Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

March 11
Victims' lawyer to sue Dupre

March 6
Suit accuses insurer of fraud

March 5
Charges against bishop eyed

March 1
Activists seek sex abuse panel

February 26
Alleged victim to aid probe

February 13
Springfield probe is sought

January 7, 2004
Agents faced reluctant aides

December 3
Church settles with victim

November 15
Settlement fuels money advice

November 12
Claims set aside until 2004

October 30
Hard line set on abuse trials

October 21
Most plaintiffs accept deal

October 19
Therapy sought in abuse suit

October 17
Lawyer says settlement near

October 8
Victims agonize over deal

September 12
Victims seen taking settlement

September 11
Church deal a boon for lawyers

September 10
Church in $85 million accord
Archdiocese facing new strains
Most plaintiffs to accept deal
O'Malley makes an appeal

September 9
Negotiations resume in cases

Earlier stories

Search for:
Time period:

Spotlight Report

BILLERICA CASE

Brooklyn priest pleads not guilty to assaults

By John Ellement, Globe Staff, 4/9/2002


The Rev. Romano Ferraro at his arraignment on rape and abuse charges. (AP Photo)

CAMBRIDGE - Holding a book of prayers for priests in his hands, a suspended Brooklyn priest yesterday pleaded not guilty to charges he raped and molested the son of a family friend while visiting the family's Billerica home over a seven-year period ending in 1980.

The Rev. Romano Ferraro, who has never been assigned to a Massachusetts parish, has spent most of his clerical career in the New York City area following his ordination in 1960, according to church records and his attorney, Joseph S. Oteri.

Oteri said Ferraro has been suspended as a priest for the past 13 years, but would not specify why the sanction was imposed on him by the Diocese of Brooklyn.

''He is a terribly conflicted man who is really a decent human being,'' Oteri said of the client he met for the first time over the weekend. Oteri said Ferraro has ''serious problems that I'm sure will be worked out over time.''

Oteri would not clarify his meaning, saying that Middlesex County prosecutors potentially could use his answers against his client.

Oteri said later that Ferraro has no other connection to Massachusetts.

Ferraro is charged with one count of rape of a child and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14, charges that were filed after his alleged victim ended more than 20 years of silence and contacted law enforcement last year.

The victim, who is believed to be in his mid-30s, watched intently yesterday as Ferraro walked into Middlesex Superior Court carrying a book that Oteri identified as a book of prayers for priests. The victim declined to speak with reporters, but a family friend, attorney Jeffrey A. Dretler, read a brief written statement following the arraignment.

''This is the first step towards reclaiming a life that was taken from me in my early childhood,'' the statement said.

''I hope by coming forward I give strength to others who are afraid to speak out.''

In court, Middlesex Assistant District Attorney Katharine Folger said Ferraro would force the victim to sleep naked, performed oral sex on the child, and forced the alleged victim to stroke his genitals while Ferraro stroked the child's genitals. The victim was 7 when the assaults began and 13 when they concluded, she said. She said the victim reported that Ferraro would close the bedroom door and shut off the lights and that the adult would lie on top of the child, making him feel ''boxed in.''

Folger said Ferraro was friends with the victim's father and would arrive, unannounced, at the family's home in Billerica. She described the family as ''very religious.''

The allegations against Ferraro were investigated by authorities from Massachusetts and New York City. At Oteri's request, Judge Elizabeth Fahey impounded a court record that detailed a statement Ferraro allegedly made to New York authorities following his arrest last week.

The judge accepted the request of prosecutors and set bail at $50,000 cash. Oteri said Ferraro's sister, who lives in the New York City area, would post that amount soon, possibly by today.

Meanwhile, Ferraro was being held at the Middlesex County jail.

This story ran on page A13 of the Boston Globe on 4/9/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy