Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 11
Victims' lawyer to sue Dupre

March 6
Suit accuses insurer of fraud

March 5
Charges against bishop eyed

March 1
Activists seek sex abuse panel

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 13
Springfield probe is sought

January 7, 2004
Agents faced reluctant aides

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 30
Hard line set on abuse trials

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 12
Victims seen taking settlement

September 11
Church deal a boon for lawyers

September 10
Church in $85 million accord
Archdiocese facing new strains
Most plaintiffs to accept deal
O'Malley makes an appeal

September 9
Negotiations resume in cases

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Springfield diocese gives prosecutors abuse files

By Globe Staff, 3/15/2002

The Springfield diocese, which had been resisting giving prosecutors information about priests who have been accused of sexually abusing children, turned the records over this week, officials say.

Prosecutors responsible for the four counties in Western Massachusetts covered by the Springfield diocese said they received the information this week in letters from the diocese that were dated last Friday.

Neither the prosecutors nor a spokesman for the diocese, Michael Graziano, would say how many priests or how many alleged victims were named in the information forwarded to prosecutors.

In a statement he gave the Union-News of Springfield last month, Bishop Thomas L. Dupre said six diocese priests had been removed from parish work during the past decade for sexual abuse. Dupre said the diocese's Misconduct Commission, created in 1993 in response to criminal sex abuse charges that a diocese priest eventually pleaded guilty to, voted to remove four priests, while two were removed by the diocese.

This story ran on page A17 of the Boston Globe on 3/15/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy