Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 11
Victims' lawyer to sue Dupre

March 6
Suit accuses insurer of fraud

March 5
Charges against bishop eyed

March 1
Activists seek sex abuse panel

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 13
Springfield probe is sought

January 7, 2004
Agents faced reluctant aides

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 30
Hard line set on abuse trials

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 12
Victims seen taking settlement

September 11
Church deal a boon for lawyers

September 10
Church in $85 million accord
Archdiocese facing new strains
Most plaintiffs to accept deal
O'Malley makes an appeal

September 9
Negotiations resume in cases

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Citing statute of limitations, DA drops Spagnolia case

By Matt Carroll, Globe Staff, 3/16/2002

The case against the Rev. D. George Spagnolia, who was forced out of his parish in Lowell by the Boston archdiocese for allegedly sexually abusing a child, will not be pursued because the statute of limitations has run out on the alleged crime, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said yesterday.

Spagnolia was ousted from St. Patrick's in Lowell on Feb. 20 for allegedly molesting a 14-year-old boy 31 years ago in Roxbury. He vehemently denied the charge and parishioners rallied to the popular pastor's cause.

But within days, he admitted he had lied when he told a Globe reporter that he had been celibate during a 20-year absence from the church. He has acknowledged having two gay relationships during that period.

Spagnolia had urged prosecutors, in interviews with the media, to conduct a quick investigation, but Conley said Spagnolia declined to be interviewed, ''as is his right.'' The district attorney's office said from the beginning it appeared the alleged crime was outside the six-year statute of limitations.

Spagnolia could not be reached for comment.

Wendy Murphy, who represents the alleged victim, said it was no surprise. ''I told my client from day one, I don't expect a criminal investigation,'' she said. ''It's been 30 years.''

Donna M. Morrissey, a spokeswoman for the archdiocese, said, ''We are in the process of reviewing the allegation against Father Spagnolia and he will remain on administrative leave until that process has been completed.''

This story ran on page A12 of the Boston Globe on 3/16/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy