Back to Boston.com homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online Cars.com BostonWorks Real Estate Boston.com Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Boston.com Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
 Latest coverage

April 6
Church settles with four in suit

February 25, 2004
Priest was a potential witness

July 22
CEO would testify of abuse

May 8
Personal records are barred

April 8
Victim's memory is questioned

April 5
Archdiocese motion granted

February 28
Disagreement over court dates

January 28, 2003
Steps on Shanley are detailed

January 14, 2003
Former vicar admits he erred

December 12
Shanley is released on bail

December 10
Shanley may be freed on bail

December 1
Battle over files intensifies

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Lawyer seeks more records on Shanley

By Matt Carroll, 4/17/2002

The lawyer for a young man who says he was abused by the Rev. Paul R. Shanley plans to argue in Middlesex Superior Court in Cambridge today that the Archdiocese of Boston has failed to turn over all documents relevant to the case.

Attorney Roderick MacLeish Jr., who said he is not sure how many documents are missing, also will ask for the psychological records of the priest, which are now in the hands of the archdiocese, and for the records of nine other priests.

As an example of missing documents, MacLeish said he has received no records from Sister Rita McCarthy, who worked for the archdiocese screening people who said they had been sexually abused by priests. In an affidavit, ''John Doe'' said he was interviewed by McCarthy in March, but the notes of his interview were not turned over. Another church official told him the notes were missing, according to the affidavit.

Also, Gregory Ford, 24, the plaintiff in the civil suit against Shanley, spoke with the Middlesex district attorney's office yesterday, MacLeish said. Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley has said previously that she is weighing criminal charges against Shanley.

This story ran on page A13 of the Boston Globe on 4/17/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.


© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy