Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update: the Globe is launching

Crux, a Catholic news site

Please visit there for continuing Globe coverage of all Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

April 7
Vt. church in record settlement

March 14
In Albany, bishop profile raised
Book Review: Guard of lies

February 28
Church hierarchy faulted
More than 80% of victims male

February 27
Diocese gives abuse data
Abuse peaked in '60s
2d man to aid Dupre case

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 24
Sniezyk clarifies his remarks

February 23
Prelate: Harm unrecognized

February 21
Springfield report questioned

February 20
Lawyer: Sermon riled accuser

February 17
4% of priests in US accused

February 12
Bishop resigns after claims

February 6
Arlington priest cited in suit

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

N.Y. priest accused of raping boy is arrested

By Tom Farragher, Globe Staff, 4/2/2002

A Catholic priest accused of raping a young boy at the child's Billerica home nearly three decades ago was arrested yesterday in New York City, authorities said.

The Rev. Romano Ferraro, 67, of the Jamaica section of New York was indicted by a Middlesex County grand jury last Thursday and is charged with rape of a child and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14.

Ferraro has never been assigned to a parish in Massachusetts, said Emily LaGrassa, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex district attorney's office.

Ferraro ''was visiting acquaintances in Billerica on several occasions between 1973 and 1980, and that's when the incidents are alleged to have occurred,'' said LaGrassa.

The victim contacted Middlesex County's child abuse unit in September to report the alleged assaults.

''After an investigation, we presented the case to the grand jury last week,'' LaGrassa said.

Ferraro, who was taken into custody by the New York City Police special victims squad, could be arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court this week if he does not fight rendition back to Massachusetts.

He must first be arraigned in New York on charges of being a fugitive from justice.

The statute of limitations for the alleged attacks would have expired had Ferraro remained in Massachusetts. But because he lived outside the state ''the clock on the statute of limitations was stopped,'' LaGrassa said.

The allegations against Ferraro were first reported to authorities last fall before the clergy sexual abuse scandal rocked the Archdiocese of Boston and the Catholic Church nationwide.

Cardinal Bernard F. Law has acknowledged that at least 80 Boston priests have been accused of sexually abusing minors during the last five decades. He has apologized for the church's past practice of allowing priests accused of abuse to continue to work in parishes.

Tom Farragher can be reached at farragher@globe.com.

This story ran on page B2 of the Boston Globe on 4/2/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy