salesperson has been raping the customers, then the CEO needs to fire the employee as well as report the criminal behavior to the police. If the CEO instead transfers the salesperson to another division, then the CEO is guilty of, at a minimum, harboring a criminal. I am a practicing Catholic; This shouldn't be a conversation about religion. This is about a company gone astray ethically, morally, and legally. No one person is bigger than the Church. Cardinal Law MUST resign as should any other officer of the company who had prior knowledge of the rapes.
Glenn, Newburyport

Having first hand knowledge of Father Geoghan's behavior and not taking him out of the priesthood and not reporting him to the proper authorities makes him as guilty as Father Geoghan and he should resign from the church as well.
Charles, Hollis, N.H.

Cardinal Law aided and abetted a known criminal for many years. This is against the law. Cardinal Law should be imprisoned for the maximum amount of time under the law. If he would like to preach from jail, so be it.
Carole, Boston

Law should not resign, he should be thrown out and denied his pension. His pension should be divided among his victims. I agree with the listener who recommended that Catholics should withhold their financial support AND let the Church know that it will not be resumed until Law is gone.
Christine, Hingham

I think Cardinal Law should be brought up on charges as much as Geoghan. He should definitely resign. He knowingly allowed a sexual predator pray on children for years. These children and their families came to the church to express their love for God, and what they got was heartache and abuse from priest, a person who should be trusted. Cardinal Law is just as guilty as Geoghan. Even I as a Catholic believe this to be so.
Nicole, Boston

I think he's a stand-up guy.
Gordon, Arlington

I am satisfied that this issue will now be treated in a different manner and that Cardinal Law will further exert his leadership. I think the problem was structural as well, in terms of the bureaucracy of the Church and that there is plenty of blame to go around. I do not think Cardinal Law should resign. Rather, I think he should be judged on the totality of his tenure as Cardinal.
Chris, West Springfield

Cardinal Law has been extremely negligent in his handling of the Geoghan case. He and his disciples should be held accountable for their lack of leadership and lack of concern for the many victims of dysfunctional priests. If the Cardinal was a principal in a public school protecting abusive teachers, he would not be given the opportunity to resign, he would be fired! Thank God I'm not a Catholic, if my money was supporting the Cardinal I would be outraged!
Bob, Andover

Response pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15 

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy